Tods Joy Tote

I have had my large Joy for over a year and it's been great. The leather on mine is beautiful and malleable but the detachable pockets on each side give the tote structure so it doesn't lose its shape when put down. I also like that the strap drop isn't too long like lots of totes these days. I don't like when a tote hangs down so far on me, especially since I'm petite. I love totes and I'm always on the lookout for a good one so this has been a great buy so far!

Reactions: BUIGOVA
I'm also interested in this tote, hope that the thread isn't hopelessly dead? Especially I'm wondering about the size difference between the medium and the large Joy tote. It's difficult to know for sure, since the size seems to differ depending on which online store one browses. Would like a tote that's not too heavy, and that would fit stuff for overnight flights or going to a conference (I.e. would be strong enough but not too heavy to say carry a binder etc in). Am thinking that the large might be too big, but it's really hard to guess just from pictures with stiff models handholding the bag. Would much prefer "real" people modelling the bag, esp over the shoulder. From this thread so far quality seems excellent, which is important since I'd like a classic that lasts a long time.
Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Reactions: clevercat
I'm also interested in this tote, hope that the thread isn't hopelessly dead? Especially I'm wondering about the size difference between the medium and the large Joy tote. It's difficult to know for sure, since the size seems to differ depending on which online store one browses. Would like a tote that's not too heavy, and that would fit stuff for overnight flights or going to a conference (I.e. would be strong enough but not too heavy to say carry a binder etc in). Am thinking that the large might be too big, but it's really hard to guess just from pictures with stiff models handholding the bag. Would much prefer "real" people modelling the bag, esp over the shoulder. From this thread so far quality seems excellent, which is important since I'd like a classic that lasts a long time.
Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Me too - I love the design and the fact all the feedback says these are very high quality. I aim to get myself into Tods over the next week or so and will report back :biggrin:

Reactions: BagMadness
Hi BagMadness, I saw the Large Joy bag in Violet at the store in Geneva, Switzerland and loved it. I liked the roominess and the luxury of the interior. From what I remember, it has two inside detachable compartments for your valuables and practical enough to walk out to the store per say with a smaller leather purse in hand if needed and not need to carry the tote itself. I liked how the clasp has a magnet that makes closing easier. I also loved how the leather is crafted in a way that it gravitates to closing the gap on the top giving more privacy to your stuff. Overall I could not stop thinking about it for days. I did not buy it because I am saving up for an orthodontic treatment that is costing me an arm and a leg. I also have two LV Neverfull GM. Though if I did not have the dentist thing going I would have jumped in a heartbeat. The quality and style is far superior than a LV Neverfull MM. Good luck deciding and if you get it please do a reveal. Cheers,

Last edited:
Hi BagMadness, I saw the Large Joy bag in Violet at the store in Geneva, Switzerland and loved it. I liked the roominess and the luxury of the interior. From what I remember, it has two inside detachable compartments for your valuables and practical enough to walk out to the store per say with a smaller leather purse in hand if needed and not need to carry the tote itself. I liked how the clasp has a magnet that makes closing easier. I also loved how the leather is crafted in a way that it gravitates to closing the gap on the top giving more privacy to your stuff. Overall I could not stop thinking about it for days. I did not buy it because I am saving up for an orthodontic treatment that is costing me an arm and a leg. I also have two LV Neverfull GM. Though if I did not have the dentist thing going I would have jumped in a heartbeat. The quality and style is far superior than a LV Neverfull MM. Good luck deciding and if you get it please do a reveal. Cheers,
I love tPF, you are all such wonderful people! Thank you for your descriptive reply. I've been wavering between different totes (e.g. Neverfull, Saint Laurent shopping tote, Burberry tote and the Joy tote). Your post def has me leaning towards the Tod's, I'll hopefully get to a location within the next month too try it for real. Will absolutely do a reveal if I get it. And good luck with your dentist thing (it's strange how inexplicably expensive they tend to be)!

Reactions: BUIGOVA
I finally had the opportunity to visit a Tod's store and try the Joy tote. Unfortunately, I was slightly underwhelmed. As mentioned before, quality was top notch, but the bag was just to unstructured for me. While it would look great as long as it is rather packed, I want to be able to to carry much less and still have it retain a more structured shape. Alas, not for me. Customer service was of course excellent, a very pleasant experience.
I ended up, much to my surprise, with a Tessie tote from Mulberry instead. My first Mulberry, I hope it will hold up quality wise, but it seems well done with good leather and stitching. And it just felt right on my shoulder, which was my tipping point ☺️.