2019 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Good to know I'm not the only one! That's just what I used to do:drinks: I couldn't resist a bargain if it was something i liked and I thought I'd wear for an occasion or as you say different season. I think it's a great idea but for me it just got out of hand, when my son moved out I expanded my wardrobe space and accumulated too much. My weight/size can also fluctuate a size according to how committed I am to healthy eating and things often didn't fit me later :lol:

I needed to change when we decided to downsize our home. It's too big and expensive to run, blah.....blah ..........an ongoing work in progress I've sold, consigned, donated and moved on all clothes with tags, anything that doesn't fit at the moment or I don't wear. I also decided I wouldn't buy anything that I wasn't going to wear that week and only if there was a really good reason why I couldn't wear something I already had :cursing:

Last year was a huge success for me with shopping my own wardrobe and clearing wardrobe space. Then I KonMari'd everything that was left, even DH loved the concept and did his sock drawer :giggle: :angel:

Now I must commit myself to the rest of my stuff
2020 for me will be about doing the same with shoes, scarves and bags :panic:
I hear you! I'm pretty good about cleaning things out that I don't use anymore, but we moved from a small house to a big one, and with so much closet space, it's really easy to get carried away and keep ALLTHETHINGS. This is not the best approach to keeping a workable wardrobe, and my issue now is inadvertently buying things that potentially steal wears from others. I've been tracking wears on everything in my closet, which really helps.

Thank you @Annabel Lee :hugs: I think writing that post clicked things into place for me.....the process of writing it, really helped me understand why i am always buying....and part of that constant buying mode is the mindset of, oohhh, its on sale! Or a good price! And its pretty! so i buy it....instead of waiting and getting something better, that i would want more....and then there is too much stuff and the merry go round of buy/sell/buy....so, now to stop that cycle!

thank you for your kind words....i felt iffy afterward about revealing too much on that post....:flowers:
FWIW, I think your shopping process is one a lot of people share. I really appreciate your openness on it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

:wtf: Oh you are all so very naughty. Do you think you can hide your "sins" in the last few pages of the old thread :no: and have a clean slate for 2020 :eek:

Haha, I'm giggling aloud at this--that is exactly what I'm doing! I did in fact just buy another bag, and I went back and forth on whether to return it. I got a great deal on it, and I can use it, so I eventually decided to keep it, but I'm going to send another one to justify that. It's a Danse Lente bucket bag, and while it has a few points against it, I've been drawn to edgier styles lately, and this was an easy way to test the waters on how well I can integrate that with my wardrobe:

upload_2019-12-26_10-52-38.png

With that, I can comfortably conclude my year-end stats. I had 12 bags and one SLG in, plus eight bags and one SLG out in 2019. In that count are two bags that came in and went right back out, so it's a net of 10 bags/one SLG in and six bags/one SLG out.

That feels like a lot of movement, but I'm really happy with everything I got this year. I do have some regrets on an out, but it was a bag I wanted to upgrade anyway, and I'm only annoyed because it's a style/color I need, and I'd just hoped to find its replacement sooner.

I hear you! I'm pretty good about cleaning things out that I don't use anymore, but we moved from a small house to a big one, and with so much closet space, it's really easy to get carried away and keep ALLTHETHINGS. This is not the best approach to keeping a workable wardrobe, and my issue now is inadvertently buying things that potentially steal wears from others. I've been tracking wears on everything in my closet, which really helps.

FWIW, I think your shopping process is one a lot of people share. I really appreciate your openness on it.

Haha, I'm giggling aloud at this--that is exactly what I'm doing! I did in fact just buy another bag, and I went back and forth on whether to return it. I got a great deal on it, and I can use it, so I eventually decided to keep it, but I'm going to send another one to justify that. It's a Danse Lente bucket bag, and while it has a few points against it, I've been drawn to edgier styles lately, and this was an easy way to test the waters on how well I can integrate that with my wardrobe:

View attachment 4623596

With that, I can comfortably conclude my year-end stats. I had 12 bags and one SLG in, plus eight bags and one SLG out in 2019. In that count are two bags that came in and went right back out, so it's a net of 10 bags/one SLG in and six bags/one SLG out.

