Scarves Scarf Of The Day 2019 - Which Hermès scarf are you wearing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gorgeous Croisette! I love the Bar des Oiseaux!

Stunning AnnaE! Love those earrings....(and some small part of me kind of wishes I had asked for the purple CW of GP, but I thought....no..not EVERY scarf I get from that season should be the purple CW....and well....hrmmm....still gonna love my pink one...but this purple one always blows me over when I see it too....)

I am sure you are enjoying your pink one though! I don't normally gravitate towards purple, but this CW was so striking that I had to have it.

As an avid sewer for 50 years (I started when I was still in utero :smile:) I can say that I have I have stored silks and rayon shantungs, etc. for years, taking them out of storage when I got settled in a full time job. In my experience, if fabrics are clean when they're stored, if they have no odor to begin with, they look and feel store-fresh when they are taken out. The trick with wool especially, and probably also with other fibers is to store them when they're clean. That's not a problem with fabrics intended for sewing. With clothing that has already been worn, it's a question of finding those snarky little spots which are "invisible" food stains which attract bugs.

I mentioned rayon shantung. That was a fabric from the 60s. Fiber use is cyclical. Rayon was popular, then it wasn't, now it is as "tencel." It's popular now because it's a cellulosic (wood based) fiber which is sustainable. Rayon can wrinkle easily but that pales compared with the contemporary emphasis on sustainability. My point is that silk, like H silk, is always around and always a premium fabric. The other fibers -- cotton, wool, rayon, polyester, linen, acrylic, etc. are more subject to fashion trends IMO.

Thank you for sharing. I am reasonably confident Hermes silk is very resilient and I hope our silks will serve us all for many decades.

I am extremely diligent when it comes to washing any scarves that may have any organic stains on them, and I inspect them all on a regular basis to ensure no pests. But even if the fabric is fine other things can occur -- all sorts of calamities such as flooding or fire (knocking on wood here).

My housekeeper machine washed a scarf once as it got tangled with a blouse and I never realized it had ended up in the hamper. I know someone whose cats managed to open the scarf drawer to make herself a nest -- then promptly threw up on them. The damage was too much to wear those scarves every again. My point really is that one never knows what can happen in the future, so one should wear scarves now :smile:

My dear fellow scarfies,
I am overwhelmed by your compassion and nice words. I had to run loads of errands with my purple eye, scrolled through the tpf app on my phone when waiting and on the public transport, my own eye staring back at my from all your quotes. I just came back home to find over 60 notifications on the purseforum!
Your nice words really made my day a brighter one, thank you so much.
I am fine, really: The eye does not hurt at all as long as I do not touch it, only some slight pain from other contusions, everything will be fine. The worst was the feeling I have to defend my hubby all the time: I am just clumsy, it has nothing to do with domestic violence!
Coming from the medical field and a friend of color and shape I am fascinated by the changes of shape and color of the hematoma: beautiful dark blue, purple, dark red, beginning of some orange/yellow tones. I do not want to bother you with another scary pic of my eye, instead I made something to thank you all: I took the two scarves from my vault that represent the current color the best (Kosmos and Kosmima, I really like these tones!) and made a "thank you" heart shape for all of you, there are just to many to respond to each one personally!View attachment 4317503

Glad to hear you are on the mend and in good spirits! Lovely scarves :smile:

When I had my black eye, my HR (!) took me aside and asked me if I had a safe place to live, so I totally hear you on defending your husband.

beach scarf, love your reasoning! (I have a hiking scarf)

