2019 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

I hear you! I'm pretty good about cleaning things out that I don't use anymore, but we moved from a small house to a big one, and with so much closet space, it's really easy to get carried away and keep ALLTHETHINGS. This is not the best approach to keeping a workable wardrobe, and my issue now is inadvertently buying things that potentially steal wears from others. I've been tracking wears on everything in my closet, which really helps.

Years ago we moved from a huge house to a smaller one. Our closets were full as soon as we moved in. The kids have moved out, and I have expanded into their rooms. One is a craft/sewing room, one is used for storage, and the other is my purse room. Next month they are all coming to visit at the same time, and I have to clean out all these rooms and find space, at least temporarily, for all the stuff I put in their rooms, as well as the garage which is half full of boxes for my sales.

Some of the stuff that I have stored is stuff I kept from their childhoods. I didn't want to throw their things away without giving them a chance to see if they wanted it.

Yes I was the same when we moved to a bigger house, we've loads of cupboards (and a walk in attic ) but beware they soon fill up :giggle: The more you have, the more "stuff" you keep! When my son moved out, I expanded even more, all our many cupboards, drawers, wardrobes and attic are full :wtf: I've been busy trying to clear them for the past two years so we can downsize now, :lol: what we have is way too big for the two of us, time consuming to keep clean, look after and costly to run. It's funny how quickly you seem to go from wanting more space to less and you just don't see it coming, even the garden's is way too big now.

We've not entertained for years, my preference is to go out now so what would suit us well is a studio apartment with a small outside patio area and a beach opposite :hbeat: I'm working on it!

I love my bags but I've been trying to reduce them to a workable collection. I'm down to 20 now (from a lot more) which for some is not many and others a lot..........it's personal to each of us. I don't use 20 now I'm not employed and there are some I've never used.which definitely need to go but it's hard!

I've not counted my scarves :blush: but planning to! I've sold a few last year but not many.

Purses and wallets I've almost got under control. I sold off several large ones last year as I travel much lighter as I walk most places now. I purchased three small coin/card wallets and they're ideal as fit into my smaller cross body bags.

I'm planning to work out my stats for last year. It's good to have a place to declare them.......then hopefully I can look back on my progress :biggrin:

As I've got older "less stuff and more journeys" is what I'm all about and where I'm going

Attachments

• 7FDEDF41-60B3-4C9B-AB8F-40FE9C7ACA98.jpeg
    7FDEDF41-60B3-4C9B-AB8F-40FE9C7ACA98.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I lost a scarf this year :crybaby: (a gavroche) and just found another… so i *had* to get it.

I did that with a scarf ring (flat, g/s double-sided, Italian CdA) stolen from my hotel room 2014. Could I live without it? No. If something's really useful/personal to you then it's totally understandable. I'm so pleased you found another, now forget the first, you may even find it again.

Last edited:
Yes I was the same when we moved to a bigger house, we've loads of cupboards (and a walk in attic ) but beware they soon fill up :giggle: The more you have, the more "stuff" you keep! When my son moved out, I expanded even more, all our many cupboards, drawers, wardrobes and attic are full :wtf: I've been busy trying to clear them for the past two years so we can downsize now, :lol: what we have is way too big for the two of us, time consuming to keep clean, look after and costly to run. It's funny how quickly you seem to go from wanting more space to less and you just don't see it coming, even the garden's is way too big now.

We've not entertained for years, my preference is to go out now so what would suit us well is a studio apartment with a small outside patio area and a beach opposite :hbeat: I'm working on it!

I love my bags but I've been trying to reduce them to a workable collection. I'm down to 20 now (from a lot more) which for some is not many and others a lot..........it's personal to each of us. I don't use 20 now I'm not employed and there are some I've never used.which definitely need to go but it's hard!

I've not counted my scarves :blush: but planning to! I've sold a few last year but not many.

