Scarves Power Scarves--scarves that could run the meeting all by themselves

@prepster, nothing is too obvious: I have been waiting for the right red scarf but hadn't considered a solid jacquard red. Bold and understated at the same time--that's a pretty good analog to a power tie. The Zeta is a great thought: I actually tried a different cw in the boutique, but the angularity didn't suit me: bendy lines flatter me more, which is another reason I might be having a hard time. Angularity seems to convey more power than swirls, but maybe I need to get over that? I do love the combination of burgundy, black, and gray: maybe I should be looking for a burgundy and gray bold abstract scarf with bendy lines. Not that I'm particular or anything. ; )

PS: What in the world is wrong with me? I reread my wish list here and realized that I have a lovely burgundy BdG dip dye sitting right in my closet that fits all those criteria: the minimal color scheme with burgundy; a classic, not too fussy pattern made more abstract by the dip dye; flatteringly bendy. Exactly what I was looking for, and it turns out I already own it! I am going to give it a test drive with a black outfit today.

Talking about the topic helped me realize that I had unconsciously decided that dip dyes were somehow less formal, which is ridiculous. I wonder what other assumptions I have made that I'm not aware of.

I am laughing so hard at myself right now. This is exactly the kind of help I thought this thread could provide. (I still want that Suite et Poursuite and red Sellier jacquard and Zebra Pegasus maxi twilly, though. Might have to break down and get at least one.)

In case somebody else is interested in this topic in the future, I've put together a few posts featuring a scarf that gets described as a power scarf (sometimes by its owner, sometimes by others). It's extremely useful to see what they have in common and what differs from person to person.

There seem to be two predominant categories: 1) geometrics in not too many colors; 2) more traditional patterns in the classic gold, white, black combindation. The Flanerie a Versailles is kind of an outlier (if I have the right cw): is it something about the bright and dark, in a surprising color combination?

If anyone else wanted to add their own personal power scarf (or scarves) to the thread and, if you felt like it, mention what makes it a power scarf for you, I'd be grateful.

Circuit 24 Faubourg, cw 05, Rouge Orange/Noir/Anthracite

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...u-wearing-today.738754/page-209#post-22558114

Peinture Fraiche, cw 07, blanc/encre

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...u-wearing-today.738754/page-297#post-22999054

Astrologie Nouvelle, black, white, gold, bronze

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/tangotoscas-scarf-circus.647034/page-64#post-22411853

Flanerie a Versailles, I'm guessing cw 15 (ardoise/rouge/jaune), since the picture isn't displaying for me--I hope @papertiger will correct me if I am wrong:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/the-fall-2016-scarves.939230/page-238#post-30630279

Les Cles in black, white, and gold

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...u-wearing-today.649893/page-416#post-20592854

Princess Daimyo, black, white, gold, red

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...ou-wearing-today.958067/page-21#post-30964359

Not sure which one this is:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...u-wearing-today.738754/page-556#post-24030489

I swear there's a Legendes de l'Arbre Coloriage somewhere that someone describes as a power scarf, but I can't find it now.

Thank you for indulging me!

Hope this works for you:

Ver.jpg

This topic is really fascinating. I wonder, maybe most scarfs could be power scarfs, if they fit the skin tone and are presented with the right way. This does not include obvious no no patterns, like big flowers, teddy bears etc. Or what do you think?
I was looking at two pics of me wearing cirque molier, which is really humoristic, full of little people and animals, so it should not fit the power scarf category at all.Or do You belive, the colors have to be more neutral and dark?
It would be nice to see other pics and maybe better examples.
First, at home and then at work

You look terrific!

This topic is really fascinating. I wonder, maybe most scarfs could be power scarfs, if they fit the skin tone and are presented with the right way. This does not include obvious no no patterns, like big flowers, teddy bears etc. Or what do you think?
I was looking at two pics of me wearing cirque molier, which is really humoristic, full of little people and animals, so it should not fit the power scarf category at all.Or do You belive, the colors have to be more neutral and dark?
I think the second picture with scarf tucked inside your collar looks much more powerful than the first way of tying it.

