Scarves MYH's Scarf Showcase - and philosophical ramblings about how I built my collection

Hey everyone!! I’m back. Sorry it took me longer than expected. We are still “under construction” here at our new place and a large custom built-in took up several days of my time. Then my new scarf storage chest arrived. Yes....I will share pics in a little while.

But let’s get back to our scarf poll! So I asked everyone which 90cm scarf they would choose to keep an outfit looking “fresh” and not “frumpy”. And the results were pretty much as I had expected.

Votes:
Colliers de Chiens - 13
Fleurs d’Indiennes - 11
Fleurs de Provence - 0
Chases en Inde - 0

Some people did write in that they would go with Hermes Electrique, Onde de Chic, or a Bandana Print.

In my mind, the CdC and FdI pretty much came in as a tie. The reasons I heard for choosing these two scarves were:
1) Colors are fresh & vibrant
2) Med-large format print
3) Modern, abstract print that gives off a “fun” vibe

I noticed we all backed away from small print and flowers (Fleurs de Provence and Chases en Inde). Although @frou frou , did throw in a twist. She offered up a very bright Fleurs de Provence and described how she would tie it with the tails hanging down her back, and as I imagined this, I did think, yes, that would totally change the look of scarf. So there is yet another layer of complexity in this scarf tying business. Scarf tying....which we will get to.

So if you are a new scarf collector, here is a little food for thought for you! I wished someone had told me these things when I first started. I was basically just taking stabs in the dark. Ugh. For experienced collectors, I think we have all learned through trial and error what works for us and what doesn’t. I had to smile when I read @Bostonjetset response. He would wear a very traditional scarf and print for irony! :biggrin: And you know, I can totally see that is his personality. And yes, everyone can make a scarf their own as @rainneday pointed out, but I think if you’re just starting out and are feeling tentative about your choice when you get to the scarf counter at the boutique, it’s helpful to have a few hints and guidelines to point you in the right direction.

Through the years, I have learned developed the following guidelines for myself:
1) Stay away from small busy prints and flowers
2) Scarves with a lot of gold are not for me
3) Scarves with large borders do not tie well cowboy style - I don’t buy these
4) Scarves with designs that go all the way to the edge with contrast hems are my favorite
5) Stay away from pastels unless there are some bold colors mixed in there as well
6) Big cats, leopard print, tiger print are not for me (I don’t own any pieces of leopard print clothing)
7) Scarves with cartoons don’t work for me (I feel they make me look like I’m trying too hard to be youthful) - this rule is really painful for me because I adore Super H but couldn’t bring myself to buy one
8) 140cm scarves are the size I’m going to use the most
9) 70cms are also easy for me to wear
10) 90cms - ugh - I will make exceptions for ones I adore
11) Mousselines - be really careful - the print here is really important because it’s hard to tie this scarf period.

I’m sure I have more “rules” for myself but these are the ones off the top of my head. I’m curious to hear what rules the more experienced collectors out there have made for themselves?

Welcome back, @MYH! Can't wait to see your closet and other wonderful updates. BTW: I tried your casual cowboy knot that you documented a few years ago and showed pics of in this thread and I love it. So easy and it's a nice update from the standard cowboy knot. Thank you!
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...k-twill-casually.883586/page-10#post-27535542

Reactions: MYH
For those curious about my new scarf storage, here’s what I chose. I am hoping this chest of drawers will last me for the rest of my entire life with my scarf collection. I didn’t want to keep finding a new solution everytime my scarf collection grew. So far, my scarves only take up 2 drawers and they are not even full. So I still have a full 2.5 more drawers to fill. :yes: This chest of drawers is also serving double duty as my beside table too.

I ordered it from Poltrona Frau. For those that are interested, be aware it is custom made and does take 5 months to arrive. ugh.... the waiting is the worst part! It’s a monster of a chest and measures in at 48” long. It’s about 20.5 “ deep and the heigh of each drawer is about 4.5” tall. The height is fantastic for scarf storage. Not too tall (so space is wasted) but also not too shallow either. The drawers “soft close” as well which seems to help the scarves stay in place and not slide towards the back of the drawer.

