The JADE thread!

image.jpg image.jpg What do you all make of this bangle? Seller says it is nephrite jade, 48g and around 60mm inner (weight seems correct). Definitely waxy, with some whitish/crystalline inclusions. Thoughts? Really nephrite, or perhaps bowenite or serpentine? Doesn't seem vitreous enough to be grade B jadeite.
(Seller's photos.)

View attachment 3768524 View attachment 3768525 What do you all make of this bangle? Seller says it is nephrite jade, 48g and around 60mm inner (weight seems correct). Definitely waxy, with some whitish/crystalline inclusions. Thoughts? Really nephrite, or perhaps bowenite or serpentine? Doesn't seem vitreous enough to be grade B jadeite.
(Seller's photos.)

I would not have thought this is nephrite. It looks more like jadeite to me. Whether or not it is treated I never feel comfortable to comment but if you ask my opinion, it isn't very fine grained but looks like jadeite. Are you thinking of getting it?

I would not have thought this is nephrite. It looks more like jadeite to me. Whether or not it is treated I never feel comfortable to comment but if you ask my opinion, it isn't very fine grained but looks like jadeite. Are you thinking of getting it?
Yes, I did buy it, and it's on its way. Hope it's not grade B jadeite, but I wouldn't think it's translucent enough for that (I did recently see some cheap "B" bangles in person that looked like very dry, granular, opaque stone with cloudy gelatin areas-- also a pale green). Looks like there is one dark spot on the inner L in the photo, and I suppose that would have been bleached out if grade B, although it could just be dirt! I think this bangle has a more vintage look than the current bangles out there.

Reactions: 2boys_jademommy
Yes, I did buy it, and it's on its way. Hope it's not grade B jadeite, but I wouldn't think it's translucent enough for that (I did recently see some cheap "B" bangles in person that looked like very dry, granular, opaque stone with cloudy gelatin areas-- also a pale green). Looks like there is one dark spot on the inner L in the photo, and I suppose that would have been bleached out if grade B, although it could just be dirt! I think this bangle has a more vintage look than the current bangles out there.

Would love to see your new bangle when it arrives! Please post pics :smile:

Reactions: cdtracing
View attachment 3768524 View attachment 3768525 What do you all make of this bangle? Seller says it is nephrite jade, 48g and around 60mm inner (weight seems correct). Definitely waxy, with some whitish/crystalline inclusions. Thoughts? Really nephrite, or perhaps bowenite or serpentine? Doesn't seem vitreous enough to be grade B jadeite.
(Seller's photos.)

My 61mm princess is 95g so that seems kind of light? What's the accepted weight range for grade A jadeite?

My 61mm princess is 95g so that seems kind of light? What's the accepted weight range for grade A jadeite?
Hmm, maybe. Not sure of actual measurements. Wouldn't nephrite (if it is) be lighter because of lower density? What thickness is your bangle?

Ok, just checked my ~59mm internal diameter/13mm D shaped grade A bangle's certificate. It weighs 50.87g, so maybe a thinner bangle that's slightly larger in diameter could be 48g. I'll know more when I can hold it in my hand.

Last edited:
A long time since I checked in! Three ice beauties to share!!

One bought for me, one bought for Mom, and one gifted from a dear friend [emoji178]

View attachment 3769032
View attachment 3769033

Hi NYC Princess! I bet the pinkish lavender one is for you:smile: I know you love your lavenders [emoji6] All three are gorgeous and so icy too.
It's great your mom loves Jade. Wish mine did but she has no interest.
Hope you and your family are doing well. Missed you here [emoji4]

IMG_2652.JPG IMG_2653.JPG IMG_2654.JPG IMG_2655.JPG IMG_2659.JPG Felt like a family picture day! My entire (humble) jade collection:
1) Minty, my first love, white and streak of green 2013
2) Legacy, my Big Sur Allan nephrite bangle2014
3) Misty, green and blue bangle gifted from my grandmother 2016
4) Serenity, anniversary present 2017 and
5) jade leaf, gifted from my mom Beijing 2013

Attachments

• IMG_2665.JPG
    IMG_2665.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2666.JPG
    IMG_2666.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
And a few more! Pardon my nails, it's been a rough week for me
Also included in this family portrait is my daughter's pendant that matches my bangle! (Hence Legacy!) waiting for her to get a little older to officially gift it to her.

Attachments

• IMG_2660.JPG
    IMG_2660.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2662.JPG
    IMG_2662.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_2663.JPG
    IMG_2663.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2664.JPG
    IMG_2664.JPG
    183.6 KB · Views: 214
And a few more! Pardon my nails, it's been a rough week for me
Also included in this family portrait is my daughter's pendant that matches my bangle! (Hence Legacy!) waiting for her to get a little older to officially gift it to her.

Wow thank you sharing your gorgeous collection MrsChinadoll! I love all of your pieces especially your Serenity bangle. It looks like you have a soft spot for soft green and white bangles :P Do you have a favourite?
It's great that you have a special pendant to give your daughter someday.