Hermes Cafe Bon Temps~Good Times Cafe

I haven't seen that Dracula movie. I have seen the one with Gary Oldman. How does it compare?

If you enjoy reading, I suggest you read the Vampire Chronicles of Anne Rice. I was so inlove with those books back when I was in high school. The movie adaptation with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt was good. But the Queen of the Damned wasn't that great for me. The books are very interesting and hard to put down.

Oh, and throw in Salem's Lot by Stephen King :smile:
Those Anne Rice books were EVERYTHING in high school!:lol:

Look at what I just finished making...View attachment 3763752

I was thinking of adding pearls to the trim like this...but am not sure if it will be too much or too heavy and distort how it falls.
View attachment 3763754

What do you guys think?

Edit: it's my first fitted piece. I've only ever made shawls and blankets before so I'm quite pleased that it fit well after blocking.

Wow you made that! It's stunning! You are amazing!

Reactions: prepster
The late, great Raul Julia was a great stage Dracula too. And, ahem, well dishy. He could bite me anytime. [emoji4]

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b2/96/cf/b296cfb54661326c5ed116806f39aba6.jpg

The Anne Rice books are mixed. Some are quite excellent, others pretty awful. The first two, Interview with a Vampire, and The Vampire Lestat are both quite good. The latter is excellent. Certainly not literature but well worth a read if you enjoy that genre.

The Interview movie [emoji327] btw, is horribly bad.

ETA: oops. Just saw your comment dharma. Sorry to disagree on the film. [emoji23]

I do think the Oldman film is good however, and I like how it attempts to be somewhat epistolary as Stoker's novel is.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for the compliments - I needed some positive energy this week!

Eagle, it is crochet. I feel a bit in awe as well, because I only learned to crochet about three years ago, from you tube videos, and have been making things almost constantly ever since. Thanks for the tip to store it flat - I was concerned about stretching it out when folded as it is quite chunky. If it goes down to my knees, I won't like it as much.

My mom says I have the gift from her mom who was similarly talented. My other grandmother was a dressmaker but I never learned to wrangle a sewing machine, I was also good at needlepoint but found it a bit tedious and eye-straining to create/finish anything detailed enough to interest me.

It didn't take very long as it was a chunky knit. I started it when I got inspired by @Kareneallen who posted a sweater she had knitted. So about two or three months ago, including two weeks off for vacation and redoing the sleeves a couple of times from scratch as I wanted them to fit well.

Etoupe, I used a free Caron basic cardigan pattern, tweaked the stitch sequence to get the squared look, omitted the ribbing, shortened the sleeve, sized it to fit me etc. I used Aran weight merino (diamond luxury) with a 5mm hook and worked to my own gauge. So nothing like my end product but this is where I started.
http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/adult-crochet-crew-neck-cardigan.html?id=201102
Amazing job, your FO is so much better than the pattern! I can crochet a little, you open my horizon, thank you !

The late, great Raul Julia was a great stage Dracula too. And, ahem, well dishy. He could bite me anytime. [emoji4]

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/b2/96/cf/b296cfb54661326c5ed116806f39aba6.jpg

The Anne Rice books are mixed. Some are quite excellent, others pretty awful. The first two, Interview with a Vampire, and The Vampire Lestat are both quite good. The latter is excellent. Certainly not literature but well worth a read if you enjoy that genre.

ETA: oops. Just saw your comment dharma. Sorry to disagree on the film. [emoji23]

I do think the Oldman film is good however, and I like how it attempts to be somewhat epistolary as Stoker's novel is.

I'm going to be walking around all day now saying "epistolary." :smile:

Reactions: gracekelly
Oh, eagle, Frank Langella in his Dracula days was yummy. I am so envious that you saw him live; the original stage production had sets and costumes by Edward Gorey. It's famous!
I did not know about the production sets being by Edward Gorey, thank you for relaying that, Mindi. I try to watch that particular Dracula movie every time I notice it's on.
Mindi, did you ever see the original Blair Witch Project movie, the one from about a decade ago? I think the location where it was supposedly set is off I-95 going from Baltimore to DC. I used to hike in the woods. Typically I was on day hikes and would finish in the late afternoon. But the woods shown in dim lighting to simulate nightfall are so creepy in that movie! The fact that the woods are just what I remember hiking in -- the density of the forest and so forth -- makes it even creepier. The landscape is the kind I walked on. I am trying to remember to watch the new BW movie, the one made for today's kids with social media access, etc. Don't know if it will be as good.
A Dracula I do watch from time to time is the one with Wynona Ryder in it.
It's not as suspenseful mainly b/c I associate Wynona with "Girl, Interrupted", and her living and shopping in Beverly Hills in a particular store I was in a few times. IYKWIM. Plus the guy in that Dracula version looks kinda quaint in his pseudo-Victorian costume, a kindly old gent.

I haven't seen that Dracula movie. I have seen the one with Gary Oldman. How does it compare?

If you enjoy reading, I suggest you read the Vampire Chronicles of Anne Rice. I was so inlove with those books back when I was in high school. The movie adaptation with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt was good. But the Queen of the Damned wasn't that great for me. The books are very interesting and hard to put down.

Didn't notice your answer until after I responded to Mindi. In that response I wrote about the Gary Oldman version, just couldn't remember who was the lead.
Was it "Interview with the Vampire" that had Tom Cruise & Brad Pitt? I could see Cruise being a vampire but Brad Pitt? Hmmm. He's too 12 Monkeys for me, with nervous, erratic gestures. (Which is to say he was good in that movie).
I've noted your reading recommendations, tabbi, particularly the Salem's Lot. I don't read much fiction now but will after I retire. The thing about fiction is that it's so hard to put down when it's good that I get nothing else done.

The Dracula with Frank Langella is the most realistic and least gimmicky of those I have seen, I truly recommend it. It helps that the Lucy character looks realistic also, like she stepped out of the 19th C.

Raul Julia! Maybe he was in the stage version at the Kennedy Center and not Frank Langella. The name sounds so familiar.
I seem to recall that George Hamilton was a Dracula, too, in an appropriately kitschy way. I'd like to see that Dracula again for sure.
epistolary -- telling a story in letters? Wow, didn't know the meaning of that one.
Good to see you back, Pirula!

hahaha! No disagreement at all! The film was embarassing. Terrible. The books were appealing to my high school self :lol:
My grown up self would rather be bitten by Alexander Skarsgard:heart:

Look at what I just finished making...View attachment 3763752

I was thinking of adding pearls to the trim like this...but am not sure if it will be too much or too heavy and distort how it falls.
View attachment 3763754

What do you guys think?

Edit: it's my first fitted piece. I've only ever made shawls and blankets before so I'm quite pleased that it fit well after blocking.
I love it! I'm a knitter so can appreciate the time you put into this beauty. I actually like the pearls too and don't think it would make it too heavy. It's a substantial yarn so would take the pearls well. What's the name of this pattern? I'm always knitting things for everyone else and would like to try this for myself. You did a great job!!

Reactions: prepster and lulilu