So far, I have found that two rows of 140cms fit perfectly in the drawers or a row of 90cms and then a row of 70cms in the same drawer also work. The drawers are lined in linen-like material so I feel comfortable just putting my scarves right in them. My previous drawers were made of wood and I used to line them with acid free tissue paper which honestly didn’t look very nice and was a PITA. I was worried the wood inside my previous drawers were not smooth enough and would cause snags, especially in my cashmeres. These drawers are smooth and worry-free. The chest is wrapped in leather and I would say, probably looks like gris perle. I thought I had chosen Gris Asphalte but I couldn’t really tell by the little swatch I had to choose from but I’m fine with the color it turned out to be. I think it’s hilarious that this huge chest makes my scarf collection look small. :lol: Can you believe all my 90cms fit in one row? Crazy right!! And I’m sure I could squeeze in 10 more too.

Here are some pics for fun. I’d thought I’d share how I store my scarves because I know it’s a constant source of angst for many of us. I have heard really creative ideas like a Tansu or chest of drawers that originally stored maps. I have some friends that keep their scarves in their orange boxes but I know that definitely doesn’t work for me. I have to see all my scarves laid out for me to know which one to pick with my outfit of the day. So far it’s been a dream storage solution. It is such a luxury to open up the drawers and see all my scarves neatly folded in one place. It’s so easy to select the one I want to wear that day.

Let me know if you have any questions. Now I just need to find the perfect table lamps! And choose a new bedroom paint color. There is too much grey going on right now.

E23F57FF-B546-4B2D-BD6F-E56F374855F6.jpeg D65D5CFE-6ABA-42AD-A8DB-E36ACD777077.jpeg 9E1DCC03-2A30-4B2E-9571-E8C214704C08.jpeg

9233998B-864E-4142-B951-5F504B556B90.jpeg
5B0299DB-FAED-488B-8B6B-DB7ABEEE2F1D.jpeg
D67920B1-2FB1-4ED5-BF9C-E982E0D29A8F.jpeg

For those curious about my new scarf storage, here’s what I chose. I am hoping this chest of drawers will last me for the rest of my entire life with my scarf collection. I didn’t want to keep finding a new solution everytime my scarf collection grew. So far, my scarves only take up 2 drawers and they are not even full. So I still have a full 2.5 more drawers to fill. :yes: This chest of drawers is also serving double duty as my beside table too.

I ordered it from Poltrona Frau. For those that are interested, be aware it is custom made and does take 5 months to arrive. ugh.... the waiting is the worst part! It’s a monster of a chest and measures in at 48” long. It’s about 20.5 “ deep and the heigh of each drawer is about 4.5” tall. The height is fantastic for scarf storage. Not too tall (so space is wasted) but also not too shallow either. The drawers “soft close” as well which seems to help the scarves stay in place and not slide towards the back of the drawer.

So far, I have found that two rows of 140cms fit perfectly in the drawers or a row of 90cms and then a row of 70cms in the same drawer also work. The drawers are lined in linen-like material so I feel comfortable just putting my scarves right in them. My previous drawers were made of wood and I used to line them with acid free tissue paper which honestly didn’t look very nice and was a PITA. I was worried the wood inside my previous drawers were not smooth enough and would cause snags, especially in my cashmeres. These drawers are smooth and worry-free. The chest is wrapped in leather and I would say, probably looks like gris perle. I thought I had chosen Gris Asphalte but I couldn’t really tell by the little swatch I had to choose from but I’m fine with the color it turned out to be. I think it’s hilarious that this huge chest makes my scarf collection look small. :lol: Can you believe all my 90cms fit in one row? Crazy right!! And I’m sure I could squeeze in 10 more too.

Here are some pics for fun. I’d thought I’d share how I store my scarves because I know it’s a constant source of angst for many of us. I have heard really creative ideas like a Tansu or chest of drawers that originally stored maps. I have some friends that keep their scarves in their orange boxes but I know that definitely doesn’t work for me. I have to see all my scarves laid out for me to know which one to pick with my outfit of the day. So far it’s been a dream storage solution. It is such a luxury to open up the drawers and see all my scarves neatly folded in one place. It’s so easy to select the one I want to wear that day.

