Horrific experience with Celine - this is blowing my mind.

I‘m so sorry for you, please keep us updated! This is horror!
I‘m lucky that I can buy my bags in a store with 2 lovely SA‘s, the make a great job and the service is excellent! I once had to send one Celine to the pampering and that was a great experience, too. So what happened to you is not Celine in general! But online orders are anonymous and they never see their customers. Online we are just numbers. I ordered a lot online from Louis Vuitton and had once the same problem. Because I had a bad expirience with the online team before I send the in my eyes scratched bag they send me without any words back to them and I had luck, it passed quality control and they charged me back. But that also means they would have send it to the next customer I believe. Since then I order a lot less online.
If the person, who packed the item scratched it and thinks it‘s easier to send it as to handle her/his boss, maybe because he/she is afraid to lost the job, the company will always think the customer did this to the bag...

I really hope that you get your money back, I wish you luck!

So sorry to hear this happened to you, hope cc company is able to resolve. It must feel awful to be wrongfully accused like that.

This kind of behavior from luxury retailers mystifies me. The markup on all of this stuff is so outrageous that it doesn’t make financial sense for the company to quibble about issuing a refund and eating the production cost of the bag (even if it had been your fault) when they will definitely lose you as a customer forever if they don’t. Maybe you would have dropped $50k in the future.

I'm sharing this story here in hopes of getting some advice and/or at least some comfort. I am learning an incredibly painful lesson here, and maybe offering these details will save someone else the trouble.

In the Fall of 2018, I'd decided to purchase a Celine Classic Box bag. Although I have a modest collection of luxury handbags, this would be my first Celine bag. My early luxury purchases were all made in person, at boutiques, and allowed me to develop relationships with local SAs at both Chanel and LV. It would have been my preference to purchase this bag in store as well, but the SA at the local Celine boutique said they had no Classic Box bags and couldn't procure one for me. Since Celine.com began to sell handbags online, I added my email to the waitlist there so I could be notified if/when one of the colors I was interested in would be in stock.

Fast forward a few weeks - it is now November 2018 - and I receive an email that two colors of the Medium size Classic are now available online: 1) the Camel in box leather and 2) the Tan in natural calfskin. Having no experience with Celine leathers, and because the colors look somewhat similar online, I wasn't sure which I preferred. I'd exchanged some emails with their customer service, who were kind enough to provide some additional information on each leather. On the natural leather, the customer service representative wrote: "Natural Calfskin will be smoother to its touch. The natural leather handbags are made a handful at a time due to the uniqueness of the leather and its exquisite, refined nature. It has a very genuine vegetal look and some aspects of the skin remain visible. This leather is very sensitive to scratches and it is not recommended for intensive use."

I'd decided to order the natural leather bag in Tan and take a look in person. When I order high-end items that require a signature, I typically ship them to my workplace, so that the mailroom can sign for it and I don't have to worry. On the afternoon of December 3rd, the bag arrived at my office and I went to retrieve it from the mailroom. The box was in good shape, and everything seemed beautifully packaged, but when I took the bag out of the dustbag, I noticed a number of marks on the top flap. I truly didn't know what to make of them: were these scratches? or was this what the CS rep was referring to when she said "some aspects of the skin remain visible"? My first instinct was to take a couple of photos so I could ask someone, and so I took out my phone and snapped away. As you can see (photos below), the bag isn't even fully unwrapped yet. These photos are time- and location-stamped, which clearly shows that they were taken immediately upon delivery.

That evening, at home, as I looked at the condition of the bag again, I decided that I wasn't able to accept these marks, whatever they were, and would be returning the bag. I didn't even bother unwrapping the whole thing. Instead, I read through the return instructions, affixed the return label to the outside of the box, and at my first opportunity walked over to UPS to drop it off.

Several days passed, then a week, then two. It occurred to me that I wasn't seeing a refund, and nervously went online to track my return to see if it had been delivered. It had, and was signed for on the 11th of December. I made a note to wait a few more days and reach out to their customer service if I had no update, but before I could, I received an email:

"With regards to your order XXXXXXXXX, we regret to inform you we are unable to process your refund. We regret to inform your Medium Classic bag in natural calfskin did not pass our quality inspection because the bag handle is warped."

