Spring Summer 2017

This business model is the new model for handbags as well. Does anyone else feel the hype?

What I heard is LV wants hype and exclusivity with some of their products. During a conversation with some managers, I was told LV makes limited bags, which usually sell out in pre-order at the fashion shows, but they still listed on their website with the caveat "call for availability". They also do limited bags available to the public, bags only available in specific countries (though available to view online in all countries) and bags with staggered releases (not one release date) and staggered color releases. So what we hear as a certain release date might be Europe only and the US or Canada release date is two weeks later.

LV has also decided to individualize boutiques (just like Chanel). Not every boutique will have all the colors and the new styles. Our Nordstrom boutiques will be carrying bright colors and our free-standing boutique will be carrying black and more earthy tones. Any boutique can try to get any bag in as a request, but be prepared, your choice may not be (readily) available.

I don't like this business model. It's frustrating. I wish they wouldn't create for specific countries (especially Japan and China only). Everyone else might like the style. I wish they would pull items from the website that are sold-out and not in production, instead of leaving them up and creating customer false hope.
You can probably tell I've called customer service a few times.:crybaby:

I guess LV likes the hype it creates. It's so popular!
I absolutely hate that the website lists items that they are out of stock of. At least if it's something that is still being made I can see them keeping it up with a "will be back in stock on xx/xx/xx". But to list something that sells out ASAP and keep it up months later it's like they are taunting you with something that you will never have.

This business model is the new model for handbags as well. Does anyone else feel the hype?

What I heard is LV wants hype and exclusivity with some of their products. During a conversation with some managers, I was told LV makes limited bags, which usually sell out in pre-order at the fashion shows, but they still listed on their website with the caveat "call for availability". They also do limited bags available to the public, bags only available in specific countries (though available to view online in all countries) and bags with staggered releases (not one release date) and staggered color releases. So what we hear as a certain release date might be Europe only and the US or Canada release date is two weeks later.

LV has also decided to individualize boutiques (just like Chanel). Not every boutique will have all the colors and the new styles. Our Nordstrom boutiques will be carrying bright colors and our free-standing boutique will be carrying black and more earthy tones. Any boutique can try to get any bag in as a request, but be prepared, your choice may not be (readily) available.

I don't like this business model. It's frustrating. I wish they wouldn't create for specific countries (especially Japan and China only). Everyone else might like the style. I wish they would pull items from the website that are sold-out and not in production, instead of leaving them up and creating customer false hope.
You can probably tell I've called customer service a few times.:crybaby:

I guess LV likes the hype it creates. It's so popular!

I heard the exact same things. As a matter of fact, I just got a new bag that apparently Saks "did not get" but they were willing to "transfer it in to their system." They made me pay ahead of time even though it's a new bag that I bought sight unseen, and were like, "this is a final transfer." Whatever that means! Their return policy has not changed and if I didn't like the bag, it was going to go right back. I honestly don't care who has to transfer what. I am a customer, not some logistics company! I was really put off by this attitude change and my SA explained that they are made to say this now.... Ridiculous. I felt like I was asking for some amazing special thing when it was another canvas bag. :rolleyes:

Thankfully I love it. Here she is...

Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 10.06.57 PM.png

This is how every luxury boutique operates, not just at Louis Vuitton. Each location has its own kind of clienteles, not every one of them is the same. The job of a manager/buyer is to determine what's the local clientele will like, and make a product offering for the each of the store based on that.

Also, smaller stores physically don't have the capacity to stock every single items. That requires a great deal of physical space back of house, and why waste space and money stocking items that won't sell well in the region?

I understand what you've written about buying for a certain market. I've worked in retail. I guess I'm used to
I heard the exact same things. As a matter of fact, I just got a new bag that apparently Saks "did not get" but they were willing to "transfer it in to their system." They made me pay ahead of time even though it's a new bag that I bought sight unseen, and were like, "this is a final transfer." Whatever that means! Their return policy has not changed and if I didn't like the bag, it was going to go right back. I honestly don't care who has to transfer what. I am a customer, not some logistics company! I was really put off by this attitude change and my SA explained that they are made to say this now.... Ridiculous. I felt like I was asking for some amazing special thing when it was another canvas bag. :rolleyes:

View attachment 3580931

What a beautiful bag!

I've heard about the "final transfer" comment made to customers. It's my understanding transfers between boutiques is now at a manager's discretion, without the purchasing of the bag in advance (especially if it's a new and popular style). I think the comment means, if you don't buy the bag you have transferred in, they will not transfer the same style bag again. Stock transfers cost the company money, yet refunds via credit cards on expensive bags cost them more (because of the fee). I used to work as a regional sales rep for AMEX- returns can get costly.

Next thing you know, they'll charge for transfers and that cost will be credited to your bill, if you decide to purchase. I know of a few smaller chain boutiques that do that. I would find it a little unfair, if they don't have one display bag to view/touch/try-on, and you have to base your purchase on one photo online that doesn't show the interior.

I guess it's working for LV. In my area, they've lost a few customers to Gucci, but we all know those customers will be back.:graucho:

Reactions: Born4thjuly

View attachment 3580931
"Final transfer" has nothing to do with the return policy. It means that your store will not request another transfer of the same bag for you. Stores are ranked from flagships to department store boutiques, which only get a fraction of the collection (they get the most widely distributed items). Flagships are often reticent to part with hard-to-find bags because they want to satisfy their customers first.

I agree 100%! I love street wear too and I am so excited for this collection. I think it will sell out fast once it's released. I definitely want to get an SLG at least! :loveeyes:

I have never been able to pull off a "street wear" look. This Supreme line is not my jam, but I am dying to see pics of it "in-action" from some of TPF members and not just magazines! When you stylish ladies get your pieces, please share pics so we can see how Supremely cool you look![emoji41]