Travel Italia! All things all Italy!

Definitely 2 days in Milan, there's so much more to visit there other than Duomo and Galleria.
Book your ticket for L'ultima Cena by Leonardo, visit Brera, S. Ambrogio then it's time for shopping too!

Reactions: boxermom
Hi guys! I've been reading this forum bit by bit and only up to page 51 so sorry if this question has been answered.

1. My husband and I will be heading to Florence for five nights and Rome for six nights in September. So far we've booked a Vespa tour in Florence and food tour in Rome. We will be doing the usual touristy/sightseeing of course. Does anyone have a tour they've done that was memorable and recommend?
Also food wise (I can't wait!) what are your recommendations on good local food??

2. I am planning to buy a Chanel bag in Paris but I'm flying out of Rome. From what I've read I can do the vat refund from Rome is that right? What are your experiences like? I've read someone posted that it can be difficult..

Thank you so much in advance!

1. My husband and I will be heading to Florence for five nights and Rome for six nights in September. So far we've booked a Vespa tour in Florence and food tour in Rome. We will be doing the usual touristy/sightseeing of course. Does anyone have a tour they've done that was memorable and recommend?
Also food wise (I can't wait!) what are your recommendations on good local food??

Almost everything we ate in Italy was just amazing. The flavors are so fresh - your tastebuds just open up, like what have we been eating all this time?! :smile:

Highly highly recommend Taste Florence. https://tasteflorence.com/
We did it last year and found so many places we wouldn't have found otherwise! They also give you a map at the end - I would recommend going in the beginning of your trip in Firenze so you can go to all the places on the map you didn't get to! I can't even remember what kind of pastry they had us try, but it was hands down the best thing I've ever eaten. They also make a stop at Mercato Centrale, which we went to 3x in 5 days because it was that good :smile:

Have so much fun!!

Almost everything we ate in Italy was just amazing. The flavors are so fresh - your tastebuds just open up, like what have we been eating all this time?! :smile:

Highly highly recommend Taste Florence. https://tasteflorence.com/
We did it last year and found so many places we wouldn't have found otherwise! They also give you a map at the end - I would recommend going in the beginning of your trip in Firenze so you can go to all the places on the map you didn't get to! I can't even remember what kind of pastry they had us try, but it was hands down the best thing I've ever eaten. They also make a stop at Mercato Centrale, which we went to 3x in 5 days because it was that good :smile:

Have so much fun!!

Sorry I'm not sure how I missed your reply but thanks! I'm googling the food tour now. The Airbnb that we rented is apparently across the road from mercato centrale so I can't wait!

Hi guys! I've been reading this forum bit by bit and only up to page 51 so sorry if this question has been answered.

2. I am planning to buy a Chanel bag in Paris but I'm flying out of Rome. From what I've read I can do the vat refund from Rome is that right? What are your experiences like? I've read someone posted that it can be difficult..

I think 6 days for Rome is too much imo. Rome is my least favorite place I have ever visited. It's a tourist trap. Florence is my favorite in Italy. So beautiful.

I've found the food throughout Italy to be horrible, However Florence had good food.
There is a wonderful deli where you can get a meat sampler I tell everyone to go here. The place is called Alimentary Uffizi. The owner has been there for years and has great stories.
Also a restaurant for dinner called Buca Mario had excellent truffle pasta.

Definitely go to the museum to see the statue of David. He is very impressive. There is a replica of David outside on the streets but that one is not as good as the real thing.

I think 6 days for Rome is too much imo. Rome is my least favorite place I have ever visited. It's a tourist trap. Florence is my favorite in Italy. So beautiful.

I've found the food throughout Italy to be horrible, However Florence had good food.
There is a wonderful deli where you can get a meat sampler I tell everyone to go here. The place is called Alimentary Uffizi. The owner has been there for years and has great stories.
Also a restaurant for dinner called Buca Mario had excellent truffle pasta.

Definitely go to the museum to see the statue of David. He is very impressive. There is a replica of David outside on the streets but that one is not as good as the real thing.