I was shocked and dumbfounded. What are they talking about? I barely handled that bag, and didn't even bother unwrapping it fully. Also, the Celine Classic Box bag has no handle! It has an adjustable strap, which remained coiled inside a small dustbag placed inside the bag the whole time it was in my possession - how could it have been warped?? I immediately called them to clarify - this must be some kind of a mistake - but the rep I spoke to had no additional details and unceremoniously informed me that I needed to provide them a return address so they could ship the bag back to me. I insisted that a mistake must have been made, as I didn't handle the strap. She promised to inquire further and indicated that someone would call me back the next day. However, the next day came and went and I heard nothing, so I called again.

Imagine, if you can, how difficult it might be to contain your frustration and anxiety over being refused a nearly $5,000 refund. Add to this the fact that you are not being provided any photos or even sufficient explanation of what damage is being observed, and that every person you manage to get on the phone, while polite, remains utterly unable to offer any helpful information. I was physically shaking every time I was on the phone with them, that's how upset I was, and I am shaking now as I write this. I explained that I had photos, I explained that I was confused by the description of the damage since the bag has no handle. I kept hearing promises that they would inquire further with the compliance department (or whatever it's called) but days and weeks would pass and I still had no resolution. I was finally asked to provide a written description of my account of events and to forward my photos, which I did. I hoped a resolution would finally follow.

Today, January 4th, I received a call. I was informed that a mistake was made, and that my bag didn't fail inspection due to a warped handle, as initially stated in their email - that was someone else's bag, not mine. Instead, my bag failed inspection because of the scratches on the flap. The manager in charge of the case reviewed my photos but evidently decided that this wasn't adequate and I am still responsible for this damage. They claim to have evidence that the scratches weren't there prior to shipment. Isn't it possible, I asked, that the string of the dust bag, which was packed tightly against the flap inside the box, could have rubbed against it during transit and caused some of these marks? Yes, I was told, it's possible. Given that I have photos which I've taken immediately upon its arrival, isn't it more likely that the damage occurred in shipment? Yes, the customer service rep said, that's likely, but she said she was unable to convince her manager that this isn't my fault, and they insist on holding me responsible.

I feel confident in saying that I have never been treated more poorly as a customer than I have been by Celine. I was asked to spend hours of my time calling customer service, documenting my case and forwarding photos, but received absolutely no evidence or justification in return, just a curt attribution of blame. As of this writing, I've decided to handle this issue through my bank, and file a claim against them to seek my refund. I am appalled that a luxury brand could take this approach and deeply saddened that my love affair with Celine will end before it's begun, but I find this completely unacceptable. As I look at these photos again, I'm fairly certain that the way it was packaged, with the dust bag closed and the tied string placed over the bag, then tightly pressed against it by the lid of the small, white Celine box, caused these marks. They're not deep scratches, and they're right over the area where the string would have been.

If Celine isn't able to extend some measure of a benefit of the doubt to its customers and treat us with respect, it should stop selling their products online and go back to stocking the boutiques, where this whole nightmare could have been entirely avoided. Assuming that this damage did occur during shipment, I am completely at a loss as to what I could have done differently to insure myself against this outcome. What evidence would they have accepted? Should I have filmed the entire unboxing?

Has anyone had a similar experience with any luxury retailers? What's your take on this?

Go to court. If you do not feel like hiring atturney, use small claims. The $ limit of damages in CA is 7000.

I agree with @LailaT that this is part of the leather. It will patina over time and is part of its charm.

Thst said, not everyone likes it and if it's not for you, you should be able to return it. Celine employees should be familiar with the leather and with your photos understand it is part of the bag. I hope you're able to get your money back and am sorry that you're having to go through this.

So sorry this happened to you. I think it was nice of you to try to resolve this with them, I would probably just dispute the transaction with my credit card company and tell them what happened. They may be in a better position to talk to the seller since they are in the business and they know the drill. Especially this looks like you’re treated unfairly because they wouldn’t show you any evidence and just concluded that your bag wasn’t eligible to be returned. Hope you get this resolved as soon as possible [emoji257]

Reactions: faab89 and Kuicetsm
I agree with @LailaT that this is part of the leather. It will patina over time and is part of its charm.