Let me know if you have any questions. Now I just need to find the perfect table lamps! And choose a new bedroom paint color. There is too much grey going on right now.

View attachment 3941485 View attachment 3941486 View attachment 3941488

View attachment 3941492
View attachment 3941493
View attachment 3941494
Wowza dear. Just perfect in every way. Where the heck is the swooning faint emoji! Love this.

Welcome back, @MYH! Can't wait to see your closet and other wonderful updates. BTW: I tried your casual cowboy knot that you documented a few years ago and showed pics of in this thread and I love it. So easy and it's a nice update from the standard cowboy knot. Thank you!
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...k-twill-casually.883586/page-10#post-27535542
Wonderful! I think this might be my favorite knot for 90cms. Also, sometimes, instead of folding the scarf in half to begin with, I fold it in thirds and do the same knot.

View attachment 3941485 View attachment 3941486 View attachment 3941488

View attachment 3941492
View attachment 3941493
View attachment 3941494

SWOON! Love the beautiful storage cabinet, but mostly, I just love the colorful eye candy. :lol: I'm so glad you found a comfortable, beautiful, and functional method to store your lovely collection. I love that the chest is wrapped in that lovely shade of leather. Sumptuous!

Wonderful! I think this might be my favorite knot for 90cms. Also, sometimes, instead of folding the scarf in half to begin with, I fold it in thirds and do the same knot.

Ooh, thank you for the tip! I will have to try that next. :tup:

Agree that moussies are difficult to tie.... For this reason, I don’t reach for mine too often.

It’s really helpful to read MYH’s philosophical ramblings. My own collex has tended to grow organically as a result of “likes” which means I have more colour concentration than I care for. The design I find most versatile is “La Reale”. The tassels and fleurs de Lis work for many different occasions.

Hey everyone!! I’m back. Sorry it took me longer than expected. We are still “under construction” here at our new place and a large custom built-in took up several days of my time. Then my new scarf storage chest arrived. Yes....I will share pics in a little while.

But let’s get back to our scarf poll! So I asked everyone which 90cm scarf they would choose to keep an outfit looking “fresh” and not “frumpy”. And the results were pretty much as I had expected.

Votes:
Colliers de Chiens - 13
Fleurs d’Indiennes - 11
Fleurs de Provence - 0
Chases en Inde - 0

Some people did write in that they would go with Hermes Electrique, Onde de Chic, or a Bandana Print.

In my mind, the CdC and FdI pretty much came in as a tie. The reasons I heard for choosing these two scarves were:

I noticed we all backed away from small print and flowers (Fleurs de Provence and Chases en Inde). Although @frou frou , did throw in a twist. She offered up a very bright Fleurs de Provence and described how she would tie it with the tails hanging down her back, and as I imagined this, I did think, yes, that would totally change the look of scarf. So there is yet another layer of complexity in this scarf tying business. Scarf tying....which we will get to.

So if you are a new scarf collector, here is a little food for thought for you! I wished someone had told me these things when I first started. I was basically just taking stabs in the dark. Ugh. For experienced collectors, I think we have all learned through trial and error what works for us and what doesn’t. I had to smile when I read @Bostonjetset response. He would wear a very traditional scarf and print for irony! :biggrin: And you know, I can totally see that is his personality. And yes, everyone can make a scarf their own as @rainneday pointed out, but I think if you’re just starting out and are feeling tentative about your choice when you get to the scarf counter at the boutique, it’s helpful to have a few hints and guidelines to point you in the right direction.

Through the years, I have learned developed the following guidelines for myself:
4) Scarves with designs that go all the way to the edge with contrast hems are my favorite
5) Stay away from pastels unless there are some bold colors mixed in there as well
6) Big cats, leopard print, tiger print are not for me (I don’t own any pieces of leopard print clothing)
7) Scarves with cartoons don’t work for me (I feel they make me look like I’m trying too hard to be youthful) - this rule is really painful for me because I adore Super H but couldn’t bring myself to buy one
11) Mousselines - be really careful - the print here is really important because it’s hard to tie this scarf period.

I’m sure I have more “rules” for myself but these are the ones off the top of my head. I’m curious to hear what rules the more experienced collectors out there have made for themselves?

