Travel Italia! All things all Italy!

Not silly at all! They act like you are an idiot when you ask questions about this in Europe. You have to take the paperwork to the airport and get it stamped and they have a place to mail it in the airport. To add even more confusion, there is more than one company. Most of them use the same company (blue something) and they have a place you can turn in the paperwork at the airport. I am sorry if this sounds confusing. Did you say you were flying out of Rome? Rome was the easiest airport to do everything in. In honestly, the guy didn't even LOOK at our stuff, but I was told you had to bring it to show him in case he wanted to. Then after he gave us all of our stamps, we had to go on the other side of the area and turn in the paperwork. I hope this is helping you. If you are buying anything that is $$, it is just too much to leave it on the table but that's what they count on by making it so complicated.

I googled and found this and maybe this will help too.
https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/vat-refunds

Ah seems like a lot of lining up to do! But since our flight isn't till 10pm we are planning to go to the airport extra early to give ourself plenty of time. Yes we will be flying home from Rome with connecting flights from Abu dabi so I will have to do it from Rome. I am planning to get a Chanel classic flap (So I will definitely be carrying it with me!) from Paris so that is a whopper of a saving! Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions I've already snapshot it on my phone :smile: I love this forum!

Definitely 2 days in Milan, there's so much more to visit there other than Duomo and Galleria.
Book your ticket for L'ultima Cena by Leonardo, visit Brera, S. Ambrogio then it's time for shopping too!
Mary - I tried to google the website to book my tickets for The Last Supper. I only found a phone number - did I miss it?

Reactions: maryg1
Hi guys! I've been reading this forum bit by bit and only up to page 51 so sorry if this question has been answered.

1. My husband and I will be heading to Florence for five nights and Rome for six nights in September. So far we've booked a Vespa tour in Florence and food tour in Rome. We will be doing the usual touristy/sightseeing of course. Does anyone have a tour they've done that was memorable and recommend?
Also food wise (I can't wait!) what are your recommendations on good local food??

2. I am planning to buy a Chanel bag in Paris but I'm flying out of Rome. From what I've read I can do the vat refund from Rome is that right? What are your experiences like? I've read someone posted that it can be difficult..

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi all,
I am now back from my holiday and I thought I would give an update on my experience with the VAT refund process in Rome.
So I bought a Chanel bag in Paris - premier tax free, and a LV bag in Rome - global blue.
I had the items in my hand carry on therefore what I did was go check in as per usual and then proceed to going pass security.
I then went to get the papers stamped at this booth called customs located right next to the premier tax free and global blue booth. Apparently there's no need to get a stamp if the items were bought in Italy but I still showed my papers anyway. After that then I went to the two different booths to get my refund. I asked for a cash refund as I was scared from all the horror stories I've read although I noticed a lot of other tourists asked for credit card refund. The process seemed easy enough once I was there so I hope this will help some of you!

Ps. I am unsure of the process if you were to check in your bought items, but I saw people stamping their papers and checking in their luggage at a different counter at check in!

Hi Everyone! This thread has been amazingly useful already, and I hope now to get some more specific advice. I'm headed to Rome (7 days) and Florence (3 days) in January with the family (DH and 2 teen DSs). Most of the guidebooks are aimed at those visiting NOT in winter, so I've got all sorts of questions.

What should I (we) pack in the way of clothing and shoes? We will be spending a fair bit of time wandering around churches, galleries and experiencing the street life in both cities. I've heard that January is time for big sales. Any suggestions for the best items to look for in terms of bargains, or places to shop? Any other suggestions of things to do/places to go, specifically in mid January?

I'm interested in getting a leather bag or two, and possibly a leather jacket, and would prefer to buy high quality, local, and non-name brand. A few years back in Florence, when I was idly looking at the goods outside and then inside a tiny leather shop, the proprietor decided to educate me, unasked for, on the differences between a lot of the bags being sold on the streets or in the markets and the real Florentian/quality Italian deal. He laughed when I said I wasn't buying, and told me he just wanted me to know how to spot quality in the future! Well, now here is the future, and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for where exactly to look, areas, particular streets, or specific shops, in either place.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I'm in Italy right now, sleeping off a cold, and after doing some back of the envelope calculations, it seems I'll be in Rome (the Monti neighborhood) for the annual winter sale. Are there any boutiques you recommend I visit? I'm also a big fan of vintage and luxury secondhand stores, and according to my friends, Monti is relatively well known for them. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm in Italy right now, sleeping off a cold, and after doing some back of the envelope calculations, it seems I'll be in Rome (the Monti neighborhood) for the annual winter sale. Are there any boutiques you recommend I visit? I'm also a big fan of vintage and luxury secondhand stores, and according to my friends, Monti is relatively well known for them. Thanks!

