Scarves Scarf Of The Day 2019 - Which Hermès scarf are you wearing today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions: Living.la.vida.fifi
Used a simple slide scarf ring to wear my plisse today. This my Mont St MichelView attachment 4315924
I love this scarf so much. Generally, I believe that scarves are meant to be worn, not kept in a box, but I'm terrified of wearing this out. It would be almost impossible to replace if it were damaged. How do the collectors here manage the tension between wearing your beautiful old grails and honoring their history?
I either tuck the draped ends of the scarf inside my jacket. If wearing scarf around my neck I push the knotted section to the back of my neck -- this the feminine equivalent of a man flipping his tie over his shoulder when he eats. If all else fails, I tie a napkin around my neck or tuck the scarf into my neckline to cover it while I'm eating. I'm a little self-conscious about tying it around my neck but no one ever notices or cares. With something prone to be drippy like spaghetti, I try to put my scarf in my purse. Spaghetti and oily sauces are more powerful than I am. :smile: I also eat mindfully when wearing a scarf I am concerned about staining.
Specialty cleaners are pretty good these days. IMO, it's a shame not to wear a beautiful and unusual scarf like that which looks so good on you more often.

Wearing my Grand Prix today. Since we have been talking jewelry and scarf rings, I feel obliged to report that It is worn with most basic Buccellati earrings ever. I tried to wear a matching ring as a scarf ring, but it didn’t work as well as this basic sterling Hermès ring, so I am just wearing it on my finger. Unlike others, I buy small sizes of regular rings to repurpose as scarf rings, but recent conversations made me want to try larger sizes as well.
c69b31e2abac7ad00fe486659b644b25.jpg
a
Very pretty tied, Anna!

Thank you so much! And the TT is so special to me... my first black/white scarf

Thank you so much! And I will take a look at that...

Thank you so much!

Such beauties! JQ is amazing in every single CW!

Gorgeous Croisette! I love the Bar des Oiseaux!

Stunning AnnaE! Love those earrings....(and some small part of me kind of wishes I had asked for the purple CW of GP, but I thought....no..not EVERY scarf I get from that season should be the purple CW....and well....hrmmm....still gonna love my pink one...but this purple one always blows me over when I see it too....)
Thank you both so kindly, fifi & bunny!

Reactions: Living.la.vida.fifi
Great style !
Personnally i need to (ab)use the things i own.. don’t get me wrong, i take care of my things but i don’t understand the treasures kept hidden. My mom never wears the « nice » stuff and it drives me nuts to see things in cupboards, never touched !
If it ever gets damaged, well then it would be part of the scarf History :smile:
I am all for using the nice things ! Bring them to life i say [emoji173]️
Same with my DM. She liked buying things for some indefinite special occasion in the future: "I can wear this when . . ." It's quite likely that's how she justified getting sale merchandise.

But the thing is, if a special occasion occurs, it's really fun to go out and get something special and in fashion just for that event.

A jeweler once told me that women tend to buy something and then stash it away in a safe deposit box so that it never gets worn. I once saw a white-haired woman wearing a huge gaudy [probably opaque] emerald ring and I thought she looked great. Technically, the ring made her look overdressed by who cares? She was lovin' it.

Lovely, lovely, lovely, Croisette! And delighted to be your twin with the lavender blue CSGM SD.
Wearing my Grand Prix today. Since we have been talking jewelry and scarf rings, I feel obliged to report that It is worn with most basic Buccellati earrings ever. I tried to wear a matching ring as a scarf ring, but it didn’t work as well as this basic sterling Hermès ring, so I am just wearing it on my finger. Unlike others, I buy small sizes of regular rings to repurpose as scarf rings, but recent conversations made me want to try larger sizes as well.
c69b31e2abac7ad00fe486659b644b25.jpg
a
Twins with this AnnaE. You've tied it beautifully.

Same with my DM. She liked buying things for some indefinite special occasion in the future: "I can wear this when . . ." It's quite likely that's how she justified getting sale merchandise.

But the thing is, if a special occasion occurs, it's really fun to go out and get something special and in fashion just for that event.

