**Hermes Chat**

@lulilu I don't know about dogs memory specifically but I know they on average have a intelligence of a 2-3 year old human babies. I think they would know you are away for a while and Harry and the previous one Charlie were both good at sulking. Sign of a spoilt dog perhaps?
@etoupebirkin I am shocked at how much weight you can lift! Wow! You must put a lot of training to it!
I have been trying get back to yoga and downloaded some app. Just started a routine which was supposed to be for beginners but I can hardly keep up. Need to practise more to get back to the game. It does feel so good afterwards!

Reactions: lulilu
lulilu, the kennel I use is good--They would never take a symptomatic dog and they insist on proof of all vaccinations, including Bordatella. But as OB said, kennel cough is the canine equivalent of the common cold or flu--there are lots of strains of the virus so even the vaccine (which, I think, covers about six strains) is no guarantee that another version won't strike. It is respiratory, so highly contagious no matter how careful the kennel is about hygiene. And I suspect a dog could be infectious before symptoms appear. All of which is my long-winded way of saying that it's just not possible to guard against this disease completely. But it is generally fairly mild and self-limiting. Some vets wouldn't even have prescribed antibiotics at this point (which, since the disease is viral, will do nothing for the primary illness). There is a very slight chance that it can morph into pneumonia (I think largely from the dog inhaling aspirated mucous, but I could be wrong about that). Fortunately, complications are not common.
I informed the kennel and they were apologetic, glad I called, and want to be kept in the loop. They confirmed that they are on the highest level of anti-kennel-cough protocols and will remain vigilant--I believe they do their best. Interestingly, the person from the kennel said that sometimes she has seen vets use this diagnosis as a cash cow, by suggesting all sorts of unnecessary additional "rule-out" testing and "prophylactic" meds. . . . As it happens, the vet at the ER did try to sell me on a $700 chest x-ray "just in case" there is an obstruction. Er, I love my dogs HUGELY, but I felt that that test was premature at best, and not medically indicated at worst. So the kennel may have had a point. I'll check in with our regular vet on Monday.
Try not to worry too much about your little ones! Henry (and Olive) stayed at this kennel a dozen times with no ill effects. Just be sure any facility you have is sensible about their practices on vaccines and hygiene, as of course you already are.
Good vibes for HenHen and Mabs are appreciated. Heck, I'll take some too, if there are any spares.

Reactions: lulilu and prepster
lulilu, the kennel I use is good--They would never take a symptomatic dog and they insist on proof of all vaccinations, including Bordatella. But as OB said, kennel cough is the canine equivalent of the common cold or flu--there are lots of strains of the virus so even the vaccine (which, I think, covers about six strains) is no guarantee that another version won't strike. It is respiratory, so highly contagious no matter how careful the kennel is about hygiene. And I suspect a dog could be infectious before symptoms appear. All of which is my long-winded way of saying that it's just not possible to guard against this disease completely. But it is generally fairly mild and self-limiting. Some vets wouldn't even have prescribed antibiotics at this point (which, since the disease is viral, will do nothing for the primary illness). There is a very slight chance that it can morph into pneumonia (I think largely from the dog inhaling aspirated mucous, but I could be wrong about that). Fortunately, complications are not common.
I informed the kennel and they were apologetic, glad I called, and want to be kept in the loop. They confirmed that they are on the highest level of anti-kennel-cough protocols and will remain vigilant--I believe they do their best. Interestingly, the person from the kennel said that sometimes she has seen vets use this diagnosis as a cash cow, by suggesting all sorts of unnecessary additional "rule-out" testing and "prophylactic" meds. . . . As it happens, the vet at the ER did try to sell me on a $700 chest x-ray "just in case" there is an obstruction. Er, I love my dogs HUGELY, but I felt that that test was premature at best, and not medically indicated at worst. So the kennel may have had a point. I'll check in with our regular vet on Monday.
Try not to worry too much about your little ones! Henry (and Olive) stayed at this kennel a dozen times with no ill effects. Just be sure any facility you have is sensible about their practices on vaccines and hygiene, as of course you already are.
Good vibes for HenHen and Mabs are appreciated. Heck, I'll take some too, if there are any spares.

Did they say anything about the H3N2 dog flu?

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.
But I came to the realization that I had to make serious changes in my lifestyle or I would have serious medical impacts that would affect my quality of life and mobility. So, I really had no choice in the matter. I changed my diet, exercise patterns, vitamins and sleep patterns.
The result is I feel 10-15 years younger. I am sure I am no longer pre-diabetic either.

I firmly believe that you ladies would make the same choices as I did given the situation.

Reactions: prepster and MSO13
7!!!! WOW!!!!! I hope he had a great birthday.
Mindi, I hope Henry feels better and that Mabel remains symptom free.
Lulilu, Safe travels
xiangxiang, I bet the boy misses Harry too.

My gym has some really cute dogs. I am not ruling out getting one once I retire.

Also, next Friday, I am going to see how much I can deadlift, squat and bench press. Saturday is my 58th birthday, and I wanted to deadlift at least 200lbs. Currently, I have done 3 sets of 5 reps (deadlifts) at 190lbs (pretty easily). Yesterday I did 17 reps of squats between 120 and 127lbs. I've done single 130lb squats pretty easily. Bench pressing, I am a newbie, so I am unsure of my load. But I am getting the hang of it.