Purses and wallets I've almost got under control. I sold off several large ones last year as I travel much lighter as I walk most places now. I purchased three small coin/card wallets and they're ideal as fit into my smaller cross body bags.

I'm planning to work out my stats for last year. It's good to have a place to declare them.......then hopefully I can look back on my progress :biggrin:

As I've got older "less stuff and more journeys" is what I'm all about and where I'm going
Awesome post. So much resonates with me. Expanding to fill the kids' rooms that they moved of - did that! Wanting to downsize to a place with a patio and a beach opposite - WANT!! Less stuff, more adventure - Definitely! I read a fun book called Vagabonding. My big takeaway was to Stop Expansion. Don't buy stuff, even stuff relating to new adventures. How often I have bought books and clothing and containers and equipment for a new and supposedly streamlined life, LOL. In the end it's just more stuff (I did buy the Vagabonding book, but used and cheap, LOLOL).

My 2019 stats:
1 bag in, 1 bag out
2 SLGs in, 0 out
24 scarves in, 16 out (not ideal and I hope to improve this in 2020)

For 2020:
CLARITY (20-20, get it?) and TRUST (broken bones will heal on their own time)

Definitely in with the small condo, patio, beach opposite!
Found one, but getting may require the following stat: DH — 0 in; 1 out.

Awesome post. So much resonates with me. Expanding to fill the kids' rooms that they moved of - did that! Wanting to downsize to a place with a patio and a beach opposite - WANT!! Less stuff, more adventure - Definitely! I read a fun book called Vagabonding. My big takeaway was to Stop Expansion. Don't buy stuff, even stuff relating to new adventures. How often I have bought books and clothing and containers and equipment for a new and supposedly streamlined life, LOL. In the end it's just more stuff (I did buy the Vagabonding book, but used and cheap, LOLOL).

My 2019 stats:
1 bag in, 1 bag out
2 SLGs in, 0 out
24 scarves in, 16 out (not ideal and I hope to improve this in 2020)

For 2020:
CLARITY (20-20, get it?) and TRUST (broken bones will heal on their own time)
This reminded me of a Thoreau quotation I first read in college. It still resonates: "I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes."

April's stats - a little early but I have time today
I did the Color Challenge and the Less Is More challenges.
I wore my rose/cream Camelia Roma once, I had intended to wear the Vespa too but haven't gotten there yet.
For the Less Is More - I wore Gerard Darel seven times (out of town for business), Coach Quincy four times ( downtown for business - I have no idea how much this was but since I've had it for close to 30 years, the CPW is super low), and the Camelia Roma once.
* Purses in - 4, Purses out - might be donating one.
Purses in were a super cute Coach straw and leather Bonnie, Danse Lente Margot in coral (this is like a Picotin but much more structured), @Sparkletastic's Proenza Schouler PS Courier Small (love!), and a Retta Wolfe 'ligator bag in blue.
This one might get donated… it's very pretty and I do like it but it's started to flake and crack. And I don't like that. I can't return it either so I'm kinda stuck.
* Scarves in - 4, Scarves out - 1 - Yay!
The 4 scarves in are all different formats - a plisse (L'Art du Temari) in bright pink, a pointu (H2O), my first Maxi T (Astrologie Nouvelle) and an HG - I found another La Rosee changeant! :panic:
It should be here tomorrow, but I'll have to pick it up at the post office Tuesday because I won't be home tomorrow morning.
I know this thread isn't about scarves, so I thank you for indulging me!

I also know I haven't been shopping my closet very well this month.
My goal for May is to NOT BUY ANY PURSES!! View attachment 4416795
(or scarves unless they are HGs)
One month at a time, one week at a time, one day at a time.

Hi Cookiefiend!

I'm new to this forum so hope it's okay to resurface this post. I came across Camelia Roma recently but can't find many reviews. Can you share some info on the quality of the brand?

Been debating them or a bag from Ateliers Auguste and not sure if it's worth the risk shipping either to Canada. Thanks!