Hermès Exchange and Return Policy

I'm a little confused and maybe my fellow tpfers can clear something up. I bought and returned a non quota bag within 24 hours of purchase. I received a store credit. When I went to purchase another bag several months later I was told that I could not use my credit towards a birkin, kelly or constance. Is this true with all boutiques?
Yes, it is a Hermes policy. It's not in the fine print but it's in the Store Director's mouth when he/she tells you. Also, you can't "exchange" a non-B/K bag that is within the return period deadline in order to purchase a B or K. Not allowed. They want you to buy things to develop a relationship in hopes of being offered the B/K... so they won't let you turn around and return everything...get offered a b/k and use that credit. Otherwise, everyone would do it hahahahaha

Last edited:
Yes, it is a Hermes policy. It's not in the fine print but it's in the Store Director's mouth when he/she tells you. Also, you can't "exchange" a non-B/K bag that is within the return period deadline in order to purchase a B or K. Not allowed. They want you to buy things to develop a relationship in hopes of being offered the B/K... so they won't let you turn around and return everything...get offered a b/k and use that credit. Otherwise, everyone would do it hahahahaha

I see your point and I agree that this is true. However, earlier this year I returned a non quota bag and had credit for several weeks before applying it toward a B. Perhaps it is dependent on the time between the return and the B/K/C purchase?

I understand what you are saying IF. But what happened was I bought a b, gp, 9 bracelets and assorted slg/s. When I bought the bag I returned we are talking upward of 8,ooo. i returned the bag within 24 hours....I bought several things after and told the sa that i didn't want to use my credit as i wanted to keep it for a birkin or kelly. When i returned the bag she said not to worry as fall was coming and I would have the new colors to choose from. She also told me I would be the first to know when a b or k came in. It never was said to me that i could not use the credit for a b, k or c. until today........four months later...and many purchases later......this just doesn't sit well with me.

Are you sure this is legal when it's comes to the credit? I understand this question not as a question about policy about what a person are offered to buy, but as a question of payment method/credit. If a company offers you a deal (like buying a b/k) and you happen to have a credit with them there could be no legal ground for saying no to pay buy that credit, right?

Reactions: marbella8
I'm not a lawyer and I don't work for Hermes. I'm not saying it's right either. Hermes changes/invokes all sorts of odd policies as I'm sure u are all aware of. Many times VIP clients can do things that others can't. I am stating what I know to be a policy and I know people who have been subjected to that policy. That's it.

Reactions: obsessedwhermes
I understand what you are saying IF. But what happened was I bought a b, gp, 9 bracelets and assorted slg/s. When I bought the bag I returned we are talking upward of 8,ooo. i returned the bag within 24 hours....I bought several things after and told the sa that i didn't want to use my credit as i wanted to keep it for a birkin or kelly. When i returned the bag she said not to worry as fall was coming and I would have the new colors to choose from. She also told me I would be the first to know when a b or k came in. It never was said to me that i could not use the credit for a b, k or c. until today........four months later...and many purchases later......this just doesn't sit well with me.
Darling, at the end of the day, did the Store Director let you use the credit on a B/K? There is the answer. You are not alone. I have heard of this happening to others I know personally and others on the forum.
That is the standing policy. I don't understand why you would keep a credit if you are buying more things but that is your right. Giving you conflicting information is not right either but many times SAs don't know about these non-written policies until faced with dealing with one. I find that we know more as members of TPF than they do. I really don't understand a lot of things Hermes does to the customers. Some SM are much more customer friendly than others. Some SAs know a lot and some know shockingly little...

I have been subjected to horrifying things by a SM that no longer works for Hermes. If you are willing to challenge the SM, maybe you will win. They know they hold the cards because you are afraid to ruin your relationship. Been there. It's terrible. I challenged, I won, I no longer shop at that boutique.... even after he was removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: bagidiotic
Thanks for everyone's responses. I think what i was most peeved about was that the sm and the sa knew why I was holding the credit and no one said anything to me. I held the credit because this store, being small and a franchise, doesn't get alot of inventory, and I was waiting for something substantial to spend the credit on. I would have gladly added to it. But when I saw a bag, on the shelf, for anyone to purchase and i could not use my credit I was speechless. In the end it really is the stores loss as my warm and fuzzy feeling is now poof!

Are you sure this is legal when it's comes to the credit? I understand this question not as a question about policy about what a person are offered to buy, but as a question of payment method/credit. If a company offers you a deal (like buying a b/k) and you happen to have a credit with them there could be no legal ground for saying no to pay buy that credit, right?

You are correct, it is not legally correct. What is written on the store credit is what is relevant (and besides like I mentioned earlier store credit that is your money, can be applied to any purchase). What the SM or SA verbally say at a later time is completely irrelevant. But, as IF said, it depends on whether you (or OP rather) want to challenge the SM.

Personally, I could care less if I lose a relationship at H, bc I find these games and lies unacceptable, but others love shopping at their store and I can see why they would not want to challenge. To each their own :smile:.

Good luck OP, you are totally correct to want to use your credit toward a quota bag.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't work for Hermes. I'm not saying it's right either. Hermes changes/invokes all sorts of odd policies as I'm sure u are all aware of. Many times VIP clients can do things that others can't. I am stating what I know to be a policy and I know people who have been subjected to that policy. That's it.

Ok.

You are correct, it is not legally correct. What is written on the store credit is what is relevant (and besides like I mentioned earlier store credit that is your money, can be applied to any purchase). What the SM or SA verbally say at a later time is completely irrelevant. But, as IF said, it depends on whether you (or OP rather) want to challenge the SM.

Personally, I could care less if I lose a relationship at H, bc I find these games and lies unacceptable, but others love shopping at their store and I can see why they would not want to challenge. To each their own :smile:.

Good luck OP, you are totally correct to want to use your credit toward a quota bag.

+ 1. OP; i really think you should insist on using your credit, if that's how you planned it.

Reactions: marbella8