Are Other Languages As Tricky As English?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Yes, and it's about time to say: Kellemes Karácsonyi Ünnepeket és Boldog Új Évet :smile:

SARM4800 and Gabs007 like this.
  2. And I would like to add: Egge sheggeren :smile: (spelling might be off...)

Traminer likes this.
  3. Stansy likes this.
  4. Slàinte mhath! :smile:

5. This. That is part of its success as a international lingua franca I believe.

chicinthecity777 likes this.
  6. English is seriously so confusing and terribly constructed... How does one teach a non-native English speaker the concept of homonyms, homophones, or homographs??

"I like to fall into the leaves during the season of fall"
    "Each of the teams teems with talent."
    "A minute is 60 seconds, but something minute is very tiny."

And not to mention, to make a word plural, add an "S"... well, sometimes... (teeth not tooths, oxen not oxes, children not childs, mouse/mice (but not house/hice), knife/knives, etc)

Whaaaaat? :confused1::confused1::confused1:

LOL.

MizGemma likes this.
  7. #52 Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    American TV shows are sold to many countries and subtitled in native languages. That's how a lot of my relatives learned to speak English. Writing as you point out is another matter. The spelling is extremely difficult. I feel sorry for them.

I took Russian in school. Nothing to brag about as I grew up speaking a Slavic dialect. Slavic languages are really difficult for English speakers. All the endings for nouns, adjectives, verb and adverbs change at a drop of a hat. If I don't keep up with speaking it, I fail miserably.

Hungarian does not look easy. My little Slavic country was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire for a few centuries. My mom's maiden name is Hungarian. I must have had one ancestor who took a wrong turn south 300 years ago, married a few Slavic women, and had a couple dozen boys. There is nothing else Hungarian about my family.

8. #53 Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Hahaaa for the wester hemisphere probably German. Or where else do you have words like

Berufsausbildungsförderungsgesetz and others? Additionally to that the grammar is pretty... well... it's a tough cookie.

I personally would vote for Chinese, then Russian, then one of those fancy languages using click-sounds

I personally found the following languages easy to learn:

English (sorry), Swedish, Nynorsk, Portugues (which is my first language) and Italian (all those Latin-based languages are pretty easy once you mastered Latin, including speaking it). I love French and dinÄt find it too hard to learn /understand, yet I accept that me speaking French must sound ridiculous.

Mid-hard was Latin, we were expected to speak Latin fluently from the 8th grade on which made the first weeks preeeeeetty hard (I still have no clue why they forced us to do it- for the case Ceasar comes back or what?!) and German, which was the second language I grew up with but ignored completely until the age of 5, then had to learn it in an express way, moving back from Brazil to Germany.

Hard: Korean (still struggling on that), Arabic (see Korean) and Russian (see Korean language)

Beyond imagination for me: Chinese (my mother is fluent in and goes to China once a year to work in a hospital and learn TCM so she is pretty good in it) Hebrew (my mother is fluent in as well) and Hungarian, though I love that language, I can't find a way "in".

9. I noticed that you find the languages with vastly different alphabets difficult - is that a fair assessment? :smile: I find the Korean and Russian alphabet very beautiful, especially the Korean (which I know better). The Korean letters are illustrated like how the mouth is supposed to form when you're pronouncing the letter, which is such a clever way of representing language. I find it fascinating!

10. What about Welsh? Here is a name of a town in North Wales: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. If I could look like Catherine-Zeta Jones, I'd learn how to pronounce it.

11. English is one of the easiest languages on earth. :smile:

chicinthecity777 likes this.
  12. That's one of the easy ones.
    How about Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän?
    Which is also quite simple.