Who are you - stylewise?

In 2017 I had a complete style shift. I’ve spoken about heading towards minimalism in other threads which sort of applies. But I remember specifically what caused the shift. I was vacillating about what I should wear for a Valentines dinner out. I was looking at the standby red lace dress. And I. was. so. bored. I thought to myself- what would be sort of an anti-valentines look? Not so much to be different for the hell of it. But rather, I couldn’t spend another traditional night, in a traditional French restaurant, in a traditional red lace dress.

I thought to myself, a tuxedo would be perfect. I was always inspired by Nan Kempner’s Saint Laurent Le Smoking story (she took off her trousers and used the tuxedo jacket as a dress when NYC restaurant Le Côte Basque told her women weren’t allowed in while wearing men’s trousers).

Also (very polarizing) I was seeing this minimal menswear done in an updated sexy way by Kim Kardashian. Usually her style is not my cup of tea, but 2017 aligned with my taste. And like an above poster mentioned, Blake Lively’s character in a Simple Favor did some amazing menswear looks.

That night I felt the most me I’ve ever felt. From then on, I dropped color/pattern and a lot of my previous girly looks. It’s cool neutral tones, and much more androgynous sleek.

I’ll post photos of the inspiration, as well as my closet. Also a more detailed look at my pieces if you’re interested:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/enter-the-void.1012370/

Attachments

• F8E37E9C-9B63-43D9-9636-B65E274175A5.jpeg
    F8E37E9C-9B63-43D9-9636-B65E274175A5.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 5361AA65-A6E5-4A31-BF0F-987589E6B6AC.jpeg
    5361AA65-A6E5-4A31-BF0F-987589E6B6AC.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 1FAEDFB6-704B-4719-BAED-9C6673537D7C.jpeg
    1FAEDFB6-704B-4719-BAED-9C6673537D7C.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 221
  • FAC1FAB0-07BD-47A4-AD83-87BFE7DFB4D1.jpeg
    FAC1FAB0-07BD-47A4-AD83-87BFE7DFB4D1.jpeg
    96.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 7C0C719B-F60A-4BD9-AEAE-2C4534A3EBA1.jpeg
    7C0C719B-F60A-4BD9-AEAE-2C4534A3EBA1.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 234
  • 9DFA09A2-6A5B-456C-8BCF-39CCF8DBCC6D.jpeg
    9DFA09A2-6A5B-456C-8BCF-39CCF8DBCC6D.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 966ADBB8-BEFE-4947-9B92-D308C687AC64.jpeg
    966ADBB8-BEFE-4947-9B92-D308C687AC64.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
I'm 33 and feel like I'm just figuring it out. I used to be a hardcore Anthropologie devotee (circa 2007-2012 era) in my early-mid 20's. I put on a significant amount of weight, and just went with whatever fit. Lots of BR/BR Factory to get me through the work day. Some Anthro mixed in.

I've been on a (slow) weight loss journey for the last year and a half, and my interest in clothing has been restored. My husband and I decided to watch A Simple Favor last year, and couple my weight loss and career trajectory, and I felt like I had a style epiphany. Not full-on balls-to-the-wall Emily Nelson wearing a head to toe tuxedo in a park in the middle of the day androgyny, but tailored shirts, smart jackets, well-fitting pants, etc.. No spoiler, but seeing her veer ultra-feminine at the end was also inspiring. She could wear it all and looked damn good doing it.

In addition, Trinny Woodall has a weekly "Closet Confessions" which are just a master class in dressing well while wearing things you love. Based on your original post, I HIGHLY recommend! Even though I have a different body type (most notably, I'm petite/short), I have learned so much about myself and what works and doesn't work for me.

Between the two, my jacket/outerwear collection has grown exponentially. I have also expanded my button down shirt collection (including some pretty incredible tuxedo shirts, but happy to find more of those) and learned how to layer them appropriately with jackets, sweaters, and even some sparkle. Separately, I'm still very girly and I love (LOVE) iridescent things, and metallics. I've collated a an iridescent handbag and fabulous shoe collection over the past few years. While I almost always feel put together now (with or without a jacket), I still feel like my personality shines through and my French maximalist heart still sings thanks to my accessories.

Hell, it must because I literally wore a confetti (glitter and swarovski-encrusted) tuxedo jacket to work this past Monday and no one found it odd! I texted this picture to my husband in the morning and said "DOING IT!" As I braced myself for lots of smart comments, but...no! I got quite a few compliments actually, from men and women alike.

View attachment 4684454

It's not perfect, but I definitely feel like I'm finding my groove. And I LOVE what is in my closet these days. It's fun, can be very professional, or relaxed but polished.
The menswear looks in a Simple Favor completely inspired a style shift in me as well!