A jeweler once told me that women tend to buy something and then stash it away in a safe deposit box so that it never gets worn. I once saw a white-haired woman wearing a huge gaudy [probably opaque] emerald ring and I thought she looked great. Technically, the ring made her look overdressed by who cares? She was lovin' it.

This is such an interesting discussion to me. I have never been one to stash things away for a special occasion. I want to enjoy what makes me happy, even if that means wear and tear. If I had a giant emerald ring, I would wear that all the time!

I am the same way with scarves -- I have some old ones, and I don't particularly obsess over them. If they get damaged, well, they get damaged. Ultimately, the scarves are not getting any younger, and who knows what will happen to those 60-year old scarves in another decade or two, even if they are stored perfectly and never touched.

A slightly morbid, but entertaining story -- when I was a little girl visiting my grandmother in the Ukraine, she would show me a beautiful handmade lace shawl and say, 'oh, I am saving that for my funeral' (the idea being that one wants to buried in one's best clothes, which I think is a cultural thing). I always thought that so morbid that I have become very aggressive about using all my belongings. The grandmother is thankfully still around, but the shawl has fallen victim to a moth attack, so there really is a lesson there :smile:

This is such an interesting discussion to me. I have never been one to stash things away for a special occasion. I want to enjoy what makes me happy, even if that means wear and tear. If I had a giant emerald ring, I would wear that all the time!

I am the same way with scarves -- I have some old ones, and I don't particularly obsess over them. If they get damaged, well, they get damaged. Ultimately, the scarves are not getting any younger, and who knows what will happen to those 60-year old scarves in another decade or two, even if they are stored perfectly and never touched.

A slightly morbid, but entertaining story -- when I was a little girl visiting my grandmother in the Ukraine, she would show me a beautiful handmade lace shawl and say, 'oh, I am saving that for my funeral' (the idea being that one wants to buried in one's best clothes, which I think is a cultural thing). I always thought that so morbid that I have become very aggressive about using all my belongings. The grandmother is thankfully still around, but the shawl has fallen victim to a moth attack, so there really is a lesson there :smile:
As an avid sewer for 50 years (I started when I was still in utero :smile:) I can say that I have I have stored silks and rayon shantungs, etc. for years, taking them out of storage when I got settled in a full time job. In my experience, if fabrics are clean when they're stored, if they have no odor to begin with, they look and feel store-fresh when they are taken out. The trick with wool especially, and probably also with other fibers is to store them when they're clean. That's not a problem with fabrics intended for sewing. With clothing that has already been worn, it's a question of finding those snarky little spots which are "invisible" food stains which attract bugs.

I mentioned rayon shantung. That was a fabric from the 60s. Fiber use is cyclical. Rayon was popular, then it wasn't, now it is as "tencel." It's popular now because it's a cellulosic (wood based) fiber which is sustainable. Rayon can wrinkle easily but that pales compared with the contemporary emphasis on sustainability. My point is that silk, like H silk, is always around and always a premium fabric. The other fibers -- cotton, wool, rayon, polyester, linen, acrylic, etc. are more subject to fashion trends IMO.

My dear fellow scarfies,
I am overwhelmed by your compassion and nice words. I had to run loads of errands with my purple eye, scrolled through the tpf app on my phone when waiting and on the public transport, my own eye staring back at my from all your quotes. I just came back home to find over 60 notifications on the purseforum!
Your nice words really made my day a brighter one, thank you so much.
I am fine, really: The eye does not hurt at all as long as I do not touch it, only some slight pain from other contusions, everything will be fine. The worst was the feeling I have to defend my hubby all the time: I am just clumsy, it has nothing to do with domestic violence!
Coming from the medical field and a friend of color and shape I am fascinated by the changes of shape and color of the hematoma: beautiful dark blue, purple, dark red, beginning of some orange/yellow tones. I do not want to bother you with another scary pic of my eye, instead I made something to thank you all: I took the two scarves from my vault that represent the current color the best (Kosmos and Kosmima, I really like these tones!) and made a "thank you" heart shape for all of you, there are just to many to respond to each one personally!cosmimakosmos.jpg

The Horsawards by Elias Kafouros.
View attachment 4317006

I never considered this design, but like the quirky design. It looks so good on you, the way you tied it, how it matches your coloration and especially your eyes.

