I quit luxury. Selling all Chanel bags to get back to minimalist style. I feel overwhelmed.

Best wishes to you! Of course whatever makes you happy. If you feel the bags are causing more distress than happiness then definitely let go! But let go of the guilt as well. Whatever you bought made you happy at some point. We waste money on tons of things like cars, hobbies, nail salons... that’s the point of money:smile:. It’s great that you can recoup some of the money spent on bags. That wouldn’t be possible with other items we buy so look at it this way :smile:.
Thank you so much! this means a lot to me.

Every time I see/read an article about some handbag (or brand) being an "investment", I roll my eyes big-time! Bottom line, that may have been true years back - re: Hermes Birkin when they were a lot tougher to get your hands on, but nowadays? ... NOPE! If anything, I'm seeing the opposite .. people are losing a fair amount of $$$ in the resale market and one of the big problems is that there are SO (too) many now!!!

The ONLY investment that I make nowadays is Gold & Diamonds .. BUT, I'm also a Jewelry Designer and Metalsmith (I make my own pieces). So, no more bags for me .. but if I see a good piece of Gold (heavy Gram Weight) for a good price .. then BOOM, I buy it. However, I use that gold (all my work is recycled Gold) .. so, yes .. I do get the return on my $$$.

I suppose you do not lose any money in the resale marekt if you have the rarest and most coveted Hermès bags to sell but it will cost you a not too small fortune to acquire them in the first place and if you are a not a VIP, they will probably never be offered to you anyway.

Concering luxury goods in general: I think it all boils down to the question: Is it really worth it? Does the new bag/scarf/dress give you more joy than something else you could have done with the money? Or with the time it took you to make the money? If yes or if money is absolutely no object whatsoever, then go ahead. And if you still feel uneasy about it, you can even ask yourself: What will become of the things I have amassed when I'm gone? Will my heirs love the stuff I’ve bought and use it or at least treat it as a keepsake? Or would they rather have the equivalent in cash? By now, I’ve had to empty more than one home and it is always sad when you have to give away most of other people’s cherished possessions they spent their hard-earned money on because you already have everything you need and more. (No, there were no luxury handbags among the things I gave away). We should neither burden ourselves nor others with too much stuff. And that is what even the most beautiful bag is in the end.

@RataDrawitra I fully support your decision. #1 investment is yourself and your close relationships. If you found the hobby overwhelming / stressful, then it's time to go back to basics, whichever way suits your personality.

I was taking up a lot of time researching and resisting the marketing by YouTube influencers:giggle: ...but also I enjoy spending time being physically active (running, biking, swimming), traveling and hanging out in nature...and these are not hobbies where I can comfortably enjoy luxury bags, scarves, jewelry, etc. with me. Actually, I gathered up a small collection of ~4 perfumes so I can have a luxury fragrance experience to make up for when I can't suitably use my bags. :smile:

I think I'll always have at least 1-2 Chanel purses and my LV tote because it's added a lot of fun to my life. But I did go through the process of selling a few items at modest losses and that wasn't fun.

I was seeling to Fashionphile, on Tradesy together like $25,000. the last lot of shipments to AFF like $10,000. I am tired of this endless circle and I can't find myself enjoying anymore. I lost a lot of money of cause, I looked back and I am done and I quit. I will use the money for traveling with hubby more. I went for luxurious vacation last week and I find myself the real happiness to fullfill.

Good for you! I also applaud that you are able to quit purchasing as well as sell all your designer bags. It’s really hard to give up the bags that are sitting on my shelf hiding in dust bags. I’ve toyed with the idea of selling. My husband says to just gift them all to our daughter. I have experienced the guilt and regret of impulse buying numerous times, but there’s always that just one more bag that’s just different enough. My latest “maybe” bag is the 19 Flapbag. It taunts me every time I see one!

You have great resolve and I wish you much happiness!

I am not strong enough to deal with my feeling of buying new bags all the time. No middle path for me. I either do luxury or not don't do it at all. Goodbye folks

I know how you feel. I've stopped buying designer bags about a year ago...Now I've moved on to jewelry...lol. A better investment in the long run (both re sale value and lifestyle wise).
I work in the medical field so I can wear my Van Cleef and Tiffany pieces to work while my designer bags don't get to come out as much.
I don't plan on selling my Chanel bags though...they will forever stay in my collection because I still love them and each one has different meaning at some point in my life...my vintage bags especially. :love:

I had the same feeling a few years ago. I believe I wrote about it in a thread that I can't remember the title about. I felt like I wanted to get rid of all my luxury items from bags, shoes and scarves which I put them in a consignment web store. Some of them were sold and some were not. The one that I still hold onto is Chanel cc flap in caviar simply because it holds some memories and gold plated hardware which they don't do that anymore. I had this feeling after I read a the old money book and somehow gave me some different perspectives on luxury goods.

I had the same feeling a few years ago. I believe I wrote about it in a thread that I can't remember the title about. I felt like I wanted to get rid of all my luxury items from bags, shoes and scarves which I put them in a consignment web store. Some of them were sold and some were not. The one that I still hold onto is Chanel cc flap in caviar simply because it holds some memories and gold plated hardware which they don't do that anymore. I had this feeling after I read a the old money book and somehow gave me some different perspectives on luxury goods.

I read a recap of the old money book... felt guilty/silly for a night then it was back to business as usual the next day. Weak!

Same here. I’ve sold so many bags during the past two years. Now I’m very minimalistic too! Sold all of my chanels that now I have 1 mini classic. I’ve sold kelly and birkin that now I have just 1 classic color birkin and 1 classic color kelly. I also didn’t want to have bags in my closet just collecting “dust” - jf I don’t use it at least once per month, then it has to go!

At some point in our lives, we just downsize. Accumulation, obsession, plateau, and downsize. It's a natural progression. Luxury goods hold less and less meaning to me and I would like to de-clutter my life by first getting rid of items I don't use.

I think about retirement, and moving somewhere urban, metropolitan, but smaller in size because of empty nest. In this case, I just don't need so much clothes or bags, furniture, or other collectibles.