Thanks! I'm a slow traveller and it's our last stop before flying home hence the six days:smile:

Thanks! I'm a slow traveller and it's our last stop before flying home hence the six days:smile:

I've been to both Rome and Florence and they are both incredible, albeit in different ways! Six days is a nice amount of time to spend in Rome. Honestly, you could live in Rome for a decade and not run out of amazing things to see or do. I was there a week and felt I barely scratched the surface. I was in Florence for a week as well and would have loved to have stayed longer. Your trip will be extraordinary!

I've been to both Rome and Florence and they are both incredible, albeit in different ways! Six days is a nice amount of time to spend in Rome. Honestly, you could live in Rome for a decade and not run out of amazing things to see or do. I was there a week and felt I barely scratched the surface. I was in Florence for a week as well and would have loved to have stayed longer. Your trip will be extraordinary!

I was just thinking I need more time! But accumulating annual leave for five weeks is hard as it is. We are flying out next week I can hardly wait!

@yellow_tulip
To be honest, I think that 5 nights in Florence could be a bit too much, while 6 nights in Rome are fine.
That said, if you find that you've seen it all in Florence you can visit another city in Tuscany, my favourite are Siena, San Gimignano, Monteriggioni (smallest town I've ever visited, so it could be paired with Siena).
Rome has lot of things to see, make a plan of things you'd like to visit and buy tickets in advance if possible.
If I recall well, Musei Vaticani can be visited also by night on a certain day, but not all rooms will be open.

@yellow_tulip
To be honest, I think that 5 nights in Florence could be a bit too much, while 6 nights in Rome are fine.
That said, if you find that you've seen it all in Florence you can visit another city in Tuscany, my favourite are Siena, San Gimignano, Monteriggioni (smallest town I've ever visited, so it could be paired with Siena).
Rome has lot of things to see, make a plan of things you'd like to visit and buy tickets in advance if possible.
If I recall well, Musei Vaticani can be visited also by night on a certain day, but not all rooms will be open.

Hi thanks for ur suggestions. We are planning a day trip out to Siena as I've heard so many good things!

Hi thanks for ur suggestions. We are planning a day trip out to Siena as I've heard so many good things!

Stay overnight in Siena if you can. These towns are packed during the day and really nice at night when the tour buses pull out. The first time we were there, we did a day trip. The second was a 2 night stay and we loved it.

Take the Uffizi and Academia tour. You can then bypass the long lines to get in and get more out of it. In Rome, you might consider booking a private tour of the Vatican. Same about the lines. You bypass them all.

I am the expert on the VAT tax because I got screwed out of it the first two times I went to Europe by making mistakes. I was going to get it back the third time if it killed me.

#1. You HAVE to get an airport stamp on your forms at the LAST COUNTRY YOU ARE IN IN EUROPE. So if you are connecting in Germany (like we did), you get it stamped in Germany. Allow enough time at the airport to get the stamp. The lines can be long. You can't check the items. You must carry them on so they person can glance at them and question you about them if they want to. I saw people carrying flat screen tv's on. I remember when we tried to get our stamp in Germany at the airport, only one place was open and it was far and we were going to miss our flight.

#2) Take a picture of your stamped form on your phone so they can't say they didn't get it. They will try. I had all my forms stamped an they tried to say they didn't get one of the forms. I swore next time I would take pictures.

#3) Go to the kiosks in the towns and get the money as you go. It is much easier than hoping you filled out all the paperwork right and waiting for the money. But if you do anything wrong on the paperwork, they will take the $$ on your credit card plus a percentage. So keep your paperwork organized. You can look up where they are or ask. The shopkeepers act like this is so easy to sell you more stuff. But I am convinced they make it as hard as possible to keep the $$. You need to have your passport with you when you go to get the money back at the kiosks. Get the money in Euros and use it for eating out and stuff. Otherwise, you will get screwed on the conversion to your currency. (Oh, and use your credit card in the stores and pay in Euros). They will also screw you on the conversion to your currency. Make sure you have a credit card that charges no international fees. And call your credit card company ahead to tell them you are traveling.