That feels like a lot of movement, but I'm really happy with everything I got this year. I do have some regrets on an out, but it was a bag I wanted to upgrade anyway, and I'm only annoyed because it's a style/color I need, and I'd just hoped to find its replacement sooner.
Years ago we moved from a huge house to a smaller one. Our closets were full as soon as we moved in. The kids have moved out, and I have expanded into their rooms. One is a craft/sewing room, one is used for storage, and the other is my purse room. Next month they are all coming to visit at the same time, and I have to clean out all these rooms and find space, at least temporarily, for all the stuff I put in their rooms, as well as the garage which is half full of boxes for my sales.

Some of the stuff that I have stored is stuff I kept from their childhoods. I didn't want to throw their things away without giving them a chance to see if they wanted it.

I hope you all had a lovely holiday and I wish you a very Happy New Year!
I had a great Christmas with all 3 of my sons and their families, but it’s back to work today.

Mr Cookie did purchase a purse for me. But it’s going back.
He bought an LV Twist in the Coquelicot (red) Epi leather. He felt so awful about it that he didn’t even take it out of the car. After everyone had left last night and we were cleaning up, he told me about it. He said that he got a really bad/sick feeling in the store - he didn’t like the people around him, felt like the purses were cheap, the SA’s weren’t happy, he couldn’t remember what I had said I’d like (a wallet) and he just wanted out of there. He brought it in, and showed it to me… and while it’s cute, it’s going back ASAP. I can’t keep a purse that he physically felt ill over - yikes!
At the moment I’m feeling so purse content that I don’t think I’ll bother looking while we’re there. If I find something while we’re traveling this winter, I might get it but i’m not feeling the :nuts: Wild and Crazy Need :nuts: for anything.

I'm going ahead and posting my Year End stats - I'll be crazy busy the next several days with end of the year stuff!

November/December challenge of wearing all my bags - I’ve worn all but 3 of the bags that aren’t summer only. I could still wear Miss Alligator, the yellow CoLab and the MZ Wallace Mini Sutton in punch in the remaining few days, but I probably won’t.
So that was 17 bags that did get worn!

December stats -
Purses in - 1, Purses out - 2. A Massaccesi Tulipano Tote came in, I sold the LV Musette Tango and the Mulberry Blossom Tote.
Scarves in - 2, Scarves out - 0

2019 Stats
I had 17 bags come in (zomg), and 13 went out, for a net of 4 bags in.
I had a lot of movement - of the 13 bags that went out, 10 of them came in either this year or last. I spent this year really figuring out what works for me in a bag, and then finding them. Of the bags that came in this year, 6 of them are absolutely keepers - Hermes BB Kelly, Proenza Schouler PS Courier Small, Coach Saddle, Dior Be Dior, Feragammo Studio Bag, and the MZ Wallace Mini Sutton.

I’m still trying to sell the Danse Lente Margot bag, and I bought a very cute straw Coach bag (it has a turquoise lining!) this year but haven’t worn it… so it might go on the chopping block as well in the summer if it goes unworn in 2020.

We don’t *need* to discuss my shameful scarf purchases :shocked: :angel: :shocked: , but I do have a goal to purchase less in 2020.
I looked at the stats for them - far and away my favorite format is the mousseline, followed by the gavroches. My top 5 most worn scarves were moussies - Plumes (both), Della Cavalleria, Tourbillons, Mosaique au 24, and Quadrige.

For fun I looked at other stats as well.
Color:
Black = 85 times. I *really* like black purses.
Brown = 45 times. I include the LV Pallas Monogram in with brown.
Blue = 37 times. I love that Picotin!
Red = 16 times.

Most worn:
1) LV Lock Me Bucket - 35 times
2) Hermes Vespa - 29 times
3) Just Campagne Confort 1 - 27 times
4) Gucci Small Padlock - 24 times
5) Hermes Picotin - 22 times

And I read 25 books this year!

Last edited:
I had a great Christmas with all 3 of my sons and their families, but it’s back to work today.

He bought an LV Twist in the Coquelicot (red) Epi leather. He felt so awful about it that he didn’t even take it out of the car. After everyone had left last night and we were cleaning up, he told me about it. He said that he got a really bad/sick feeling in the store - he didn’t like the people around him, felt like the purses were cheap, the SA’s weren’t happy, he couldn’t remember what I had said I’d like (a wallet) and he just wanted out of there. He brought it in, and showed it to me… and while it’s cute, it’s going back ASAP. I can’t keep a purse that he physically felt ill over - yikes!
At the moment I’m feeling so purse content that I don’t think I’ll bother looking while we’re there. If I find something while we’re traveling this winter, I might get it but i’m not feeling the :nuts: Wild and Crazy Need :nuts: for anything.