My style is very classic, romantic, feminine. I love ruffles, lace, floral prints, soft colors. I do follow trends sometimes but only if they work for me. I have a very tiny/petite body frame and so I tend to stay away from bodycon dresses or tight clothing. I love puffy sleeves and things that add volume. I rarely wear casual clothing like t-shirts and jeans although I love that casual laid back look but I would always pick a nice blouse over a t-shirt.

In 2017 I had a complete style shift. I’ve spoken about heading towards minimalism in other threads which sort of applies. But I remember specifically what caused the shift. I was vacillating about what I should wear for a Valentines dinner out. I was looking at the standby red lace dress. And I. was. so. bored. I thought to myself- what would be sort of an anti-valentines look? Not so much to be different for the hell of it. But rather, I couldn’t spend another traditional night, in a traditional French restaurant, in a traditional red lace dress.

I thought to myself, a tuxedo would be perfect. I was always inspired by Nan Kempner’s Saint Laurent Le Smoking story (she took off her trousers and used the tuxedo jacket as a dress when NYC restaurant Le Côte Basque told her women weren’t allowed in while wearing men’s trousers).

Also (very polarizing) I was seeing this minimal menswear done in an updated sexy way by Kim Kardashian. Usually her style is not my cup of tea, but 2017 aligned with my taste. And like an above poster mentioned, Blake Lively’s character in a Simple Favor did some amazing menswear looks.

That night I felt the most me I’ve ever felt. From then on, I dropped color/pattern and a lot of my previous girly looks. It’s cool neutral tones, and much more androgynous sleek.

I’ll post photos of the inspiration, as well as my closet. Also a more detailed look at my pieces if you’re interested:

This looks incredibly cool. I love tuxes and menswear especially on very feminine women. Also there is, I think, a thin line of looking cool and stylish in an tux or in menswear opposed to looking like you just want to fit in. The fit of the blazer is key imho.
What I loved was the style of Quinn in Unreal, actress constance zimmer.
What I don't understand is that women in TV or in Movies often wear sleeveless or shortsleeved things in Winter - I would freeze. Especially since all the men wear a longsleeved shirt and a Blazer.
I am an adrogynous type, but I often wear pantsuits. The blazer has to be sharp, otherwise I look like I borrowed it from may granddad. So all these oversized options now do nothing for me. 5 years ago I wore a pixie haircut and thought of myself als jean seberg.

What I also love (after looking through my outfit archives) is a white skirt or trousers with a black shirt.

Reactions: mal and Aerdem

Side note oooohhhhhhmmmmyyyygoooddddd the Prada wedges. I die. I think the biggest hinderance to my style (but then salvation of my wallet) is I’m a big shoe size. I for the life of me couldn’t get those in a 41/42.

Dear fellow PFers,
I hope this is not something you already discussed a lot - but I didn't find a similar thread.
I am 43 years old and had a certain style until a few years ago (I guess - because sometimes the past seems easier than it was at that time). So: I started out living in a big city wearing edgy clothes with a 1920ies vintage vibe. I wore a bob haircut, dyed black and dresses. I danced argentine Tango so styled accordingly.
I moved to a smaller city with a more expensive style (labels are more important and wearing classy styles). I the evolved towards a 'hipster' style with skinny jeans and oversized printed shirts (like a vintage rolling stones shirt with black skinny jeans and sneakers).
Since three years I have a job with more prestige, managing a bigger team and being kind of a CEO. I started buying handbags, I wear Massimo Dutti pantsuits but that's it. When I work from home (two days a week) I wear sweatpants mostly.
What I am searching for is a kind of a picture of how I want to look, what I want to express... I tried a preppy style but that's not me. What I am trying now is dark skinny jeans with boat-striped shirts and navy blazers...

Maybe this is a strange question. But when and how did you find out who you are stylewise? And how do you implement it in your lifestyle (for example wearing heels when you are mostly walking etc.)

Style is powerful in service to a dream. I think the secret is to first decide what you really want in your life—what is your big dream, and then imagine who is the woman—your future self— who has already achieved that. What does she look like? What does she wear? In other words, start at the goal and reverse engineer. That way the journey is as much fun as the goal because throughout the process you’re not only heading where you want to go, but also already living as the person you “want” to be. Your style will feel more and more graceful and authentic with practice as you move toward your life goal. This works better I think than trying on roles and costumes and hoping something will feel right and stick but always feeling a little lost.