This is such a great discussion. I know the feeling of not wanting to wear a precious scarf, I even got backups for some (2 vert amande phoenix, both full price, the other very preloved with faults that I got for very cheap). But on the other side: If it is not soaring hot outside I wear a H scarf whenever I leave the house. I might be overdressen when shopping for groceries, but I do not care. Sometimes nobody will see them underneath a warm jacket, but I love how it feel around my neck. For my funeral wrap me in that faded Mare aux Canards that I wear all the time for cycling but sell it's good (almost unworn) twin for charity!
But when it comes to food: sling them to the back, hide under blouse, take off entirely. Sweat can be washed easily, red pesto not so much.
On the other side: wearing an H scarf daily kind of makes it harder to dress up: I do not look this much more polished when going out, dramatic drapes of 140cm-scarves are what I try to do.
I can relate the worries about the Mont Saint Michel plissee: It is very old, thus I would worry more about color runs. The plissee might get ruined (from washing as well as from knotting, my cosmos has lost some of it's folds), it is such a precious one and near impossible to get a backup. I might save this one for special occasions like going to the opera.

I don't often get food stains on my scarves per se, but I often take them off before particularly 'dangerous' meals. I have learned that lipstick and coffee stains (my scarves' major nemeses) come out easily though. I hand wash my scarves, but I get dry cleaning through work, and I always joke that if my company goes bankrupt, it's because of a very specific expense category of laundering coffee-stained McQueen dresses, as I seem to need one or two of those done every week! I am just not very good about keeping things pristine, and I am ok with that.

I will say that a plisse would make me more cautious as I would be worried about the pleats. I only have a couple plisses, and that is always a concern. I have never learned how to wear them well, so that's why I wear mine less; if I found one I truly loved, I would probably throw caution to the wind and just wear it.

I don't have a hiking scarf, but I have an old Brides de Gala that I use as a head scarf when it rains!

Agree, wearing my old scarves with great joy! A Norwegian folk song has this theme - a young girl saving her best woollen hat with silk ribbons forever and ever, and when she finally decides to wear it, the moths have eaten the hat and only the silk ribbons are left of it - there’s a lesson in there:smile:

Thanks for sharing -- I am glad the Norwegians back me up on my life philosophy :smile:

Finally some pics from the archive to cover the theme of the week. At first I thought I can only provide Alice Shirley but I also have a Zambese:
View attachment 4317546 View attachment 4317549
These are all your scarves or twillies? Gosh, they are just fabulous, esp. in the zoo or aquarium setting. Love the headband-twilly. And the giraffe scarf? Is that the Hermes giraffe scarf?

Reactions: HoneyLocks
I adore the acorn earrings. For some reason, I love acorns and gingko leaves. Thank you for sharing the designer's name.

I have been meaning to reply to your comment. That artist actually make lovely ginkgo earrings -- I ordered mine custom, but ended up gifting to my sister-in-law, so can't show a photo. I thought it might be of interest!

Reactions: eliwon and Maedi
Thank you so much, bunnycat!

Many thanks, Elaine! Twins on that beautiful UTW!

I've never seen this lovely CW, Julide.

All fabulous moussies, as always, scarf!

Stunning, Anna!
Thank you Croisette!:flowers:Your lovely cokourway is stunning! I wish I could have seen that one in person...

And thank you for the warning about the reseller!

Reactions: Croisette7
A wonderful balance of white and colours on your plisse, @FugitiveRouge! Please, do wear it more often. It's beautiful on you!

Since you asked us, I manage "the tension" by being very careful when I have a favourite scarf or shawl on (even new ones)! :angel: Refined movements only... Again, I'm serious, but I'm certain this will come across as funny advice. :lol:

I am sitting very still right now, with my PdS CSGM on my lap as I travel. I love looking down at it. :amuse:View attachment 4317008
I could stare at that all day too!:girlsigh:
Beautiful cw, so serene
Thank you Papertiger!:flowers:
And please get the answer quickly!!!! (:biggrin:)
:lol:Yes!!:lol:

Reactions: litchi
I am sure you are enjoying your pink one though! I don't normally gravitate towards purple, but this CW was so striking that I had to have it.

Thank you for sharing. I am reasonably confident Hermes silk is very resilient and I hope our silks will serve us all for many decades.

I am extremely diligent when it comes to washing any scarves that may have any organic stains on them, and I inspect them all on a regular basis to ensure no pests. But even if the fabric is fine other things can occur -- all sorts of calamities such as flooding or fire (knocking on wood here).

