Tips/Advice for customs, VAT, etc.

Hi everyone! I’ll be going to France soon and was wondering about the VAT refund. If I make a purchase with half credit card and cash, how does the refund work? Because I know CC refunds are higher than cash...thank you!

I believe if you're doing the immediate VAT refund, then you don't need to go to the VAT refund at the airport.

US Customs allows you to bring back $800 (or $1600 if traveling with your spouse). They will tax you a fixed 3% for the first $1k over that limit. Anything over that, they will tax you about 4-6% for a leather handbag (this percentage varies depending on the item and it's up the US Customs officer to determine the percentage).

Reactions: nycgirl79
I believe if you're doing the immediate VAT refund, then you don't need to go to the VAT refund at the airport.

US Customs allows you to bring back $800 (or $1600 if traveling with your spouse). They will tax you a fixed 3% for the first $1k over that limit. Anything over that, they will tax you about 4-6% for a leather handbag (this percentage varies depending on the item and it's up the US Customs officer to determine the percentage).

Thank you so much, cmd28!

Despite reading numerous blogs and articles, I can’t seem to find an answer so I’m hoping someone can help me out.
I’m currently in Paris, and looking to purchase a bag. It looks like Le Bon Marche has an on-site refund point of 10.8%. If I take advantage of the immediate refund, do I still need to get papers stamped at CDG on my way home? I would love to avoid the crazy long VAT refund lines, so if this is one way of doing that, great. Additionally, does any know the exact import percentage fee (duty fee? have no idea what it’s called!) charged by the US?
Thank you so much!
Yes you still need to scan the VAT refund form using the Pablo kiosk as the airport or Bon Marche will claw back the detaxe amount using your cc after 3 months, they need to see electronic proof that your item left the country. Btw it’s mostly automated nowadays at CDG airport for refund, only occasionally that you will have to appear before customs officials, depending on the time of day, lines shouldn’t be a problem anymore, they move much faster, it’s like scanning for a price at the supermarket. Bon Marche is v good about explaining how the process works.

Reactions: nycgirl79
Hi everyone! I’ll be going to France soon and was wondering about the VAT refund. If I make a purchase with half credit card and cash, how does the refund work? Because I know CC refunds are higher than cash...thank you!

I think you’ve confused the payment process with the VAT refund process.

How you pay doesn’t affect your VAT refund process or the amount received back. ie. no matter how you make the purchase (all cash, all CC or half cash/half CC), the VAT refund process is the same.

When you pay, some retailers will ask how you want your the VAT refund. (Others leave it blank on the VAT form and you fill it in yourself). You can choose to get it back via credit card or cash.

If you elect to receive the refund in cash, you get less back but personally I find it safer and less troublesome as it’s done right at the airport on departure and you don’t have to worry about it anymore.

Reactions: pandalover1119
Yes you still need to scan the VAT refund form using the Pablo kiosk as the airport or Bon Marche will claw back the detaxe amount using your cc after 3 months, they need to see electronic proof that your item left the country. Btw it’s mostly automated nowadays at CDG airport for refund, only occasionally that you will have to appear before customs officials, depending on the time of day, lines shouldn’t be a problem anymore, they move much faster, it’s like scanning for a price at the supermarket. Bon Marche is v good about explaining how the process works.

Thank you!!

Hi everyone! I have a stop over in Heathrow next month and want to visit Chanel My question is this, how do I conceal my purchase from customs back in Norway? Paying toll in Norway makes it not that much cheaper than full price, and if you get stopped with a purchase that should have been presented to them they will confiscate it.

I suppose buying something small is a good idea, but do you have any other tips?

I asked my cousin to send me Hermes twilly (€145) from Germany to US ( sold out in US).
I wondered do I have to pay import tax for gift send from Germany.
Or my cousin have to pay in advance when she ship that item.
Could someone share some experiences send stuffs from Europe unions to US?
thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My experiences, with Germany/US packages:
1) fill out customs form to declare contents/value
2) mark as "gift"
3) US international postage cost is much higher than Germany's
4) around Christmas, German mail delivery crawls as a drunken slug

No duties paid, either end. For gifts.
You will not have trouble with twilly.

Reactions: Gabs007
I found a bag online in the UK (John Lewis) that shows price including “all applicable tax” but want to ship to me in the US—international delivery is 18.00.

Without knowing the method of shipment, does anybody have experience in what to expect with an “import” —cost?

I searched but could not find anything, thought here would be best place to post question. Thank you!

I found a bag online in the UK (John Lewis) that shows price including “all applicable tax” but want to ship to me in the US—international delivery is 18.00.

Without knowing the method of shipment, does anybody have experience in what to expect with an “import” —cost?

I searched but could not find anything, thought here would be best place to post question. Thank you!
Hi I am having this same issue right now. I want to buy a bag from a UK merchant to ship to me in the US. I emailed them to ask if they knew what the customs fees would be for me and they said they weren't sure but their estimate would be around 20% of the cost of the item. However I have no idea how accurate that estimate is. I may start a separate thread.

I want to buy a bag from a UK merchant to ship to me in the US. I emailed them to ask if they knew what the customs fees would be for me and they said they weren't sure but their estimate would be around 20% of the cost of the item. However I have no idea how accurate that estimate is.

Has anyone imported leather handbags into the US from Europe and do you know what % the customs fee is?

Hi- I’m traveling to Paris and would love to get some advice. How do you guys pack returning home?

1. Is there a VAT refund outside the gate at CDG? Can I check in my goods after VAT refund after the process?

2. Do you recommend putting your bags and goods inside the carry on or check them in?

3. Also, what do you do with boxes and shopping bags? Do you need to have them with you to show at the refund? Do people toss them out?

Thank you!