That second knot is dynamite--definitely a power knot, as bobkat observes. Can you explain what you did or point me somewhere? Does it have a name?

I really appreciate your posting the same scarf in both arrangements. A great example of the difference the knot makes. And I see what you mean about the whimsical pattern becoming more serious when you know what to do with it (that's a perfect great crisp white collared shirt, btw).

I was going to nominate Hello, Dolly as another no-no pattern like the teddy bears, but then I found a writer wearing hers to report on the end of the Gulf War:

http://robinchapmannews.blogspot.com/2012/02/sad-news-about-scarves-at-neimans.html

There's no doubt she looks nice, but I don't think it's a choice I would have made.

Personally, I think she would have looked much more powerful in your Space Shopping. : )

Reactions: prepster and ninakt
Hope this works for you:

View attachment 3775890
Thank you thank you thank you -- I was so hoping you would stop by and help out. I did get the cw right, and I'm so glad: I find that scarf hypnotic. I think it's the acid yellow with that evening sky color: I can't look away.

I hope you are enjoying it as much as when you first posted. When you wrote, "This is a serious scarf. I put it on and I feel serious," I thought, "Yes, I want to identify scarves that make me feel that way, and scarves that make others feel that way."

Couldn't agree more!
Personally, I would avoid anything too girlie, like pastel colours, baby pink or baby blue. I normally choose bolder colours like navy or red. Pattern wise not too busy or overwhelming. More importantly, have fun with it! Dress for others but also for yourself. Wear everything with confidence!
Agreed--for myself and my personal style, anyway. Pastels are never going to give me mental oomph. (I am suspicious this season's Horsawards will come only in pastels and grays, which just aren't my strong suit in general. Drat. I wanted that one.) I want to be a little more daring with bold colors. Black is my go-to power color, but it is safe. Hearing how other people navigate color, finding the right balance of attention-getting without tipping over into distracting, is fascinating.

I have an extensive scarf collection, and many of my business colleagues and friends know how much I enjoy wearing my silks daily in a creative profession. If I am attending a serious meeting presenting to executives, I do not generally wear silks. My philosophy is less is more in those cases. I dress appropriate to my clients company culture. In many cases they are public agencies, so low key is the norm.

It is a statement to wear distracting colors, patterns, jewelry, and bags, and for me it makes me feel almost too prim, especially if the culture is conservative. In regular studio environments I can wear whatever pleases and is comfortable. So it is striking a balance on what my instincts guide me to do, and I am blessed to be able to enjoy my colorful silks 95% of the time. Each of us has a different personal style and what is deemed as Power Dressing is simply a confident and discerning attitude of your own self image.
I am so very happy to hear that you get to wear your silks so much of the time. Your collection is exquisite, and it, like @frou frou's, @papertiger's, and others, is uplifting and inspiring. What is instinctive to you is instructional for many of us, and I appreciate your generosity in sharing what choices you make and your reasoning.

Although I am afraid you and @BBC are the reason I have banned myself from the Parures des Samourais thread. Your cw 03 and her cw 08 will never, ever work on me, I know it from past mistakes, but your pictures in particular make me want them so very, very badly. That thread is deadly.

PS: I have a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT for anybody following my exchange with @frou frou about neodymium magnets. I swear by them--could not live without them--and yet, they have a drawback. Those babies are STRONG. More than once I have found myself suddenly attached to my car door, my umbrella, or to a metal doorframe. (Fortunately I was talking to a friendly colleague, who didn't even notice until I pointed it out, and we had a good laugh.) So: if you are wearing magnets on meeting day, keep an eye on how close you get to metal objects. Getting stuck to the doorframe probably isn't the best way to convey authority.

