Scarves Love it then leave it ,how do you curate your scarf collection?

Interesting posts today from @lanit , @EmileH, @bunnycat, @froufrou, @momasaurus, and @jizzybeetle

A few thoughts... I have been tracking clothing usage via Stylebook app for 2 years now. As a former computer geek, it makes it easy for me to gather some statistics and insight into my scarf and clothing usage.
Attached is a pic of my most used scarves during 2018.
I definitely still wear 90s ( in fact I have one on right now). Do I need any more? No! Will I ever buy another one? Probably... like several of you I have slowed down on acquiring 90s. Slightly more than half of my scarves are in fact 90s. I wore a 90 about 30% of the days that I wore a scarf. But, since I have so many, there are definitely ones that did not get worn, or rarely worn. I have yet to buy any scarves from SS2019, and if I am honest, there are no “ must have” ones from the current season.
Last year I mostly added mousseline stoles( my second most reached for format, after the 90), and a couple of oddball formats, and cashmere/silk.

When I look at which scarves I wore most last year, all are easy to wear with Navy. And I have been wearing navy a lot more than black in the last year. 5 scarves are 90. 5 scarves are mousseline stoles( the 2 in the middle of row 3 are not by H), both of my men’s scarves were worn a lot. In fact, I only had Awooo for 4 months, and yet it was my top scarf.

View attachment 4384455
I do have a tendency to wear more recently acquired scarves more often.

The other thing I have been doing recently, is using Stylebook to help me find scarves that aren’t worn recently, and then I make an effort to wear them. I often rediscover that, hey I love this scarf!
All to say I am good at collecting, but loathe to part with any of my treasures... LOL!
Nice analytic work @scarf1 ! You are a true lover of the blues! Wish I was disciplined enough to track like this. Maybe I'll try it with an old fashioned spreadsheet, it would be nice to get some data-based insights. I'm in a breather mode now too, after a few seasons of furious collection. Curiously, I find I'm wearing my 90's more and my CSGMs less. I adore the beauty and coziness of CSGMs but if I'm honest with myself, I'm not sure the volume really feels like "me". I'm a "medium in all things" person and the 90's seem to be a more effortless fit. My small formats (bandana and gavroche) have gotten hardly any wear - surprising as I thought "just a little bit of silk showing" would be a natural for me. I think those formats may be just too petite to go with my frame, which is not especially large but has some broadness that seems to suit the larger formats better. That's my theory for today anyway (ha. that may explain why I have no desire to put a twilly around my neck). You all are reminding me I really need to take action on those scarves that are no longer sparking joy .... my collection is near as large as is practical for me to house & wear. And I still want to collect! I'm branching out in color and style and want to keep exploring, but maybe at a slower pace (we'll see how I hold to that when the next season comes out!).

Hi there
Such an insightful topic, thank you all for sharing !
I hope it’s ok to ask : Where do you prefer to sell the scarfs you fell out of love with?
I doubt it’s permitted to share a « for sale » list here on TPF so how do you find scarf lovers as buyers?

Omg. Bunnycat you gave up twillies?! You are queen of wearing twillies.

Scarf1 you are queen of stats!

I suppose tastes change over time. Best to just accept change. I am afraid that the best scarf days might be behind us. I’m keeping what I have.

I was also surprised to read @bunnycat's post about twillies! Bunny: you do them so well, but you do all the formats well. Your style is breezy but artistic and your outfits always look cool without feeling forced.

Aww thank y'all EmileH and moma! :hugs:

I haven't given them up truly and I have kept the ones that (for me at least) make the cut for either 1) looking like a coherent design when tied on the neck or 2) look fab with a purse...but I have sworn off buying new (but was sorely tempted by Tree of Song...). I just couldn't justify $160 (and now $170) on something I *know* is going to get a snag no matter how careful I am....and I am not careless with any of my scarves!

Serious food for thought ladies; I'm with you all in a reconsidering mode. I've done fairly large edit over the past several months and many of my silks have found happier homes. Like you @momasaurus I've also made additions to improve cws, and that has worked to rekindle some of my enthusiasm. In large measure for recent seasons though, I've found relatively few designs/cws that are absolute 'must haves'. As for formats, the 90's actually are still useful; as is the case for @bunnycat, scarf rings are rarely part of the equation, I just throw them on and go, and they liven up my general uniform of a simply styled, muted palette of mostly slim bottoms and tunic-length sweaters/shirts. The alternative of CSGMs and mousselines work pretty much the same way; throw it on and go. I think the difference for me is similar to @lanit's observation -- my design choices tend to be less visually intense, and more about the feeling of color. So, when the cws don't work, and I've gotten pretty disciplined about that, I pass. A corollary to the color discipline though is whether the proposed new scarf is better than one I already have, and I've passed on quite a few because I like what I've got.