Thst said, not everyone likes it and if it's not for you, you should be able to return it. Celine employees should be familiar with the leather and with your photos understand it is part of the bag. I hope you're able to get your money back and am sorry that you're having to go through this.

You both make an excellent point about this being the nature of the leather. As I mentioned in my original post, when I first opened the package and saw the marks, my first thought wasn't immediately "oh, this is damaged." I did, in fact, wonder if this might be the nature of the leather and some number of marks are to be expected. That said, I wasn't CONFIDENT that this was the case. I truly wasn't sure. This uncertainty is precisely what caused me to take those photos.

However, if this were normal and expected to some degree, why on earth would Celine deny a refund on its basis? And if it isn't, well then... they aren't being completely honest about the history of this bag.

Once again, I appreciate everyone's input, and will absolutely keep you posted.

Reactions: faab89 and whateve
However, if this were normal and expected to some degree, why on earth would Celine deny a refund on its basis? And if it isn't, well then... they aren't being completely honest about the history of this bag.
For the same reason, they tried to deny your refund for damage to the handles of the bag; their CS is lacking.

Also, please note in case my post came off as unsupportive, just because this is one of the attributes of the leather doesn't mean I'm not completely supportive of your decision to return it and sympathetic to your frustration with their CS. I only stated it to reinforce that the employees should have known and accepted the return. I'm sorry if that adds to the frustration.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! This makes me scared of making big purchases online. I have seen these "scratches" before in person on a black box bag on display at my local Nordstrom just a week ago. I was comparing the box bag to the new Triomphe bag (since they are similar in design) and noticed those scratches all over the box bag. I pointed it out to the SA and she apologized for the appearance of the bag and note the scratches/marks came from customers handling the bag over time, given the bag has been on display for a while.I don't own any bags in a smooth leather finish (I prefer pebbled to hide future marks - I'm clumsy), but I would expect my own bag to look like that over time.

Of course, I would not be happy if my new, expensive bag came like that. If there were to be scratches or marks, it better be made by me only. I wish you good luck with your situation!

Reactions: faab89
For the same reason, they tried to deny your refund for damage to the handles of the bag; their CS is lacking.

Also, please note in case my post came off as unsupportive, just because this is one of the attributes of the leather doesn't mean I'm not completely supportive of your decision to return it and sympathetic to your frustration with their CS. I only stated it to reinforce that the employees should have known and accepted the return. I'm sorry if that adds to the frustration.

Absolutely no worries about the tone of your response - it didn't come across as unsupportive. I 100% understand the point about different types of leather having different properties, and recognize that many of our preferences are personal and subjective. I actually wouldn't rule out natural leather for a different kind of handbag, one that I wore a bit more casually, but as the Celine Classic Box was going to be a bit more of an occasional/dressy bag for me, I felt this aesthetic wasn't going to work.

And as Tiff mentioned above, it's one thing to own a handbag that develops scratches/patina with use over time, but quite another if/when the bag arrives with marks already, right?

What ended up happening with the refund?

The last time Celine made any effort to communicate with me was during a phone call when they conceded that they had made a mistake regarding the nature of the damage to the handbag I returned, and confirmed that the issue was, in fact, with the marks on the flap, which I photographed upon opening the package. They insisted that my photos weren't sufficient proof, and despite everything, were holding me responsible.

During that phone call, they once again asked for my address, so they could ship the bag back to me. I refused to provide it and insisted that, should they attempt to ship it to me, I'll refuse delivery. I made clear that I intended to dispute the charge with my bank, which I then did.

My bank (Bank of America) immediately gave me a provisional credit, indicating that Celine had 60 days to dispute the chargeback and that I would be contacted in the event that they pursue that option.

Weeks passed, then one day, out of the blue, I was notified by the front desk at my office building that they were holding a package for me. As soon as I looked at it, I recognize that it was from Celine and that they had, against my advice, shipped the damaged bag back to me. Without opening it, I walked it back to UPS (the carrier) and indicated that I was refusing delivery, and they took it back.

That's the last I ever saw of the bag, and the last time I ever heard back from Celine. They never disputed my chargeback, but they also never made a single attempt to make this right. I wound up getting my money back because I paid with a credit card and worked with the bank.

This was, by far, the worst experience I've ever had with any brand. It will be my last with Celine.