I'm going ahead and posting my Year End stats - I'll be crazy busy the next several days with end of the year stuff!

November/December challenge of wearing all my bags - I’ve worn all but 3 of the bags that aren’t summer only. I could still wear Miss Alligator, the yellow CoLab and the MZ Wallace Mini Sutton in punch in the remaining few days, but I probably won’t.

December stats -
Purses in - 1, Purses out - 2. A Massaccesi Tulipano Tote came in, I sold the LV Musette Tango and the Mulberry Blossom Tote.

2019 Stats
I had a lot of movement - of the 13 bags that went out, 10 of them came in either this year or last. I spent this year really figuring out what works for me in a bag, and then finding them. Of the bags that came in this year, 6 of them are absolutely keepers - Hermes BB Kelly, Proenza Schouler PS Courier Small, Coach Saddle, Dior Be Dior, Feragammo Studio Bag, and the MZ Wallace Mini Sutton.

I’m still trying to sell the Danse Lente Margot bag, and I bought a very cute straw Coach bag (it has a turquoise lining!) this year but haven’t worn it… so it might go on the chopping block as well in the summer if it goes unworn in 2020.

We don’t *need* to discuss my shameful scarf purchases :shocked: :angel: :shocked: , but I do have a goal to purchase less in 2020.
I looked at the stats for them - far and away my favorite format is the mousseline, followed by the gavroches. My top 5 most worn scarves were moussies - Plumes (both), Della Cavalleria, Tourbillons, Mosaique au 24, and Quadrige.

Color:
Red = 16 times.

Most worn:

Congrats on the tracking! I really need to do a better job of this in 2020.
Your DH is so sweet. No way I could keep something my DH felt sick over either.

View attachment 4623596

Congratulations on your stats. Looks like a net of four adds in a year of evolving your style, well done. Happy new year!

December stats -

2019 Stats

Color:
Red = 16 times.

Most worn:

Awww, thoughtful Mr. Cookie. The bag is definitely not a keeper and Mr. Cookie is a keeper. Outstanding stats, congratulations on all fronts Cookie. Your analysis is amazing. Congratulations on reworking your collection to items that are loved and carried often, great self awareness. I love the 25 books read, too!
Happy new year!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah or Happy Holidays to all. Hope you all have a wonderful day. I have used 22 bags since the beginning of November. I have used almost all my fall /winter bags. I am not including anything I will receive this week in the challenge for me unless weather or function permits.
Congratulations on your bag rotation!

Last edited:
Reactions: jbags07
Merry Christmas, everyone!
Ok I discovered another issue I have. I will see a bag irl and then decide I need it. Like today my cousins wife was using her burgundy calfskin celine box bag and now that's all I can think of. gosh darn it. But I've never spent more than $1000 on a bag, so I likely won't succumb, but this is just one of many examples :shocked:

Ps. you ladies are inspiring. I know we can collectively do better in 2020 :smile:
This bag is on my mind and it’s all I can think of now, too! :giggle::blush:

December stats -

2019 Stats

Color:
Red = 16 times.

Most worn:

I just love seeing everyone's ins/outs and reckonings.
What will help you slow down buying scarves? You have so many, and a great variety., and you use them so beautifully and naturally. Are there still designs/colors/formats you are looking for specifically that will help you focus? Or do you succumb to photo envy, low prices, shopping from boredom, or other not so good excuses?

I have done really well with the "wear all my bags by the end of the year challenge." The few I haven't worn will be used this week. But I broke my arm today and may have to make some adjustments. The scarves will see plenty of use as slings!
I'm happy with my bag collection and feel like I have all my bases covered. This week I picked up a canvas Garden Party for a song. (I can see more of these in my life, perhaps.) Anything new I buy will be a result of lusting after a color, or treating myself to some probably undeserved reward, LOL.

I have done really well with the "wear all my bags by the end of the year challenge." The few I haven't worn will be used this week. But I broke my arm today and may have to make some adjustments. The scarves will see plenty of use as slings!
I'm happy with my bag collection and feel like I have all my bases covered. This week I picked up a canvas Garden Party for a song. (I can see more of these in my life, perhaps.) Anything new I buy will be a result of lusting after a color, or treating myself to some probably undeserved reward, LOL.
Oh, I'm so sorry about your broken arm! I broke mine in August and am still doing physical therapy.