Wonderful insights! I have no rules yet. :shrugs: I really should but I still buy on looks.:P I feel like all my scarves are “trophy” scarves.

I agree about designs that go to the border. I had never thought about this but you are right. They are so much easier to tie! I must look at my scarves and see what I use the most! And thank you for your guidlines. It’s always nice to hear scarf collectors thoughts!:flowers:

Idk that I am experienced at buying H scarves, as my first was purchased a few years ago, but I have worn scarves by other brands all of my life. I too tend to stay away from the H prints with people on them, it just isn't my style for no particular reason...it doesn't "feel" right. I do like the Metamorphoses par Hermes, but I didn't buy one when it was available.
I don't have many concrete rules to choosing a scarf, I need to try to try them on...if they light up my face, I usually buy them. If they are just there as accessory, I pass. I want the scarf to work for me, not to be the centerpiece. There are some scarves that I love their design, but they would be better suited to hanging on my wall than around my neck, usually because of the CW. I am very picky about what comes home with me & haven't parted with any of my collection, yet. I guess my basic rules would be to stick with colors that I know work with my skin tone, and then to feel a connection to the subject of the scarf. I have bought a few scarves online & they were in CWs that were "safe" for me.
Your new scarf chest is stunning! I am sure it will bring added enjoyment to choosing a scarf for the day!

This hadn't occurred to me. Off I go to play with my two 90s - I have one of each type! I'll be curious to see if this holds true for me. I, for one, find these musings very helpful for going forward.

Reactions: Julide

Votes:
Colliers de Chiens - 13
Fleurs d’Indiennes - 11
Fleurs de Provence - 0
Chases en Inde - 0

These are so interesting! Mine are quite different and you are inspiring me to really articulate my own guidelines

These are beautiful. Twins on l’arte d’ecrire silk.

I do enjoy a variety of designs. I enjoy the intricate designs for their artistry. Most of my intricate designs are rather monochromatic which makes them more wearable for me, though I have a few crazy bright intricate designs that I just love for summer. They take my dark neutral wardrobe into the warm weather.

I prefer simpler designs for my large formats. I find the combination of the simple design and large format so wearable. I do at times think that they are not uniquely Hermes. And I kind of rationalize my scarf purchases as supporting the arts. So I don’t get that added justification. [emoji22] But the quality of the silk and cashmere from Hermes still makes these pieces special imo.
Thank you, and yes, gotta love L'arte d'ecrire. The vanilla CW is my second-most complimented scarf (gets many more compliments than the black one, interestingly.)

I share many of the preferences and practices you describe, including the supporting-the-arts rationalization and regretting that the simpler designs give me less to work with on that front. But the reduced opportunity to rationalize hasn't stopped me from acquiring them yet.

Love thinking about this list, thank you. I have only minimal experience collecting, but lots of experience thinking and typing, so I'll weigh in anyway. :smile:

List item #4 is me all over, and I wish I'd figured it out a lot sooner. But I cut myself some slack: I had never even heard the phrase "contrast hem" before I started this ride. I'm tickled to see it as somebody else's rule too: I thought I was all special and everything.

I too have a no-more-big-borders rule, for different but related reasons. It turns out there are very few ways I can tie a large-bordered 90 that do show the details but don't draw the viewer's eye to places I'd rather it not go. (All cowboy knots look bad on me unless they're under a jacket, so I have my own rule that says, "If it needs a cowboy knot, it's not for you.")

My personal list of things I wish someone had told me (or reminded me of) when I started is long, but here are two.

1. Remember that you are not Iris Apfel. Or Christine Lagarde or Lupita Nyong'o or MaiTai. What they do will not necessarily (and, in my case, usually won't) work for you . . .

2. . . . But that can be a good thing! I was drawn to the noir-and-argent Vif Argent for a long time, but I knew MaiTai's elegant styling that looks so spare and polka-dot-like wouldn't be right on me, so I hesitated. I finally took the plunge and realized that when I tie it to show off more of the molten silver, all that scarf bling around my neck gives me rush, makes me feel less MaiTai-wannabe and more this.

I hope more people will post guidelines of their own that they use for themselves.

Last edited: