**Hermes Chat**

Ok restaurants REALLY need to listen to those with food allergies. My DH bought subs from Jimmy Johns yesterday clearly telling them that I’m allergic to onions so no onions on my sub. Well, the onions were mixed in with the lettuce so I had no clue there were any on my sub. I ate half of it then hours later started major cramping and bathroom runs every few minutes. The vomiting started and took until around 4 A.M. to hold a sip of water down. Been a miserable day recovering...still can’t eat or drink much. I know it’s an unusual allergy, but when told about it the restaurant needs to pay attention. Don’t know if I’ll ever be able to eat JJ again.

Ok restaurants REALLY need to listen to those with food allergies. My DH bought subs from Jimmy Johns yesterday clearly telling them that I’m allergic to onions so no onions on my sub. Well, the onions were mixed in with the lettuce so I had no clue there were any on my sub. I ate half of it then hours later started major cramping and bathroom runs every few minutes. The vomiting started and took until around 4 A.M. to hold a sip of water down. Been a miserable day recovering...still can’t eat or drink much. I know it’s an unusual allergy, but when told about it the restaurant needs to pay attention. Don’t know if I’ll ever be able to eat JJ again.

I’m so sorry to hear that CJ.

A friend has the same allergy and can’t eat anything in the allium family. Garlic etc. Of course, almost everything has onions or garlic in it

I’m so sorry to hear that CJ.

A friend has the same allergy and can’t eat anything in the allium family. Garlic etc. Of course, almost everything has onions or garlic in it
Thanks pursecrzy. You’re right about everything full of onions and garlic. Even ketchup has onion powder! I knew once I continued with the cramps that it had to be onions. When I unwrapped the other half I saw the onions. They were mixed in with the lettuce so not obvious at all. Not strong smelling or tasting either. There are so many life threatening allergies that it should be taken seriously when preparing food. Just my crazy rant as ruined my plans for a few days.

Thanks pursecrzy. You’re right about everything full of onions and garlic. Even ketchup has onion powder! I knew once I continued with the cramps that it had to be onions. When I unwrapped the other half I saw the onions. They were mixed in with the lettuce so not obvious at all. Not strong smelling or tasting either. There are so many life threatening allergies that it should be taken seriously when preparing food. Just my crazy rant as ruined my plans for a few days.

Did you contact the restaurant? I’d talk to the manager and let them know what happened.

There was recently a sad story about a 15-year-old girl who died after getting a sandwich at a Heathrow airport restaurant that apparently, inexplicably, had enough nut contamination from some other source to trigger a fatal reaction in her during her flight. It's really only being noticed because her father is someone important (in sport, I think?) What a hideous tragedy.
Restaurants ABSOLUTELY need to take this seriously. At best it's miserable and at worst it's life and death.
chanel, I hope you are better and so sorry you went through that. It might be worth a conversation with the manager to impress upon him and his staff how much this matters.

ETA: pursey beat me to it! Great minds, pursey!

Chanel, that’s very scary, and I’m so glad that you are okay. I have a friend who’s sensitive to onions as well as tomatoes and gluten. Needless to say, she doesn’t eat out much! I don’t think that many restaurant or food prep workers understand what it means to have a food allergy or comprehend how deadly the reactions can be. The managers understand because of liability, of course, but they’re not the ones packing food or using the same serving spoon to cross contaminate different pots.

I have an allergy to pine nuts but never carried an Epipen because my reactions were mild and I could usually avoid pesto when eating out. Unfortunately, I had a reaction after eating something that was most likely cross contaminated with a pesto dish on the menu, so now I bite the bullet and pay the small fortune to buy an Epipen.

Chanel, I ‘m glad you are OK. I think you should write JJ corporate management and give them all the pertinent details, store location, date/time and order details. Make it clear you are not *looking for* anything other than for them to pay attention to customer food allergies.

Personally, I’m not a JJ fan or any chain sub shops. I like to give my biz to Mom and Pop places.

Wow, Chanel. So sorry you suffered like that. I never knew someone allergic to onions. And I think OJB is right that people don't take allergies seriously enough, although nut allergy has gotten so much press that it seems that it is at least taken somewhat serious (enough that it seems as if there are warning signs around in bakeries and the like).

I know that there are some fellow Brunello Cucinelli fans here. Architectural Digest just ran an interesting article on him. https://www.architecturaldigest.com...pJobID=1482033220&spReportId=MTQ4MjAzMzIyMAS2

Reactions: BBC