Horrific experience with Celine - this is blowing my mind.

That is absolutely shocking behaviour from a brand that is meant to be high-end! How dare they treat a customer like that, particularly when they're selling at that price point! We don't only pay for the bags, we pay for the service and this is appalling!
I'm so glad you got your money back in the end but I'm sorry you had to go through that ordeal. I cannot imagine how stressed I would have been in your position.

Reactions: Simonelovesbags
I had an almost identical set of circumstances with Hermes over an online order of the Oran sandal that were shipped to me with wear already on the soles. I never thought to refuse delivery of them when they shipped them back to me after refusing my return. In my case, Hermes refuted my dispute with my bank (Chase) over the charges, and Chase sided with Hermes and I was out the money.

It's crazy to me that luxury retailers can get away with these practices. It has certainly forever changed my opinion of Hermes and now Celine. I'm happy for you that it worked out in the end though.

That unfortunately is the scary aspect about ordering online, yet for some of us there really isn't a choice. To spend that kind of money in full (Celine bags are incredibly expensive) and for their refusal of a return is just nightmarish.

I don't understand how they can't treat these luxury goods with utmost care on their end to ensure people receive it in perfect condition. It is an industry of luxury and their standards should be set as such. Good on OP for standing her ground and refusing to take the bag back.

Reactions: faab89
The last time Celine made any effort to communicate with me was during a phone call when they conceded that they had made a mistake regarding the nature of the damage to the handbag I returned, and confirmed that the issue was, in fact, with the marks on the flap, which I photographed upon opening the package. They insisted that my photos weren't sufficient proof, and despite everything, were holding me responsible.

During that phone call, they once again asked for my address, so they could ship the bag back to me. I refused to provide it and insisted that, should they attempt to ship it to me, I'll refuse delivery. I made clear that I intended to dispute the charge with my bank, which I then did.

My bank (Bank of America) immediately gave me a provisional credit, indicating that Celine had 60 days to dispute the chargeback and that I would be contacted in the event that they pursue that option.

Weeks passed, then one day, out of the blue, I was notified by the front desk at my office building that they were holding a package for me. As soon as I looked at it, I recognize that it was from Celine and that they had, against my advice, shipped the damaged bag back to me. Without opening it, I walked it back to UPS (the carrier) and indicated that I was refusing delivery, and they took it back.

That's the last I ever saw of the bag, and the last time I ever heard back from Celine. They never disputed my chargeback, but they also never made a single attempt to make this right. I wound up getting my money back because I paid with a credit card and worked with the bank.

This was, by far, the worst experience I've ever had with any brand. It will be my last with Celine.
If you made the purchase by credit card (Visa, AMEX, MasterCard) notify the company and have them get a chargeback started. They will act as a mediator between you and Celine and if your bank feels you are justified, will literally refund your money and go after Celine for reimbursement. Trust me I did it with success with a vendor. Good luck.

Absolutely appalling! I’m glad it all worked out in the end, but the weeks of frustration and disappointment you can never get back. I’m gald I read this as I may I’m the future video tape my unboxing of luxury goods shipped to my home.
I nearly bought a Celine Cabas Phantom online last month too. I opted to go to the store (far out of my way) at the last minute.

It’s very risky to buy luxury bags online, even more so with delicate leathers like Celine’s natural calfskin.

I was trying the exact same bag (but in natural calf) in the store the other day and my SA kindly located a brand new one in the backroom for me as the display one had a few marks (as expected). Although the leather on the new bag was pristine, the bottom seam at the front of the bag was weirdly raised (and no amount of smoothing could push it hack down). I ended up choosing the display model as I felt I could deal with normal wear and tear (would happen anyway as I’m not good at babying my gags) but I couldn’t deal with a faulty seam.

You really do need to examine these bags in person (no matter what brand) and choose what’s acceptable to you as one can no longer really rely on the QC from the brands themselves.

Reactions: tannim44 and doni
The last time Celine made any effort to communicate with me was during a phone call when they conceded that they had made a mistake regarding the nature of the damage to the handbag I returned, and confirmed that the issue was, in fact, with the marks on the flap, which I photographed upon opening the package. They insisted that my photos weren't sufficient proof, and despite everything, were holding me responsible.

During that phone call, they once again asked for my address, so they could ship the bag back to me. I refused to provide it and insisted that, should they attempt to ship it to me, I'll refuse delivery. I made clear that I intended to dispute the charge with my bank, which I then did.

My bank (Bank of America) immediately gave me a provisional credit, indicating that Celine had 60 days to dispute the chargeback and that I would be contacted in the event that they pursue that option.

Weeks passed, then one day, out of the blue, I was notified by the front desk at my office building that they were holding a package for me. As soon as I looked at it, I recognize that it was from Celine and that they had, against my advice, shipped the damaged bag back to me. Without opening it, I walked it back to UPS (the carrier) and indicated that I was refusing delivery, and they took it back.

That's the last I ever saw of the bag, and the last time I ever heard back from Celine. They never disputed my chargeback, but they also never made a single attempt to make this right. I wound up getting my money back because I paid with a credit card and worked with the bank.

This was, by far, the worst experience I've ever had with any brand. It will be my last with Celine.
Good for you. I always use my credit card for large purchases just in case

I’m sorry you went through that. I purchased the nano belt bag recently directly from the boutique not in person but over the phone. I went through a lot of trouble just trying to get a receipt. Eventually I got one but the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Don’t know if I’d ever buy another Celine.

Celine and Chanel need a lesson in CS from Dior!

Reactions: Yuki85
Any chance to claim chargeback with your credit card company (item not as described) - you've mentioned the bank so was it a transfer?
Had a similar ish situation a few years ago- bought at Farfetch Jimmy Choo bag and whilst it arrived ok, a day later it was scratched all over (I used it really gently). I escalated to Farfetch and despite the initial refusal to refund, I eventually got it claiming all sort of EU/UK regulations around consumer goods.
I think nikka07 is onto something here... go to your bank to fight for a refund...