Reactions: tinybutterfly
Food: Florence - Go to Borgo Antica and get pizza. It's fun to sit outside and people watch.

Rome: L'Angoletto- not far from the Pantheon. Nice area to walk around in the evening. It's kind of $$$ but Rome in general is kind of expensive. This was a short walk from our hotel and we at there 3 nights.

Stay overnight in Siena if you can. These towns are packed during the day and really nice at night when the tour buses pull out. The first time we were there, we did a day trip. The second was a 2 night stay and we loved it.

I am the expert on the VAT tax because I got screwed out of it the first two times I went to Europe by making mistakes. I was going to get it back the third time if it killed me.

#1. You HAVE to get an airport stamp on your forms at the LAST COUNTRY YOU ARE IN IN EUROPE. So if you are connecting in Germany (like we did), you get it stamped in Germany. Allow enough time at the airport to get the stamp. The lines can be long. You can't check the items. You must carry them on so they person can glance at them and question you about them if they want to. I saw people carrying flat screen tv's on. I remember when we tried to get our stamp in Germany at the airport, only one place was open and it was far and we were going to miss our flight.

#2) Take a picture of your stamped form on your phone so they can't say they didn't get it. They will try. I had all my forms stamped an they tried to say they didn't get one of the forms. I swore next time I would take pictures.

#3) Go to the kiosks in the towns and get the money as you go. It is much easier than hoping you filled out all the paperwork right and waiting for the money. But if you do anything wrong on the paperwork, they will take the $$ on your credit card plus a percentage. So keep your paperwork organized. You can look up where they are or ask. The shopkeepers act like this is so easy to sell you more stuff. But I am convinced they make it as hard as possible to keep the $$. You need to have your passport with you when you go to get the money back at the kiosks. Get the money in Euros and use it for eating out and stuff. Otherwise, you will get screwed on the conversion to your currency. (Oh, and use your credit card in the stores and pay in Euros). They will also screw you on the conversion to your currency. Make sure you have a credit card that charges no international fees. And call your credit card company ahead to tell them you are traveling.

Thank you thank you for your detailed reply. Unfortunately our accommodation have all been booked therefore Siena will have to be just a day trip.

Thank you for the restaurant recs (I don't know how to multi quote).

With vat refund collecting in town, does anyone go through the paperwork to ensure everything has been filled out correctly? And from what I've read in regards to collecting in town, I'll have to send in the paperwork and then still go through the kiosk at the airport to show them the goods? But if I've already sent in the paperwork what paperwork will I have to show the officers at the airport? Sorry for all the questions and if the questions seem silly!
Thanks in advance.

Thank you thank you for your detailed reply. Unfortunately our accommodation have all been booked therefore Siena will have to be just a day trip.

Thank you for the restaurant recs (I don't know how to multi quote).

With vat refund collecting in town, does anyone go through the paperwork to ensure everything has been filled out correctly? And from what I've read in regards to collecting in town, I'll have to send in the paperwork and then still go through the kiosk at the airport to show them the goods? But if I've already sent in the paperwork what paperwork will I have to show the officers at the airport? Sorry for all the questions and if the questions seem silly!
Thanks in advance.

Not silly at all! They act like you are an idiot when you ask questions about this in Europe. You have to take the paperwork to the airport and get it stamped and they have a place to mail it in the airport. To add even more confusion, there is more than one company. Most of them use the same company (blue something) and they have a place you can turn in the paperwork at the airport. I am sorry if this sounds confusing. Did you say you were flying out of Rome? Rome was the easiest airport to do everything in. In honestly, the guy didn't even LOOK at our stuff, but I was told you had to bring it to show him in case he wanted to. Then after he gave us all of our stamps, we had to go on the other side of the area and turn in the paperwork. I hope this is helping you. If you are buying anything that is $$, it is just too much to leave it on the table but that's what they count on by making it so complicated.

I googled and found this and maybe this will help too.
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/vat-refunds