Tips/Advice for customs, VAT, etc.

Hi- I’m traveling to Paris and would love to get some advice. How do you guys pack returning home?

1. Is there a VAT refund outside the gate at CDG? Can I check in my goods after VAT refund after the process?

2. Do you recommend putting your bags and goods inside the carry on or check them in?

3. Also, what do you do with boxes and shopping bags? Do you need to have them with you to show at the refund? Do people toss them out?

Thank you!

1. Yes, there are VAT refund agents/Pablo booths outside of the gate near check-in areas. Go there first and then check-in after in case you need to show goods.

2. I always carry on the valuables. In case of theft or loss, airlines only cover so much.

3. You don’t need original packaging. I’ve usually kept boxes and checked in a cardboard box of boxes filled with worn clothes and/or shoes. You can get a cardboard box from your hotel (if they have one) or at an Office Depot (there’s one that’s a 10-15 minute walk north of the Louvre).

Enjoy Paris!

Hi everyone! I’m planning a trip to Paris for about 2 weeks and will fly from US-France however I’ll probably travel around Europe (Belgium, Germany, etc) during my time in Europe.

1. If I purchase in Paris, am I still eligible to get my VAT refund when I come back to the states?

2. VAT refund for Paris is 12%..does anyone know the rates for Belgium? (Or is there a website that lists these percentages?)

Thank you!

Reactions: francesmonique
Hi everyone! I have a stop over in Heathrow next month and want to visit Chanel My question is this, how do I conceal my purchase from customs back in Norway? Paying toll in Norway makes it not that much cheaper than full price, and if you get stopped with a purchase that should have been presented to them they will confiscate it.

I suppose buying something small is a good idea, but do you have any other tips?

You could send it to yourself, but use a UK sending address, send it registered and mark it as a gift. I have sent presents to friends in Norway, was never an issue even if the items were designer. Usually a little letter helps or a card, in case they open it, but if it isn't from a business address or something that is forbidden to send, it tends to not be an issue

Reactions: Cherrypye
Hi everyone,

I'll be heading to Europe in January. I'll be flying RT from Oslo, Norway but I'll be traveling to Barcelona, Paris, London. When should I claim VAT? I will most likely do the most shopping in Paris as I plan on buying a Celine while there and possibly a bag for my mom as well. I don't anticipate doing any shopping in Spain or England, if I do shop in England it'll most likely be from the Liberty sale.

Reactions: milotic55
Hi everyone,

I'll be heading to Europe in January. I'll be flying RT from Oslo, Norway but I'll be traveling to Barcelona, Paris, London. When should I claim VAT? I will most likely do the most shopping in Paris as I plan on buying a Celine while there and possibly a bag for my mom as well. I don't anticipate doing any shopping in Spain or England, if I do shop in England it'll most likely be from the Liberty sale.

To be honest, Madrid is superb for shopping and amazing bargains to be had, with the low Pound rate, even the UK is not that bad, especially if you hit the sales in January. you should definitely check out Harvey Nichols and Selfridges.

Reactions: francesmonique
What is the process when ordering online via Etsy from France? Item is a bag for $750. I'd get it in a heartbeat but so unsure about import process! Thanks for any help!

I haven't bought from Etsy but a friend does regularly, usually the delivery company charges the import duty from you and then hands the amount over to customs and revenues.

Hi everyone,

Get your VAT forms stamped by tbe Customs agents from the last EU country that you visit when you are departing that country. They will check your passport and boarding pass to verify that you are actually departing that day. (If you are departing by train, there are Customs desks at the major train stations too.)

You can then either mail the forms to the appropriate agent (such as Global Blue or Premier) with the envelope provided by the merchant with your stamped VAT forms OR you can then go to the appropriate Global Blue, Premier, etc desk at the airport and drop off the forms. If you go to the desk, you have the option of talking your refund in cash on the spot minus a small fee (anywhere from around 2 - 25 Euros depending on the size of the refund).

They provide the refund in Euros and will ask if you want to convert to your home currency. Don't do it before checking the conversion rates carefully. I'd take the euros and either keep them for a future trip or exchange them when you get home with your regular bank who will likely give you a better exchange rate.

Hi everyone
I am thinking of buying something at Prada in Amsterdam and I wanted to check something about the VAT refund process. I live in Singapore and I will be flying back to Singapore from Amsterdam via a transfer in Istanbul :
AMS-IST
IST-SIN

So if I purchase something from Prada in Amsterdam, do I do the VAT refund process and collect my VAT in Amsterdam (Schiphol) or do I do my VAT refund in Istanbul ? Is Turkey part of the EU already ?

Hi everyone,

Noway isn't part of the EU so Oslo / Barcelona VAT then Paris /UK as Uk isn't part of the EU either.

Hi everyone
I am thinking of buying something at Prada in Amsterdam and I wanted to check something about the VAT refund process. I live in Singapore and I will be flying back to Singapore from Amsterdam via a transfer in Istanbul :
AMS-IST
IST-SIN

So if I purchase something from Prada in Amsterdam, do I do the VAT refund process and collect my VAT in Amsterdam (Schiphol) or do I do my VAT refund in Istanbul ? Is Turkey part of the EU already ?
erm... afaIk RIGHT NOW Turkey isn't part of the EU yet. But you should check out before leaving as Turkey / EU - that's a pretty spirited discussion that has been going on for over 14 years. I sort of lost track but my last info is that they are still waiting for my country to fulfull their part of the deal - it's a bone of contention the Turkey goes EU-thing. nuff said.

Reactions: lulilu
Hi everyone
AMS-IST
IST-SIN

Amsterdam, you are just connecting through Istanbul.

Hello!
I wanted to clear something up about the tax free/vat free shopping. I have done it many times in the past however, I was always returning directly to the states from the departure airport. My next trip is a little different and may need to be planned accordingly depending on how much of a pain this process might be. I am flying directly from the states to London and plan on staying there for a few days. After, I am flying to Barcelona and staying there for a few days. I plan on shopping in both countries. I know that when I leave London, I will go through customs and will submit my refund and such there. My concern is if I transit back through the UK, will I get fined for brining these items back in even though I am not leaving the airport? If this is the case, I will then transit through another EU country to get home. Also, if I go lets say Frankfurt to go back to the states, I know you must submit your refund and receive the stamp at the last departure from the EU. Is there a way to do this inside the transit area or must I go outside of security to do this? I may have to go outside of security anyway (I work in the airline industry and if I check my bag it will only go to the next destination not all the way through) but if I am able to stay in the transit area to do this it would be a lot easier. Sorry if this is very confusing. If you have any experience with this please let me know.

Hello!
I wanted to clear something up about the tax free/vat free shopping. I have done it many times in the past however, I was always returning directly to the states from the departure airport. My next trip is a little different and may need to be planned accordingly depending on how much of a pain this process might be. I am flying directly from the states to London and plan on staying there for a few days. After, I am flying to Barcelona and staying there for a few days. I plan on shopping in both countries. I know that when I leave London, I will go through customs and will submit my refund and such there. My concern is if I transit back through the UK, will I get fined for brining these items back in even though I am not leaving the airport? If this is the case, I will then transit through another EU country to get home. Also, if I go lets say Frankfurt to go back to the states, I know you must submit your refund and receive the stamp at the last departure from the EU. Is there a way to do this inside the transit area or must I go outside of security to do this? I may have to go outside of security anyway (I work in the airline industry and if I check my bag it will only go to the next destination not all the way through) but if I am able to stay in the transit area to do this it would be a lot easier. Sorry if this is very confusing. If you have any experience with this please let me know.