I quit luxury. Selling all Chanel bags to get back to minimalist style. I feel overwhelmed.

I thought I was the only one feeling overwhelmed over the chase of buying bags, then I found this thread. Many resonates with me.

One is every woman should own… who has the right to dictate what you must own right? I think it is just often use as a marketing ploy.

Weeks ago, I seemed to be making progress of not buying handbags anymore. In fact, i made a conscious effort to watch or read about minimalism until i came across creating a capsule wardrobe and follow a vlogger. At first, it was fun and educational but then i found the vlogger having this designer bag, that designer bag, so here I am again, trapped in luxury shopping!

I also often wonder how can vloggers own so many handbags without going into debt. I also sometimes wonder if they buy only for content, and just sell them later.

Another thing that I noticed is the fear of missing out. One vlogger said if you plan to buy chanel, do it now… before the price increase. That gives a certain amount of anxiety.

Of course, at the end of the day, it is us who is responsible how we spend our money. Just sharing my observations .

I thought I was the only one feeling overwhelmed over the chase of buying bags, then I found this thread. Many resonates with me.

One is every woman should own… who has the right to dictate what you must own right? I think it is just often use as a marketing ploy.

Weeks ago, I seemed to be making progress of not buying handbags anymore. In fact, i made a conscious effort to watch or read about minimalism until i came across creating a capsule wardrobe and follow a vlogger. At first, it was fun and educational but then i found the vlogger having this designer bag, that designer bag, so here I am again, trapped in luxury shopping!

I also often wonder how can vloggers own so many handbags without going into debt. I also sometimes wonder if they buy only for content, and just sell them later.

Another thing that I noticed is the fear of missing out. One vlogger said if you plan to buy chanel, do it now… before the price increase. That gives a certain amount of anxiety.

Of course, at the end of the day, it is us who is responsible how we spend our money. Just sharing my observations .
Interesting about the part you got into minimalism and capsule wardrobe, because that’s exactly how I got into buying designer bags last year! :rolleyes:

I do have to give credits to these changes though… for one thing it’s certainly eye opening, but the bigger impact was I learned my spending habits, the mental changes when I spend big money, and further, how I should “grow my money” by focusing more on investments (instead of “just work harder”).

I don’t think my money habit would be crushed by stepping into the world of luxury handbags, but I’m not turning into a minimalist neither (I can’t… it’s not in my genes lol). While I do plan to just have a small collection of 3 bags max, I realized it’s all about choices I made in different ages of my life, and I want to be more responsible for my choices (v.s. the stage I spent maybe $100-200 per bag and have 7-8 of them). If these bags I own now can last more than 15 years (of my sense of fashion), I’d call this a successful and sustainable lifestyle change :smile:

Reactions: sophiegray and 880
I love this thread, exchanging ideas that makes us become more self-aware of why we buy luxury goods, what goes on in our minds and the real struggle we commonly face. Hats off to those who have self-control and discipline in maintaining a small collection of bags.

I can live with 30 pieces of clothing but I have more affinity with bags and shoes. They have become my weakness, like they own me, not the other way around. I don’t really have a big collection, I only have one small wallet, one card case, 5 luxury bags and 2 contemporary bags plus 5 non branded ones I bought before this buying spree. Buying spree because those 7 luxury and contemporary bags and 2 SLG are bought within a month!

That worries me. It all started when I began to feel insecure about my weight gain, I thought maybe these high quality goods will make look better. So I bought one and I couldn’t stop! I love the design and fine craftsmanship.

I see a therapist but never brought this up. Somehow, I feel it may appear trivial and maybe I’m afraid to be judged!

Interesting about the part you got into minimalism and capsule wardrobe, because that’s exactly how I got into buying designer bags last year! :rolleyes:

I do have to give credits to these changes though… for one thing it’s certainly eye opening, but the bigger impact was I learned my spending habits, the mental changes when I spend big money, and further, how I should “grow my money” by focusing more on investments (instead of “just work harder”).

I don’t think my money habit would be crushed by stepping into the world of luxury handbags, but I’m not turning into a minimalist neither (I can’t… it’s not in my genes lol). While I do plan to just have a small collection of 3 bags max, I realized it’s all about choices I made in different ages of my life, and I want to be more responsible for my choices (v.s. the stage I spent maybe $100-200 per bag and have 7-8 of them). If these bags I own now can last more than 15 years (of my sense of fashion), I’d call this a successful and sustainable lifestyle change :smile:
I agree that if we can use our bags for 15 years, it is a sustainable lifestyle. This is also what I want my wardrobe to become. So far all of my luxury bags bags are classic shqpes - antigona hard, antigona soft, chanel 19, celine luggage, chanel cc trendy, polene numero un and polene beri. All are in neutral colors aside from chanel cc trendy, which is a pink, my favorite color.

I guess it is the almost never-ending craving for a new bag after buying a new bag that is bothering me. Handbags and shoes are always in my mind and I am spending so much time shopping, researching about it, going to banks to pay and etc..

I think I may be in a place where I don’t desire anymore bags. I luckily have such a lovely collection that meets my needs (Chanel and Hermes). And I checked off my holly grail bags years ago. Sometimes I think well now I need a Chanel 19, but really I don’t. Two reasons, 1) I have a strong feeling it will go the way of the boy , super popular now, not so much later. 2) I just like my reissues and classics better. And the reissue specifically fills the same need as a Chanel 19. Can be worn crossbody, has the back pocket I need for my phone, and gives a more casual look than the classic. So why would I get a 19 when the reissue is more beautiful and less trendy?

Also I have so many bags now that it feels kind of gross getting more. Instead I appreciate what I have. (I really lust over my own closet). Bloggers and influencers do this as a job, they have to buy sell and repeat. That’s what they are in this for, to get views and likes. The vast majority are not that rich at all, it’s all a show.

Lastly, I am moving on to jewelry. Sure a bag adds style, but diamonds in my neck would add elegance and sparkle. With the prices of Chanel now, I’d rather treat myself to that after saving up. Bags at their current prices don’t make sense to me.

Now of course never say never, but it would really need to be a one of a kind color that I can’t live without, and I’d likely only get a size I don’t have. I see nothing right now that appeals to me though. So if that continues, jewelry it is.

I love this thread, exchanging ideas that makes us become more self-aware of why we buy luxury goods, what goes on in our minds and the real struggle we commonly face. Hats off to those who have self-control and discipline in maintaining a small collection of bags.

I can live with 30 pieces of clothing but I have more affinity with bags and shoes. They have become my weakness, like they own me, not the other way around. I don’t really have a big collection, I only have one small wallet, one card case, 5 luxury bags and 2 contemporary bags plus 5 non branded ones I bought before this buying spree. Buying spree because those 7 luxury and contemporary bags and 2 SLG are bought within a month!

That worries me. It all started when I began to feel insecure about my weight gain, I thought maybe these high quality goods will make look better. So I bought one and I couldn’t stop! I love the design and fine craftsmanship.

I see a therapist but never brought this up. Somehow, I feel it may appear trivial and maybe I’m afraid to be judged!
Somehow most of us start buying bags and shoes to fill a void but then we become consumed.
Best thing is you know why you bought them and self-realisation is the first best step.
I think you shd bring this up with your therapist. Am sure you will find a better solution. Best wishes

Somehow most of us start buying bags and shoes to fill a void but then we become consumed.
Best thing is you know why you bought them and self-realisation is the first best step.
I think you shd bring this up with your therapist. Am sure you will find a better solution. Best wishes
What you said is spot on! Filling a void but then we become consumed.