Thank you spinkapallina!It certainly is litchi! It's very comical indeed.

And OT but just arrived in the post, Tribord. I think this is the 1968 issue. I haven't seen this very often on here ( I know Croisette has a striking blue and yellow one ). It will be a great beach scarf in the summer.

View attachment 4317027View attachment 4317038

beach scarf, love your reasoning! (I have a hiking scarf)

So agree with your perspective litchi! Samourais has been a real winner for me in both the 90 and 140 versions. My recent choices from 2018:

View attachment 4317180 View attachment 4317177
Mythiques Phoenix CSGM and Pareo from last season and earlier release.
View attachment 4317178
View attachment 4317184

love the "real live perspective". Lots of eye candy in this post (coming from another phoenix lover)

I either tuck the draped ends of the scarf inside my jacket. If wearing scarf around my neck I push the knotted section to the back of my neck -- this the feminine equivalent of a man flipping his tie over his shoulder when he eats. If all else fails, I tie a napkin around my neck or tuck the scarf into my neckline to cover it while I'm eating. I'm a little self-conscious about tying it around my neck but no one ever notices or cares. With something prone to be drippy like spaghetti, I try to put my scarf in my purse. Spaghetti and oily sauces are more powerful than I am. :smile: I also eat mindfully when wearing a scarf I am concerned about staining.
Specialty cleaners are pretty good these days. IMO, it's a shame not to wear a beautiful and unusual scarf like that which looks so good on you more often.

This is such a great discussion. I know the feeling of not wanting to wear a precious scarf, I even got backups for some (2 vert amande phoenix, both full price, the other very preloved with faults that I got for very cheap). But on the other side: If it is not soaring hot outside I wear a H scarf whenever I leave the house. I might be overdressen when shopping for groceries, but I do not care. Sometimes nobody will see them underneath a warm jacket, but I love how it feel around my neck. For my funeral wrap me in that faded Mare aux Canards that I wear all the time for cycling but sell it's good (almost unworn) twin for charity!
But when it comes to food: sling them to the back, hide under blouse, take off entirely. Sweat can be washed easily, red pesto not so much.
On the other side: wearing an H scarf daily kind of makes it harder to dress up: I do not look this much more polished when going out, dramatic drapes of 140cm-scarves are what I try to do.
I can relate the worries about the Mont Saint Michel plissee: It is very old, thus I would worry more about color runs. The plissee might get ruined (from washing as well as from knotting, my cosmos has lost some of it's folds), it is such a precious one and near impossible to get a backup. I might save this one for special occasions like going to the opera.

My dear fellow scarfies,
I am overwhelmed by your compassion and nice words. I had to run loads of errands with my purple eye, scrolled through the tpf app on my phone when waiting and on the public transport, my own eye staring back at my from all your quotes. I just came back home to find over 60 notifications on the purseforum!
Your nice words really made my day a brighter one, thank you so much.
I am fine, really: The eye does not hurt at all as long as I do not touch it, only some slight pain from other contusions, everything will be fine. The worst was the feeling I have to defend my hubby all the time: I am just clumsy, it has nothing to do with domestic violence!
Coming from the medical field and a friend of color and shape I am fascinated by the changes of shape and color of the hematoma: beautiful dark blue, purple, dark red, beginning of some orange/yellow tones. I do not want to bother you with another scary pic of my eye, instead I made something to thank you all: I took the two scarves from my vault that represent the current color the best (Kosmos and Kosmima, I really like these tones!) and made a "thank you" heart shape for all of you, there are just to many to respond to each one personally!View attachment 4317503

I'm so glad your eye is progressing to the next color phase! We are twins on your lovely Cosmos though mine is not plisse.

Agree, wearing my old scarves with great joy! A Norwegian folk song has this theme - a young girl saving her best woollen hat with silk ribbons forever and ever, and when she finally decides to wear it, the moths have eaten the hat and only the silk ribbons are left of it - there’s a lesson in there:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.