Scarves MYH's Scarf Showcase - and philosophical ramblings about how I built my collection

Thank you, and yes, gotta love L'arte d'ecrire. The vanilla CW is my second-most complimented scarf (gets many more compliments than the black one, interestingly.)

I share many of the preferences and practices you describe, including the supporting-the-arts rationalization and regretting that the simpler designs give me less to work with on that front. But the reduced opportunity to rationalize hasn't stopped me from acquiring them yet.

Love thinking about this list, thank you. I have only minimal experience collecting, but lots of experience thinking and typing, so I'll weigh in anyway. :smile:

List item #4 is me all over, and I wish I'd figured it out a lot sooner. But I cut myself some slack: I had never even heard the phrase "contrast hem" before I started this ride. I'm tickled to see it as somebody else's rule too: I thought I was all special and everything.

I too have a no-more-big-borders rule, for different but related reasons. It turns out there are very few ways I can tie a large-bordered 90 that do show the details but don't draw the viewer's eye to places I'd rather it not go. (All cowboy knots look bad on me unless they're under a jacket, so I have my own rule that says, "If it needs a cowboy knot, it's not for you.")

My personal list of things I wish someone had told me (or reminded me of) when I started is long, but here are two.

1. Remember that you are not Iris Apfel. Or Christine Lagarde or Lupita Nyong'o or MaiTai. What they do will not necessarily (and, in my case, usually won't) work for you . . .

2. . . . But that can be a good thing! I was drawn to the noir-and-argent Vif Argent for a long time, but I knew MaiTai's elegant styling that looks so spare and polka-dot-like wouldn't be right on me, so I hesitated. I finally took the plunge and realized that when I tie it to show off more of the molten silver, all that scarf bling around my neck gives me rush, makes me feel less MaiTai-wannabe and more this.

I hope more people will post guidelines of their own that they use for themselves.

Mr. T!!:lol:I enjoyed your insights too!!:flowers:I can forget that what will work on me may not be what I see another tPFer styled in. I sometimes forget that inspiration does not mean imitation.:flowers:

I’m sure I have more “rules” for myself but these are the ones off the top of my head. I’m curious to hear what rules the more experienced collectors out there have made for themselves?[/QUOTE]
**I MESSED UP THE QUOTE FEATURE HERE!**
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Just finished power reading the thread from #1 over the last 10days and have thoroughly enjoyed your insight &musings @MYH as well as the input from the other amazing contributors here! :heart:
After swooning over the magnificent scarf chest (and contents) I wondered if I might contribute my guidelines to look my personal best since I’m definitely not a “more experienced collector” than you? (I’ll beg forgiveness later if not wanted and mods can delete) :smile:
1. I need high contrast & pure hues to flatter my features.
2. Knots need to refrain from being too flowy or they make me crazy & I just look silly.
3. Too much fabric does me no favors.
4. I like to have a connection to the subject matter/artwork.

I am really impressed by MYH and turfnsurf and others not mentioned here who have guidelines to curate their collex. My staple wardrobe prime colours , represented in my scarves are black, navy blue and taupe. The highlight colours which work well for me are turquoise and orange.
One dynamic which affected my collex, I was not prepared for, was the gradual lightening of colour of my hair & skin..... Ahem, I started collecting in 1994. Jewel tones and gold looked on me then. Now I need softer colours like Bleu Agate, and silver. I have resisted changing the silver in my hair. It is my wisdom.

I am really impressed by MYH and turfnsurf and others not mentioned here who have guidelines to curate their collex. My staple wardrobe prime colours , represented in my scarves are black, navy blue and taupe. The highlight colours which work well for me are turquoise and orange.
One dynamic which affected my collex, I was not prepared for, was the gradual lightening of colour of my hair & skin..... Ahem, I started collecting in 1994. Jewel tones and gold looked on me then. Now I need softer colours like Bleu Agate, and silver. I have resisted changing the silver in my hair. It is my wisdom.
This is so true for me too dear. Especially since my hair stylist added highlights on my bangs, i tend to favor blues, silvers, and cool tones in my silks. I used to be able to wear super bright colors, and now choose a balance of cool and warm tones.

I tend to select my silk patterns and images that have some meaning to me. Case in point, last season the Tresors d’un Artiste called out to me due to my profession. I went for the GM size though because the scale really suited me. Struggling at times to preserve some 90s in my drawers since most days i prefer the GM sizes but there are a few I will not part with that happen to be my grails.

