Bradley Cooper

I see the movie is now on HBO and I haven't seen it yet, and now I don't think I want to. I loved the version with Striesand and Kristofferson....they had real chemistry! I was hoping this one would be good too......but now I don't think it will be. I'll probably watch it at some point though......
no offense to those here who didn't like it. but it was very popular I think. so if convenient, I'd suggest you see for yourself

I'm going to be the minority here and say I liked it. Not one of my all time faves but I think she did a good job acting and he did surprisingly well singing. I don't recall being bored or wishing it would end. And I was sad at his demise.
It was sorta odd how they showed her cheesy pop performance and then just let it go (as if it was OK?)

Did the guy commit suicide in the first 2 movies too?

I'm going to be the minority here and say I liked it. Not one of my all time faves but I think she did a good job acting and he did surprisingly well singing. I don't recall being bored or wishing it would end. And I was sad at his demise.
It was sorta odd how they showed her cheesy pop performance and then just let it go (as if it was OK?)
Yes! That bothered me too. I liked the movie as well. The music, acting...all of it!

I wonder if the early version is available on a streaming service? That program sounds very interesting. Did they say which version they liked best?
I am trying to remember but I got the impression that the Judy Garland James Mason one was favored. I will see if I can find it. It could also be that I enjoyed that part of the show best too. Who knows? lol

I am not sure if this is the one I saw or not but it is one that compares them.

I am trying to remember but I got the impression that the Judy Garland James Mason one was favored. I will see if I can find it. It could also be that I enjoyed that part of the show best too. Who knows? lol

I am not sure if this is the one I saw or not but it is one that compares them.

Thanks so much. I saw the Judy Garland version ages ago, but never knew there was one before that.

Reactions: carlpsmom
I wonder if the early version is available on a streaming service? That program sounds very interesting. Did they say which version they liked best?

I see that carlpsmom linked it here but it’s readily available and TCM shows it occasionally.

The main difference from the remakes I remember is that there is no musical element in the original movie. Frederic March played an alcoholic movie star whose career is declining and Janet Gaynor played a newly discovered actress.

Reactions: carlpsmom
I see that carlpsmom linked it here but it’s readily available and TCM shows it occasionally.

The main difference from the remakes I remember is that there is no musical element in the original movie. Frederic March played an alcoholic movie star whose career is declining and Janet Gaynor played a newly discovered actress.
Many thanks!

Reactions: bag-mania