Last edited:
I bought a few things that looked great on maitai, who looks nothing like me at all. : /
Yes, she wears her items so beautifully.

I tried to learn by looking at mod shots and seeing what worked and what didn't. My biggest lesson was that scarves that I think are beautiful flat pieces of art did not equal to scarves that suited my clothing style or environment. So I had to dig really deep to find the few that work on both counts. I'm still working on figuring it out.

I agree the Zebra Pegasus maxi twilly would have that sharp edgy look that would work with a power suit.

Ninakt, I love that scarf and how you've worn it, especially with the white blouse.

So, this is in no way a power outfit, but two ways of tying give very different effects. I prefer to tame my scarves into submission rather than have them floof about my upper body so I prefer the one with smaller/neater tails.IMG_5069.JPG IMG_5071.JPG

Thank you thank you thank you -- I was so hoping you would stop by and help out. I did get the cw right, and I'm so glad: I find that scarf hypnotic. I think it's the acid yellow with that evening sky color: I can't look away.

I hope you are enjoying it as much as when you first posted. When you wrote, "This is a serious scarf. I put it on and I feel serious," I thought, "Yes, I want to identify scarves that make me feel that way, and scarves that make others feel that way."

Glad I could help. I think the geometric and regal qualities of this scarf keep the qualities sharp and stately. Strong, sharper contrasts in design and/or colour tend to look great with other more formal business-appropriate clothing. I'm fancying Brandenburg Tattoo (AW17) for just this purpose.

Strangely, I have felt empowered by my pastel (pink) and romantic Chants du Henne, perhaps because of its lady-like qualities, which forces me to think and act more 'grown-up' which in turn demands respect. Any scarf that gives the wearer confidence is great for business/professional appearances IMO.

That second knot is dynamite--definitely a power knot, as bobkat observes. Can you explain what you did or point me somewhere? Does it have a name?

I really appreciate your posting the same scarf in both arrangements. A great example of the difference the knot makes. And I see what you mean about the whimsical pattern becoming more serious when you know what to do with it (that's a perfect great crisp white collared shirt, btw).

I was going to nominate Hello, Dolly as another no-no pattern like the teddy bears, but then I found a writer wearing hers to report on the end of the Gulf War:

http://robinchapmannews.blogspot.com/2012/02/sad-news-about-scarves-at-neimans.html

There's no doubt she looks nice, but I don't think it's a choice I would have made.

Personally, I think she would have looked much more powerful in your Space Shopping. : )
Belphoebe, the knot is a no name knot, just done like a mens tie. The shirt is a Hugo Boss black line, really good quality and easy to machine wash gently, no ironing needed. I thanky you and everyone for complimets and likes. And keep following this intresting thread.

Yes, she wears her items so beautifully.

I tried to learn by looking at mod shots and seeing what worked and what didn't. My biggest lesson was that scarves that I think are beautiful flat pieces of art did not equal to scarves that suited my clothing style or environment. So I had to dig really deep to find the few that work on both counts. I'm still working on figuring it out.

I agree the Zebra Pegasus maxi twilly would have that sharp edgy look that would work with a power suit.

Ninakt, I love that scarf and how you've worn it, especially with the white blouse.

So, this is in no way a power outfit, but two ways of tying give very different effects. I prefer to tame my scarves into submission rather than have them floof about my upper body so I prefer the one with smaller/neater tails.View attachment 3777009 View attachment 3777010
I also prefer smaller or no tail, when the scarf has to be more powerful. It has to avoid too feminine look, more of a men's tie is better. Love Your scarf btw, keep them coming

So, this is in no way a power outfit, but two ways of tying give very different effects. I prefer to tame my scarves into submission rather than have them floof about my upper body so I prefer the one with smaller/neater tails.View attachment 3777009 View attachment 3777010

@Belphoebe , you mentioned doing well with "bendy" geometrical patterns, and also that you're looking for bold colors. What about Sangles en Zigzag, in this colorway?

http://usa.hermes.com/la-maison-des-carres/sangles-en-zigzag-90-scarf-114797.html

It would definitely pop against a black dress or suit, and there isn't an overpowering border to distract from the design.