Yeah- this scares me that I view the GM moussies and CSGM as interchangeable....lol...thats an expensive habit to acquire....and I keep getting tempted to acquire "just one or two" (for winter wear....you know....) :lol: I can only take heart in the fact I am fairly saturated with things I like already and can reasonable wear in the course of a year, that taking on a CSGM will have to fill some sort of void...

Hi there
Such an insightful topic, thank you all for sharing !
I hope it’s ok to ask : Where do you prefer to sell the scarfs you fell out of love with?
I doubt it’s permitted to share a « for sale » list here on TPF so how do you find scarf lovers as buyers?

I use the Bay of Evil, but would love it if we could form a group here (or elsewhere) to re-home scarves.

Gosh momasaurus, from your lips to somebody’s willing ears! Don’t we all have silks we’d like to send to someone who would really love them better than we ourselves do! How about an old fashioned swap meet? [emoji23]

Sounds good to me!!:ghi5:

We do have this guys- we just have to make a habit of using it. :yes:

https://forum.purseblog.com/forums/auctions/

I used to post some links there, but haven't in a long time.

I want to add comment about something that made me feel so badly for some time. One day, I decided I couldn’t stand the way ‘90 PdS 07 looked on me. I sold it for a song ... not for the $, but to get it gone (ocd). A day later I read TPFer said sorry to have missed out on that one. I would have gladly rather sent there instead.
Exactly.

Bunny, i agree with your post. I have been noticing that the silks I reach for recently typically are the modern bolder designs. And running out of storage space really got me to thinking that I need to consider rehoming many of my silks. I also favor an edgier look to my silks these days, but with moussies the chiffons do take on such a floating ethereal look that I counterpoint with leather and denim at times. I have also wanted to wear some jewelry pieces at times so scarves tend to overwhelm or look fussy with necklaces so I opt for gm shawls instead. I have not bought any new collection silks yet, though the new Pivoines silk was gifted to me from DH and sadly it disappointed me with the way it tied and so much blank white space that I knew all the white would be impossible to keep clean. Also since my hair color has lightened considerably, my daily choices have been changing a lot too. I feel like my 90 silks are becoming less useful and more of a novelty. It saddens me to let go of some of these beautiful designs though. Thought about framing a few but my home already has plenty of art and not enough wall space. Plus 90 silks are so large that the hanging system is probably the most useful and easiest to change out rather than permanently framing a silk, and less expensive to boot.

I suppose I am feeling less excited about 90 size and they are no longer sparking joy for me. Anyone else feeling the same these days? I will share what I plan on keeping or letting go though if I can take photos and find the best ways to rehome them. Be back soon.:heart::angel:

I'm sad to hear that but we should allow ourselves to go through different stages.

Sadly for my purse I still love all my 90s. I like other formats too but I know how versatile the carres are for me. I do like the modernist geo prints but I still value the others too, it depends on my mood.

I'm sad to hear that but we should allow ourselves to go through different stages.

Sadly for my purse I still love all my 90s. I like other formats too but I know how versatile the carres are for me. I do like the modernist geo prints but I still value the others too, it depends on my mood.
Soeaking of moods dear PT and even though I resisted yet another B/w MP, I simply could not resist this tattoo version of the deeply mysterious indigo version. Edgy with a twist on classic, moody and all out easy in vintage 27 format.
E80B14A0-EFF3-4870-A777-EB0C1A5327BA.jpeg

Soeaking of moods dear PT and even though I resisted yet another B/w MP, I simply could not resist this tattoo version of the deeply mysterious indigo version. Edgy with a twist on classic, moody and all out easy in vintage 27 format.
View attachment 4389272
Oh Lanit, this is breathtaking! Thank you for sharing. It has been most difficult to decide which colourway to get:flowers:

I still love them, too and reach for them the most. The silk is pliable, light, yet substantial, they are not too warm, versatile and so comfortable. Plus, to me they are simply iconic and artistic.

As I've said, it may be possible to do a silk-swap thread without breaking our RULES? Like an exchange of gifts but you'd have to check with @Vlad
It probably also depends on what the forum is licenced to do. A silk-swap thread does sound like a great idea in theory.

View attachment 4389272
So swoon-worthy! I've yet to see a single piece of this :shocked:

Reactions: BBC and papertiger