Just got back from Italy (based myself in Rome but explored elsewhere too!)

I vintage shopped til my heart was content!

I delighted in taking my friend on a ‘vintage crawl’ as she called it. She enjoyed it so much she wrote an article on it - http://socialifestylemag.com/2017/12/pre-loved-shopping-in-lazio-tuscany-italy/

Second Chance would def be a go-to again for me. Picked up a fab piece of Prada costume jewelry for €50 [emoji108].

There was also a pristine Hermes Kelly in Navy Blue for €4,000. There is so much to look at in that store!

There’s also a little unassuming shop about 2-3 blocks west of the Colosseum. It really doesn’t have a name but the adorable older Italian man has clothing hanging outside so you won’t miss it.

Have fun!

Reactions: the_baglover
Just got back from Italy (based myself in Rome but explored elsewhere too!)

I vintage shopped til my heart was content!

I delighted in taking my friend on a ‘vintage crawl’ as she called it. She enjoyed it so much she wrote an article on it - http://socialifestylemag.com/2017/12/pre-loved-shopping-in-lazio-tuscany-italy/

Second Chance would def be a go-to again for me. Picked up a fab piece of Prada costume jewelry for €50 [emoji108].

There was also a pristine Hermes Kelly in Navy Blue for €4,000. There is so much to look at in that store!

There’s also a little unassuming shop about 2-3 blocks west of the Colosseum. It really doesn’t have a name but the adorable older Italian man has clothing hanging outside so you won’t miss it.

Have fun!

The article was nice.. Thanks for posting & glad you enjoyed your trip

Hello Italy Experts!

DH and I are heading to Italy in early October. We are staying in Florence and Siena and then spending time in Umbria (Assisi and Orvieto). Any recommendations for restaurants or shopping or sights not to be missed? I have been to Florence before but the others will be new to me. Thanks!

Hello! I am obsessed with Italy and have vacationed there four times in the last five years. I am hoping to go again this fall or winter, but this time it will be to a region I haven’t experienced before. We want to spend a few days in Venice but then spend the majority of our time exploring the Veneto and the Dolomites. Obviously we’ve found a lot of info about Venice, but not so much about the other areas. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thank you in advance!❤️

Hello Italy Experts!

DH and I are heading to Italy in early October. We are staying in Florence and Siena and then spending time in Umbria (Assisi and Orvieto). Any recommendations for restaurants or shopping or sights not to be missed? I have been to Florence before but the others will be new to me. Thanks!
Enjoy! Siena is my absolute favorite (along with Varenna on Lago di Como.) Go to the Duomo and just bask in its glory. In Florence, definitely head to the south side of the Arno, there are a string of craftsman shops, and they are glorious. My favorite was goldsmith and artist: Alessandro Dari Gioielli, his shop/museum was the highlight of my Firenze stay.

Reactions: HeidiDavis
Hello! I am obsessed with Italy and have vacationed there four times in the last five years. I am hoping to go again this fall or winter, but this time it will be to a region I haven’t experienced before. We want to spend a few days in Venice but then spend the majority of our time exploring the Veneto and the Dolomites. Obviously we’ve found a lot of info about Venice, but not so much about the other areas. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thank you in advance!❤️

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Verona. But tucked between Verona and Venice is a little town called Padova (or Padua). They have the second oldest university in all of Europe. You can tour where Galileo taught for 16 years of his life there, and see the very first anatomy theater. Right outside of Verona is a lake called Lago di Garda, it is beautiful much like Como. You can town hop there and lose away days!

Hope that helps!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Verona. But tucked between Verona and Venice is a little town called Padova (or Padua). They have the second oldest university in all of Europe. You can tour where Galileo taught for 16 years of his life there, and see the very first anatomy theater. Right outside of Verona is a lake called Lago di Garda, it is beautiful much like Como. You can town hop there and lose away days!

Hope that helps!

Agree... also, near Venice and Padova there is a smaller town called Treviso which has nice cobbled streets by the river... and where tiramisu supposedly was invented :smile: You can also visit the restaurant where they invented it and try their original version :P (it’s called Le Beccherie).

And if you would like to get some summer feeling at the beach, you can visit Lido di Jesolo or other coastal towns like Lignano, Bibione, Caorle, Grado...

Reactions: HeidiDavis