Are Other Languages As Tricky As English?

I just read an article about difficulties in language learning. The focus of the article is in English speaking people learning other languages, the same might not apply to others. Also the focus is on my native tongue, Finnish, which is quite difficult to learn.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/finnish_among_most_difficult_languages_for_english_speakers/6690499

According to the article, Arabic, Chinese (both Cantonese and Mandarin), Japanese and Korean are the most difficult languages for native English speakers. It will take approximately 88 weeks to learn them.

Easiest languages, with just 22 weeks to learn, were French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Afrikaans and a few other similar languages.

The data comes from here: http://www.effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty

(This is just one view, some other studies may show different results. This is mentioned in the web page.)

Here's a funny example of my language, Finnish, I'm sure there are countless other examples :lol:

The spruce is on fire = Kuusi palaa

The spruce returns = Kuusi palaa

The number six is on fire = Kuusi palaa

The number six returns = Kuusi palaa

Six of them are on fire = Kuusi palaa

Six of them return = Kuusi palaa

Your moon is on fire = Kuusi palaa

Your moon returns = Kuus

Six pieces = Kuusi palaa

Just for fun made the same sentences in Estonian, expected more similarity as they are very close languages :smile:
Kuusk põleb.
Kuusk tuleb (tagasi).
Kuus põleb.
Kuus põlevad.
Kuus tulevad (tagasi).
Kuu põleb.
Kuu tuleb (tagasi).
Kuus tükki.

I think Korea is especially difficult. I've been trying to learn it for years and I still can't get pronunciation completely correct even though I'm half Korean...The syllabification is quite tricky because the ending of the previous sound will sometimes travel to the beginning of the next so you need to know when that happens.

It's really interesting to notice and think about language especially as I studied and have a degree in linguistics. Having studied about 6-7 languages, I found the Latin based languages (Spanish, French, Italian) easiest to learn followed by Japanese.

I’m fluent in Urdu/Hindi (and English of course!) and am learning Turkish right now. The alphabet was hard to pick up (so many dang vowels and uses!) but once I mastered that it’s been relatively easy. I think it helps that Urdu is an amalgamation of many different languages (Arabic, Turkish, Sanskrit, Farsi etc) so the vocabulary overlaps and a lot of words are already familiar to me.

Living in Texas, Spanish was quite easy to learn. I took it throughout all of middle school and high school, I wouldn’t call myself fluent but know enough to get by, I’m planning on taking a conversational Spanish class again to amp up my fluency

Reactions: bellebellebelle19