Style is powerful in service to a dream. I think the secret is to first decide what you really want in your life—what is your big dream, and then imagine who is the woman—your future self— who has already achieved that. What does she look like? What does she wear? In other words, start at the goal and reverse engineer. That way the journey is as much fun as the goal because throughout the process you’re not only heading where you want to go, but also already living as the person you “want” to be. Your style will feel more and more graceful and authentic with practice as you move toward your life goal. This works better I think than trying on roles and costumes and hoping something will feel right and stick but always feeling a little lost.
Thank you. I think this is similar to the wear for the job you want not the job you have rule. I think so too. I found out, that when I wear the clothes in which I feel like I want to feel, it works. But sometimes I think, I don't want to stand out and then I go to work just with a sweater and jeans. But the effect is that I feel even 'smaller'. I will try the new look with more colors, when the home office is over (currently at home due to corona - I don't have it but all the people should work from home).

Thank you for sharing that. Love, love all of your thoughts! Yes, please do share more ideas and images. It is inspiring and so wonderful to hear and you seem in your groove. Awesome. :smile:

Reactions: keodi and poulinska
This looks incredibly cool. I love tuxes and menswear especially on very feminine women. Also there is, I think, a thin line of looking cool and stylish in an tux or in menswear opposed to looking like you just want to fit in. The fit of the blazer is key imho.
What I loved was the style of Quinn in Unreal, actress constance zimmer.
What I don't understand is that women in TV or in Movies often wear sleeveless or shortsleeved things in Winter - I would freeze. Especially since all the men wear a longsleeved shirt and a Blazer.
I am an adrogynous type, but I often wear pantsuits. The blazer has to be sharp, otherwise I look like I borrowed it from may granddad. So all these oversized options now do nothing for me. 5 years ago I wore a pixie haircut and thought of myself als jean seberg.

What I also love (after looking through my outfit archives) is a white skirt or trousers with a black shirt.

Finally developing a clear-eyed understanding of what I actually look like helped a lot. I’m reasonably attractive but I had always styled myself like a glamazon, which I am not. I do not have the flawless proportions of Catherine Deneuve, I am Meg Ryan adorable. When I got that, I could work it and figure out how to be a fabulous version of myself rather than a not-quite-making-it version of what I had thought I looked like.

Thank you for sharing that. Love, love all of your thoughts! Yes, please do share more ideas and images. It is inspiring and so wonderful to hear and you seem in your groove. Awesome. :smile:
So lovely of you to say. And I love what you contributed above about dressing for you future self. Being deliberate in your mindset as well as your dress has incredible power. You feel it. Other people notice. It couldn’t be more true.

Finally developing a clear-eyed understanding of what I actually look like helped a lot. I’m reasonably attractive but I had always styled myself like a glamazon, which I am not. I do not have the flawless proportions of Catherine Deneuve, I am Meg Ryan adorable. When I got that, I could work it and figure out how to be a fabulous version of myself rather than a not-quite-making-it version of what I had thought I looked like.

This ist SO true. But how can you find that out? How did you find that out?

There ist a change in how you look from 40 onwards, I think. My face was doll-like until I guess 35ish, round, with big eyes. Especially since I am 40 my face got a lot thinner, with almost hollow cheeks (don't need contouring). According to Trinny Woodalls Statement, that her legs are short, I measured my legs. My legs seem to be longer than I thought, so this is new to me. But there are not many people who are able to tell you realistically what you look like,

Meg-Ryan-adorable sounds great :smile:

Reactions: Etriers
This ist SO true. But how can you find that out? How did you find that out?

There ist a change in how you look from 40 onwards, I think. My face was doll-like until I guess 35ish, round, with big eyes. Especially since I am 40 my face got a lot thinner, with almost hollow cheeks (don't need contouring). According to Trinny Woodalls Statement, that her legs are short, I measured my legs. My legs seem to be longer than I thought, so this is new to me. But there are not many people who are able to tell you realistically what you look like,

Meg-Ryan-adorable sounds great :smile:

Lol! Well, I guess. I’m okay and look more or less as good (or bad) as anyone I suppose, but it was a pretty big mental shift vs. what I thought I looked like (or wanted to look like) which was on the order of Angelina Jolie. I think it was probably an actress with super short hair like Michelle Williams that paved the way to my thinking that I needed to embrace a more gamine style. When I cut my hair, my face lit up and my neck got longer and my eyes and cheekbones popped. It was just luck that I happened to have a great stylist at the time. So I think maybe a couple of things help find ones style. First, I think your style is there and always has been because it is you and your point of view. 2. I think one must decide on ones big dream and dress for that. 3. I think your environment is as important as your clothes. It is very, very hard to pull one together without pulling the other together. Which is probably worth its own thread. 4. I think there has to be synchronization in the rest of ones life in general. 5. I think it helps to identify current roadblocks to the style one wants. 6. It might be awesome to hire a stylist.

I love your thoughts. And it’s good to be asking the questions because I think our brains work on the answers then even when we’re doing something else.