@Genie27, that Iris is to die for, (is it cw 13?) and I am just realizing that it fits my personal power criteria of bold colors, minimal color scheme, bendy lines. And while flowers aren't generally a power animal for me, these are so large and abstract that I think they could work. @ElainePG, you clearly understand my problems. The smaller border on the Sangles is better for me, but the Iris isn't as busy. So I ask you both (and anybody else reading):

Which reads more like a power scarf to you personally--Iris or Sangles? You can be honest. I've been looking for an excuse to buy an Iris, but I don't want to delude myself. I am drawn to cw 03 (white, charcoal, gold) and cw 07 (if it is in fact more red than the pink-looking image on h.com, which I think TPFers say it is, though maybe that's the mousseline?).

http://usa.hermes.com/la-maison-des...iel-scarf-114920.html?xtmc=iris&xtnp=1&xtcr=1

http://usa.hermes.com/la-maison-des...iel-scarf-114924.html?xtmc=iris&xtnp=1&xtcr=2

Belphoebe, the knot is a no name knot, just done like a mens tie. The shirt is a Hugo Boss black line, really good quality and easy to machine wash gently, no ironing needed. I thanky you and everyone for complimets and likes. And keep following this intresting thread.

I think I need that shirt. Is it this one?

http://www.hugoboss.com/us/bashina-cotton-blend-blouse/hbna50290338_100.html?cgid=11002#wrapper

I'll practice the no-name tie in the meantime.

Reactions: prepster
Sangles - interestingly enough, that was my first choice - even though I didn't care for the flat, it had a really nice energy when tied. I had almost 100% decided on the aqua and yellow version. Then my eye fell on the bleu paon + red corner of the Iris and I was done for. Yes, it's CW 13

And the iris moussies are stunning. The zebra Pegasus is also a beautiful strong modern looking moussie.

Glad I could help. I think the geometric and regal qualities of this scarf keep the qualities sharp and stately. Strong, sharper contrasts in design and/or colour tend to look great with other more formal business-appropriate clothing. I'm fancying Brandenburg Tattoo (AW17) for just this purpose.

Strangely, I have felt empowered by my pastel (pink) and romantic Chants du Henne, perhaps because of its lady-like qualities, which forces me to think and act more 'grown-up' which in turn demands respect. Any scarf that gives the wearer confidence is great for business/professional appearances IMO.
!!!! I am having another EUREKA moment, like my revelation above about the BdG dip dye I already own. Pastels will never like me, even in an Easter parade, but now that you have invoked the power of Lady-like, you've helped me see another unconscious assumption I had.

The scarf I love and wear most and want to be buried in and would be the first I would save if my closet were on fire is my black L'Art d'Ecrire with taupe lettering. But I don't wear it to run a meeting, in part because I wear it so much already, but in part because I think I was assuming that, on me, the delicate scrolls conveyed . . . delicacy.

Christine Lagarde sort of overwhelms any perceived delicacy in her scarves. It's like their delicacy highlights how delicate she is not. That's not in my tool set, and that's fine. But when I think of them not as delicate but as ladylike--the right kind of ladylike, the kind that is mature, self-possessed, and commands respect, as you pointed out--I can channel my inner Yu Shu Lien:

http://media.rtl.fr/online/image/20...-netflix-sera-la-suite-de-tigre-et-dragon.jpg

Does it get more bad-a** than Michele Yeoh in that movie? I don't think so. And on her, delicate flowers and scrolly designs are more organic, as if they just grew there and she never even noticed, she was too busy being competent and imperial, flying and having swordfights and things.

Ladylike may be what my brain needed to claim my beloved L'Art d'Ecrire as a power scarf. This is so exciting, you have no idea.