This is so beautiful! I'm only on page 3 so far! For your favorite scarf, the asymmetrical "square" you have on image with it in one long loop with a ball-knot at the end. How did you do that? Do you fold/roll it a certain way and knot it and tuck the ends in to hide them? I will appreciate it so much if you share! I love the look and never know how to wear a square-ish (smaller) scarf because I don't like to wear them close to the neck. This looks great!

View attachment 3921782

View attachment 3921798[/QUOTE]

What a fun topic. Thank you so much for asking everyone their opinions like this. I love to read the discussion and see that so many people see so many different possibilities and have different preferences, but we're all H scarf fans.

My top pick is the top left, Pique Fleuri de Provence. I have it in a different cw and love it. As was mentioned, it is 'quilt like', but to me that was part of the appeal. I have a maroon/purple cw, not sure of the number.

My second choice is top right, Fleurs d’Indiennes. Third is bottom right, Chasse en Inde. Fourth is bottom left, Colliers de Chiens.
I like the "busier' designs. As was mentioned, the CdC is the least 'busy' of the choices, and least appealing to me. When I think of my collection, I realize that the smaller the pattern, the more I'm apt to be attracted to a certain design. Never realized that before.

Just finished power reading the thread from #1 over the last 10days and have thoroughly enjoyed your insight &musings @MYH as well as the input from the other amazing contributors here! :heart:
After swooning over the magnificent scarf chest (and contents) I wondered if I might contribute my guidelines to look my personal best since I’m definitely not a “more experienced collector” than you? (I’ll beg forgiveness later if not wanted and mods can delete) :smile:
2. Knots need to refrain from being too flowy or they make me crazy & I just look silly.
4. I like to have a connection to the subject matter/artwork.
-----------------------

These are my guidelines too! Although I break the rules a lot, especially with soft and pretty CWs . If I fall in love and *HAVE TO* have a pastel scarf, I wear it with bright or bold colored clothing. And absolutely no "pretty bow" knots.
And because of #4 (history, architecture, Ye Olden Days, scarves with writing on them, anything PARIS) I have a lot of scarves with gold and/or scrolling and/or cherubs, which make me look even older than I am. So I am learning to be careful.

I’m sure I have more “rules” for myself but these are the ones off the top of my head. I’m curious to hear what rules the more experienced collectors out there have made for themselves?

4. I like to have a connection to the subject matter/artwork.[/QUOTE]

This is so true for me too dear. Especially since my hair stylist added highlights on my bangs, i tend to favor blues, silvers, and cool tones in my silks. I used to be able to wear super bright colors, and now choose a balance of cool and warm tones.

I tend to select my silk patterns and images that have some meaning to me. Case in point, last season the Tresors d’un Artiste called out to me due to my profession. I went for the GM size though because the scale really suited me. Struggling at times to preserve some 90s in my drawers since most days i prefer the GM sizes but there are a few I will not part with that happen to be my grails.

-----------------------

These are my guidelines too! Although I break the rules a lot, especially with soft and pretty CWs . If I fall in love and *HAVE TO* have a pastel scarf, I wear it with bright or bold colored clothing. And absolutely no "pretty bow" knots.
And because of #4 (history, architecture, Ye Olden Days, scarves with writing on them, anything PARIS) I have a lot of scarves with gold and/or scrolling and/or cherubs, which make me look even older than I am. So I am learning to be careful.

Taking a browse this chilly morning and haven't been in this thread in a long while. I definitely resemble y'all comments.

Moma- I see you more as a sleek and chic, city cool, knot wearer- definitely no bows. I really like your scarf choices, and am in the same boat with pastels. I like them, but have to be really careful as they usually wash me out. (Excepting of course the pastel Iris debacle...now finally sorted out for good....) :smile:

Turfnsurf- I too tend to prefer knots that aren't too long or flowy. I just do way too much picking up bending down and carrying things about to have to worry about things getting dirty or otherwise messed up (hence the preference for pocket squares).

lanit- Mademoiselle_Verdier and lanit- I have also had some color changes over the years in term of what (I think) looks good on me. Orange or lime green is not a color I would have ever chosen a decade or so ago in a scarf, but I tend towards brights nowadays, as a great part of my wardrobe is in grey or black in the winter and black, light grey or soft khakis and browns in summer.