My housekeeper machine washed a scarf once as it got tangled with a blouse and I never realized it had ended up in the hamper. I know someone whose cats managed to open the scarf drawer to make herself a nest -- then promptly threw up on them. The damage was too much to wear those scarves every again. My point really is that one never knows what can happen in the future, so one should wear scarves now :smile:

Glad to hear you are on the mend and in good spirits! Lovely scarves :smile:

When I had my black eye, my HR (!) took me aside and asked me if I had a safe place to live, so I totally hear you on defending your husband.

I don't often get food stains on my scarves per se, but I often take them off before particularly 'dangerous' meals. I have learned that lipstick and coffee stains (my scarves' major nemeses) come out easily though. I hand wash my scarves, but I get dry cleaning through work, and I always joke that if my company goes bankrupt, it's because of a very specific expense category of laundering coffee-stained McQueen dresses, as I seem to need one or two of those done every week! I am just not very good about keeping things pristine, and I am ok with that.

I will say that a plisse would make me more cautious as I would be worried about the pleats. I only have a couple plisses, and that is always a concern. I have never learned how to wear them well, so that's why I wear mine less; if I found one I truly loved, I would probably throw caution to the wind and just wear it.

I don't have a hiking scarf, but I have an old Brides de Gala that I use as a head scarf when it rains!

Thanks for sharing -- I am glad the Norwegians back me up on my life philosophy :smile:
It's so great to read that other people have hiking scarves, rainy day scarves, and that we wear things rather than hide them away. The moth stories! And the cat puke! Oh dear.

These are all your scarves or twillies? Gosh, they are just fabulous, esp. in the zoo or aquarium setting. Love the headband-twilly. And the giraffe scarf? Is that the Hermes giraffe scarf?
The last one os Marche aux Zambese by Ardmore Artists. I was so hyped when I got it because back then I was the first to post a photo of a new season scarf but it does not get worn much.
Strange thing, on mobile the photo shows up in the original post but not the quotes...
And yes, I own too many [emoji15] [emoji16]

beautiful JQ twin! (I still can't believe I didn't get a Tyger Tyger....must have been when I was raising crazy kittens that took up all my time....)
Thank you so much! And I’ve always regretted not getting a colorful CW of Tyger Tyger... At the time I had recently started to “seriously” purchase Hermès scarves and to build a collection and felt it was time for a black and white scarf so TT was it!

Same with my DM. She liked buying things for some indefinite special occasion in the future: "I can wear this when . . ." It's quite likely that's how she justified getting sale merchandise.

But the thing is, if a special occasion occurs, it's really fun to go out and get something special and in fashion just for that event.

A jeweler once told me that women tend to buy something and then stash it away in a safe deposit box so that it never gets worn. I once saw a white-haired woman wearing a huge gaudy [probably opaque] emerald ring and I thought she looked great. Technically, the ring made her look overdressed by who cares? She was lovin' it.
Overdressed? You should see how I go to the supermarket.

I just love your Apaloosa
Thank you so much! This is my fav CW but won’t let a more neutral one pass by if it comes my way...

Overdressed? You should see how I go to the supermarket.

I for one really want to see what you wear to the supermarket :smile:

I have a red caped McQueen dress coming my way from a sale, and I fully intend to wear that to a supermarket... I just need to get hold of some of those fabulous brooches that Fifi has!!!

At the airport with Ex Libris Globetrotter, one of those odd size scarves in thin silk.
Those of you who are dying to score an exceptionelle, the H at Taipei airport terminal 2 has a gorgeous glittering Jeu de Soie CSGM as well as the beaded Jaguar Quetzal 140. The SA was very friendly and showed me the JdS which has both beading and applique work. I sighed a lot, marvelled a lot but resisted (DH cleverly only gave me 15 mins at the dutyfree - he must be clairvoyant :P ).
PicsArt_01-22-01.37.40.png

Status
Not open for further replies.