Oh no! I am sorry to hear you broke your arm. I hope you can get some rest and heal completely and comfortably.
Well done on the bag rotation and congratulations on your great deal on a GP.
Wishing you good health.

Oh, I'm so sorry about your broken arm! I broke mine in August and am still doing physical therapy.
Sorry to hear you broke your arm, too, whateve. I hope the physical therapy helps you regain full strength and range of motion. Happy new year!

Ouch! Speedy recovery! Broken limbs are the worst.

I'm physically stopping myself from looking at any sales this week. It hurts. Hahaha. I'm going to instead put my new velvet hangers to work and clear out more stuff. Especially cause I received a lot as presents. I wish more of my bags would sell so that I can stop feeling guilty. It's been so slow.

Great stats, ladies! I won't post mine cause I am ashamed. ;)

@momasaurus - I’m so sorry about your arm. I hope you recovery quickly and easily!
Wow, i can’t believe the quality issues you previously experienced with YSL .....thats scaring me off from making a purchase...i agree with you, premier should deliver in terms of quality and service....

Have u decided yet? Seems to me you are on the fence now....after these issues, if it was my call, i would wait....there will be new bags out for next fall/winter.....
I (think I’ve) decided to reorder. I’ve been busy and haven’t done it yet but, I’ve been looking for a camera bag for a long while and I think one will work for me. The only others one I’ve liked are Chanel at 2x+ the price. I don’t value a camera bag like that.

The quality is good (I think) for the price point. Leather lining. Good stitching. We’ll see how it holds up.

December stats -

2019 Stats

Color:
Red = 16 times.

Most worn:

Fun bearing about your stats! Overall, you’ve had a great year!

You and I are in similar boats on DH gifted bags that didn’t work out. I just couldn’t reconcile myself with the champagne color of the Dior bag that Mr. Sparkle bought me. I really, really tried. But, I want gold. And I feel like the champagne is superfluous to me having silver and gold. So, he was ok with me gifting it to DD. She nearly lost her mind with delirious joy so everyone is happy all around. :amuse:

And, that means I have no guilt in continuing the search for my small gold bag. Lol!

A lot of movement, yes, but if you are happy then we are happy for you!
Years ago we moved from a huge house to a smaller one. Our closets were full as soon as we moved in. The kids have moved out, and I have expanded into their rooms. One is a craft/sewing room, one is used for storage, and the other is my purse room. Next month they are all coming to visit at the same time, and I have to clean out all these rooms and find space, at least temporarily, for all the stuff I put in their rooms, as well as the garage which is half full of boxes for my sales.

Some of the stuff that I have stored is stuff I kept from their childhoods. I didn't want to throw their things away without giving them a chance to see if they wanted it.
I may be moving to a much smaller place in 2020 too. I'm already dreading the day that I need to clean up my present house!

December stats -

2019 Stats

Color:
Red = 16 times.

Most worn:

Net of 4 bags in is not bad!! I hope your DH has recovered from that shopping experience of his. But he is very thoughtful nonetheless!!
Sending you healing thoughts for your arm!
@momasaurus - I’m so sorry about your arm. I hope you recovery quickly and easily!
I (think I’ve) decided to reorder. I’ve been busy and haven’t done it yet but, I’ve been looking for a camera bag for a long while and I think one will work for me. The only others one I’ve liked are Chanel at 2x+ the price. I don’t value a camera bag like that.

The quality is good (I think) for the price point. Leather lining. Good stitching. We’ll see how it holds up.
Fun bearing about your stats! Overall, you’ve had a great year!

You and I are in similar boats on DH gifted bags that didn’t work out. I just couldn’t reconcile myself with the champagne color of the Dior bag that Mr. Sparkle bought me. I really, really tried. But, I want gold. And I feel like the champagne is superfluous to me having silver and gold. So, he was ok with me gifting it to DD. She nearly lost her mind with delirious joy so everyone is happy all around. :amuse:

And, that means I have no guilt in continuing the search for my small gold bag. Lol!
I hope the next piece will be perfect when you reorder! Wow, lucky DD!