I'm on the verge of a collections rearrangement and so am beginning to think through things carefully because I don't want to mistake a temporary lack of interest in a scarf as a permanent one. Kind of like with max purses, I think I may have a scarf saturations point, and am really beginning to home in on what I really like that feels like "permanent" pieces. Sadly, that may mean some more things I have move on, but it may be needed to "clean things up" a bit.

Thanks, @bunnycat ! Good point about mistaking a temporary lack of interest in a scarf as permanent. Very well articulated!! I have done that, and regretted it (but only once, really, and that was more a sense of "I have too many scarves, need to sell some" guilt.
Please let us know how your collection rethinking goes!

Thanks, @bunnycat ! Good point about mistaking a temporary lack of interest in a scarf as permanent. Very well articulated!! I have done that, and regretted it (but only once, really, and that was more a sense of "I have too many scarves, need to sell some" guilt.
Please let us know how your collection rethinking goes!

Will do! I have a few lined up I am thinking hard on...So far I haven't made any rehoming mistakes but I have definitely done that before with clothes and then figured out later I messed up so trying not to repeat mistakes like that.

On my 5th year now with H scarves, and am pretty sure at the moment I'm in the "I have too many scarves, need to sell some" guilt part like you said above. So I am trying to take my time to sort out what part is just (temporary??) guilt, what I'm ready to send along, what I may still love but need a break from and what kinds of scarves make me go scarf buying crazy....

To help with that, I've been keeping a spreadsheet for the last couple of years (:blush: did I really admit that???). The spreadsheet has been helpful in my own collection development to track what has been kept versus what didn't work and to help find patterns so I don't repeat the mistake.

Will do! I have a few lined up I am thinking hard on...So far I haven't made any rehoming mistakes but I have definitely done that before with clothes and then figured out later I messed up so trying not to repeat mistakes like that.

On my 5th year now with H scarves, and am pretty sure at the moment I'm in the "I have too many scarves, need to sell some" guilt part like you said above. So I am trying to take my time to sort out what part is just (temporary??) guilt, what I'm ready to send along, what I may still love but need a break from and what kinds of scarves make me go scarf buying crazy....

To help with that, I've been keeping a spreadsheet for the last couple of years (:blush: did I really admit that???). The spreadsheet has been helpful in my own collection development to track what has been kept versus what didn't work and to help find patterns so I don't repeat the mistake.
Good for you! Do you also track how many times you wear a scarf? I can't go there.

Reactions: bunnycat

More details on the spreadsheet, please?
(I am totally into scarf geekery) [emoji851]

Good for you! Do you also track how many times you wear a scarf? I can't go there.

No- I can't go there either!! :lol:

More details on the spreadsheet, please?
(I am totally into scarf geekery) [emoji851]

You can do a couple of simple lists to keep things "at a glance". I keep track of scarves I collect by artist, so I can see how many of one artist I might have. Also my other important item to track is purchase/acquisition date (so I can hit myself over the head regularly) so I can see what months get a little too crazy versus when things are more in control. December/January was bad because I got the Jaguar Questzal, Iris, a couple for Xmas, and then found a couple more just after the holidays..... :shocked:

I also add in some other data like price (yikes...that's a real eyeopener) and less used but still interesting for me is format. I have more 90's than I thought (because of Xmas....) but pocket squares still win by a landslide....And then I recently went through and marked off ones that I rehomed but don't delete because I think it still will be good to know what I did have, even if I don't anymore.

No- I can't go there either!! :lol:

You can do a couple of simple lists to keep things "at a glance". I keep track of scarves I collect by artist, so I can see how many of one artist I might have. Also my other important item to track is purchase/acquisition date (so I can hit myself over the head regularly) so I can see what months get a little too crazy versus when things are more in control. December/January was bad because I got the Jaguar Questzal, Iris, a couple for Xmas, and then found a couple more just after the holidays..... :shocked:

I also add in some other data like price (yikes...that's a real eyeopener) and less used but still interesting for me is format. I have more 90's than I thought (because of Xmas....) but pocket squares still win by a landslide....And then I recently went through and marked off ones that I rehomed but don't delete because I think it still will be good to know what I did have, even if I don't anymore.
Thank you bunnycat. This is very helpful, especially ones that were rehomed for just the reason you stated. Starting slowly, but surely.

Reactions: bunnycat and Julide