The Handmaid's Tale on HULU

How has she spent time alone with the Commander 34 times (in their home) without his wife knowing? The way she spoke to the Commander was as an equal not as someone subservient. The Commander`s wife is even cautious when speaking with him. I may need to watch this episode again.
I thought she was only met him privately once - the time he summoned her too his office and they ended up playing scrabble and I thought his wife was out for some reason. But I expect she'll be summoned again. Always thought this was some kind of foreplay and that eventually he'd make a sexual move on her.

I thought she was only met him privately once - the time he summoned her too his office and they ended up playing scrabble and I thought his wife was out for some reason. But I expect she'll be summoned again. Always thought this was some kind of foreplay and that eventually he'd make a sexual move on her.

When she met with him in this episode she said she had met him there 34 times. They didn't show all 34 but even one time wouldn't be believable because the Commander's wife is always watching her. No way she would not know.

When she met with him in this episode she said she had met him there 34 times. They didn't show all 34 but even one time wouldn't be believable because the Commander's wife is always watching her. No way she would not know.

I think she said she played him 34 times...not that she's met him 34 times. But yes, at this point, seems like she's met privately more than the 3 or 4 times they've shown.
I'm assuming Serena is asleep, but still knows they're meeting on some level. Her alliance is keeping up appearances and getting a child and making sure the Commander is happy, so it seems logical she'd go along with it to an extent.

It's so crazy how one minute Alexis Bledel can look somewhat her age, but then when she was driving around, she looked like the teenager from Chilton School.

I think she said she played him 34 times...not that she's met him 34 times. But yes, at this point, seems like she's met privately more than the 3 or 4 times they've shown.
It takes quite a while to play a scrabble game. If they play 34 times in 3 or 4 meetings is she spending all night playing? If so where is his wife? My point is she has to know.

In this society, the wife is most likely very aware of what goes on but ignores it. She has a life that's preferable to others, so why would she rock the boat?

Get ya some Offred!!!

I was assuming a little time had passed because Offred said they'd played/visited 34 times, and then when Offsteven (was that her new name) was playing ball with the dog she told her Martha that she couldn't be sick "every month" which implied it wasn't the first time she had said she felt sick on ceremony night. Really good episode I thought. So much happening!

I am guessing these marriages aren't made for love, so Serena likely knows the Commander is meeting with Offred. It's just like how royal marriages used to be back in the day - the man is not expected to only sleep with one woman and the wife ignores it because being married gives her security.

I am rereading the book right now also.
I'm trying to figure out how there would be a 2nd season to the show. Perhaps a prequel, that's all I can figure out.
At the pace the HULU series is moving, it seems it will finish the way the book did.

I am rereading the book right now also.
I'm trying to figure out how there would be a 2nd season to the show. Perhaps a prequel, that's all I can figure out.
At the pace the HULU series is moving, it seems it will finish the way the book did.

I`ve just started reading the book as well.

If anyone has Amazon Prime it`s available there for free.