In the future, I probably will enter some local weight lifting competitions. So, we are going to structure my training like a meet where for each discipline I will have three progressively heavier lifts. These are one shot deals where I will follow the commands of a judge (in this case, my trainer).

Also, because of the strength training and physical therapy, I can go down stairs without holding onto a bannister. This is a huge deal for me and my severely arthritic knees.

I am a testament to strength training helping movement and flexibility for people with osteoarthritis.

Right now I need to do my PT exercises.
I guess the lifting helps your quads which strengthens the knees? I've had replacements in each knee. i do not like to stand and don't walk much but I do use stationary bike multiple times during the week to keep joint flexible. This is very important for knee comfort. I'm a bit older than you so I have "worn out" more cartilage. But for my last knee replacement I breezed thru physical therapy and in fact did a really short bout of it, really short. Stationary bike use really strengthened knees.
Congrats on your lifting prowess, EB, and happy birthday. Amazing how people can go into new, unforeseen phases in their lives and doors open up accordingly. Are you going to tan yourself like crazy to look like a female weight lifter typically does?
I have been reading about eye care. I was surprised to read that weight lifting can put pressure on the eyes. I am not trying to be a pill. Just be careful, EB.. . . Maybe ask an eye doc what she recommends . . . ?

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.
But I came to the realization that I had to make serious changes in my lifestyle or I would have serious medical impacts that would affect my quality of life and mobility. So, I really had no choice in the matter. I changed my diet, exercise patterns, vitamins and sleep patterns.
The result is I feel 10-15 years younger. I am sure I am no longer pre-diabetic either.

I firmly believe that you ladies would make the same choices as I did given the situation.
I felll in the Hecht's parking lot 20 years ago and that led me to go to the gym and use the weight machines and some free weights Early 50s was a good time to do that. Still had energy.. I haven't gone back to the machines in a while but I do lift free weights some during the week so that if I fall again I can pick myself up, for Pete's sake!!!!!

Well, I hope most people would try to improve their habits to prolong healthy mobility, EB, but you don't do things by halves. You have embraced a new lifestyle, complete with competitive lifting. And I've seen you shop, which you do with speed, decisiveness and ferocity. AND you clearly give your all to your work AND your family, all at the same time. You, as I believe I've said before, are a force of nature (a good one).
So let us admire ya.

For those waiting for a Henry Health Update (anyone? :P)--he's doing fine. He clearly doesn't feel great and is spending most of his time sleeping, but his coughing last night was less frequent and intense (is that good or bad? I don't know; hoping it means less inflammation and not a move toward the lungs) and he continues to eat normally. No panting and still no GI issues.
We crated him last night so he was forced to remain relatively calm and still and so his sputum wasn't being actively shared with the entire family (ewww). He made some unhappy noises about 2 am, so DH--get this--took his pillow and lay on the floor next to the crate so HenHen wouldn't feel alone.
Love my guys.
Miss Mabs continues to be preternaturally fuzzy.

Is Henry just a little down? I hope he's not really sick. Such a worry when they are sick.

LOL re Harry sulking, XX. I have read that dogs don't really have "memory" like we do, e.g., scolding them if they are not "caught in the act" is meaningless as they do not understand why you are scolding. Not sure if this is true or not. I always hope it means that they do not know how long you are gone when they are boarded.

So sad to have the pups feeling bad.
I have been away in Kenya and Tanzania for a solid month and my pups stay with our housekeeper, which is I think easier on them than a kennel. She lost one of her dogs and loves ours and it is a comfort to her as well. But one of our dogs is a rescue...and I mean I found her on the street, starving - I do not believe she ever had an owner or a home, she may have been a puppy mill breeding dog, or a yard dog of some kind. Having humans to love has just blown her mind - it has been amazing to see her blossom. We had her 11 months before I went away on this trip (I've been on short trips of course but never a month), and coming back - I now KNOW dogs have a sense of time and memory. My older pup whom I have had for 9 years knows I will always return - he is fine. My poor sweet new rescue woof - she's been shaky for days, glued to my side. I really think she thought I'd never come back. This weekend she is finally calm and happy again.

They think I'll lift 225. I'll let you all know....

I remember when you were deadlifting 70, I think? AMAZING. You are an inspiration (and look fabulous!).

For those waiting for a Henry Health Update (anyone? :P)--he's doing fine. He clearly doesn't feel great and is spending most of his time sleeping, but his coughing last night was less frequent and intense (is that good or bad? I don't know; hoping it means less inflammation and not a move toward the lungs) and he continues to eat normally. No panting and still no GI issues.
We crated him last night so he was forced to remain relatively calm and still and so his sputum wasn't being actively shared with the entire family (ewww). He made some unhappy noises about 2 am, so DH--get this--took his pillow and lay on the floor next to the crate so HenHen wouldn't feel alone.
Love my guys.
Miss Mabs continues to be preternaturally fuzzy.
You have a gem of a DH. What great furbaby parents you are!