Have you ever paid duty when buying Louis Vuitton from Japan?

I bought a vintage Noe from iwatchjapan for $300 and didn't have to pay anything extra. I sent it to my boyfriend's house in San Francisco, since in Norway (where I live) I'd have to pay 25% of the price in taxes.

i just received my monogram keepall 50 from elady today. i live in vancouver and i had to pay $223 at the door. i used a duty calculator prior to purchasing so i was already expecting to pay around $200. it would of been nice if it didn't get taxed but overall it was a pleasant experience. i ordered saturday night and received it thursday so shipping was very fast.

http://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator
here's the calculator for anyone who's interested.
Thanks for the link. I also live in Vancouver and am about to order an item from elady. Now I know what to expect upon delivery :smile:

i live in canada and have purchased from japanese sellers on ebay a few times.
i believe the canadian duties policy is if its under 200 CAD then there are no additional charges, anything above there will be fees.

i just received a pre-loved speedy 25 that i spent about 230 CAD and was charged 51$ in duty fees.

I find that CanadaPost is very diligent in charging taxes and duties on items declared above the exempted amount of $20 cad, which basically means EVERYTHING is subject to taxes/duties. If you didn't get charged, consider yourself lucky, and the customs agent lazy...I mean 'nice'.

The worst is when the item is shipped by DHL, FedEx or UPS because these courier companies tack on another 'brokerage fee' on top of taxes/duties just for filling out or printing a package slip for Customs agents to release the imported goods. To me (as a casual buyer) I find it bs for the amt these companies charge complete cash grab imo.

I've recently purchased from a Japanese seller and purposely had it shipped to my USA mailbox. It was delivered without taxes/duties. There are pros/cons as to why I do this:

PROS:
-I've found for some reason or another there's less chances of my purchases being taxed or having to pay duties when shipped via EMS/USPS
-if taxed, the rate is much lower than the approx 30% if sent to me in CAN via CanadaPost

CONS:
-this is not a foolproof way, it doesn't always means it ends up cheaper as I still have to declare it when bringing the item back home
-When crossing back to CAN, it's really up to the discretion of the boarder agent if they're feeling 'nice' to let me in without taxing me on my declared item

Thank you for this thread! I've been searching for what will be my first LV bag and have found it in a couple Japanese ebay seller's stores as well as some US based sites. I'm not ready to buy it just yet, so I'mnot sure where I'll end up buying it/if i'll have to pay duty fees, but it's good to be prepared!

The UK are very keen on tax duty as well. I've always paid tax on ever purchase I've made from outside the EU, I use duty calculator to work out how much extra it's going to add to the cost of the bag but it can make it expensive.

I live in the US (NY to be exact) and just purchased two Chanel bags around $2k each, one from brandoff (ebay) and one from Malleries. Both arrived days from each other and I didn't have to pay any customs :yahoo:

They listed the bags as being used (brandoff with the exact value; the other with exceptionally lower value) and it didn't go through customs whatsoever. Saved $400! :biggrin:

:biggrin: I don't know how customs can charge any duty on used items no matter what their cost but they do in some cases. In Tennessee thrift store clothing purchases are tax free, I wonder if being charged a duty depends on the state they are imported into??? I have bought a total of 5 items from Japanese sellers and have not paid a duty on any of them so far. 2 more on the way will post if duty is due on those.

I did find this:
"Reminder: U.S. Customs and Border Protection holds the importer - YOU - liable for the payment of duty not the seller.

• Personal vs. Commercial Use: Many import regulations only apply to goods imported for commercial - business or resale - purposes. For instance, most goods imported for personal use are not subject to quota. The one exception to this is made-to-measure suits from Hong Kong, which are subject to quota restrictions regardless of the use they are imported for. On the other hand, import restrictions that are based on health, safety and protecting endangered species apply across the board."

http://forum.purseblog.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I know - the other Japanese sellers were so much better at packing - I have to do a reveal - I look forward to seeing your bag - did you get a LV bucket?

LOL, my first purchase from a Japanese seller was a Alma and it came in what amounted to no packaging, basically just in a plastic pouch the shape of the purse. Arrived in perfect condition much better and faster than when I buy things from other states and are boxed and bubblewrapped ;)

My question was going to be, are the pre-loved speedy bags from Japan authentic? After reading some of the post, I guess i should bellieve that I can proceed to order one of the bags.

I would without hesitation! Today I just received my Hermes agenda from astion-brandvalue01 in 4 days!!!! from order to USA! and it was perfect, looks like it was never used!

Good Luck!

Oh and no duty owed or paid

Last edited:
Canadian here: I've only purchased from Japan once and I bought a preloved MC wallet from Japan for $175 USD so I was over $200CAD and I wasn't charged any taxes. I guess I should assume that I was lucky with the customs officer who inspected my parcel. I'm almost tempted to buy something else to see if I get charged for a higher ticket item. LOL