2014 resolution - shopping from my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a fan of this thread and will be joining in 2014 :smile:

A little background: I used to just owned 5 bags, very content and carried them for years and years and years (1 work bag, 3 different sizes lesportsac for weekends and travels, 1 evening clutch) until I got bitten bad by designers bags bugs in 2012. Now I am too scared to count how many bags sitting in my closet! I think I must have around 40 or more bags+wallets! I bought quite a number of them from boutiques, but most of them were from ebay on impulse during auction (then got them authenticated) as I couldn't resist a good deal. Not proud at all! Although I am very very content in what I have now (too many LV, 3 preloved vintage Chanel including my HG the classic flap in super condition, a few Tsumori Chisato, 1 Burberry, a few Coach, no names and my good old trusty lesportsac which I still use when appropriate lol) I do feel that I need to trim down my collection.

So my goal and resolution for 2014 is to:

1. Catalog my bags, gift/sell/donate the ones that are no longer suitable; which can be hard as I am never good at throwing things out! But I will try my very best

2. Stay away from eBay unless selling my bags

3. Shop from my own collection and try not to purchase any more bags. I hope I can achieve this as I already feel a little sick in the stomach seeing my bags piling up in the closet.

Thanks for letting me share and good luck to everyone here with your resolution! :smile:

Last edited:
Nice haul! I love the blue tote.
Tnx, the blue has been very much a fave of mine this year

I have been a fan of this thread and will be joining in 2014 :smile:

A little background: I used to just owned 5 bags, very content and carried them for years and years and years (1 work bag, 3 different sizes lesportsac for weekends and travels, 1 evening clutch) until I got bitten bad by designers bags bugs in 2012. Now I am too scared to count how many bags sitting in my closet! I think I must have around 40 or more bags+wallets! I bought quite a number of them from boutiques, but most of them were from ebay on impulse during auction (then got them authenticated) as I couldn't resist a good deal. Not proud at all! Although I am very very content in what I have now (too many LV, 3 preloved vintage Chanel including my HG the classic flap in super condition, a few Tsumori Chisato, 1 Burberry, a few Coach, no names and my good old trusty lesportsac which I still use when appropriate lol) I do feel that I need to trim down my collection.

So my goal and resolution for 2014 is to:

1. Catalog my bags, gift/sell/donate the ones that are no longer suitable; which can be hard as I am never good at throwing things out! But I will try my very best

2. Stay away from eBay unless selling my bags

3. Shop from my own collection and try not to purchase any more bags. I hope I can achieve this as I already feel a little sick in the stomach seeing my bags piling up in the closet.

Thanks for letting me share and good luck to everyone here with your resolution! :smile:
Welcome! Look forward to seeing your collection :smile:

Hi Ladies! :wave:
I also followed last years thread and will be participating this year. I made a vast improvement in 2013 as compared to 2012. In 2012, I was on the buying/selling cycle - mostly with RM bags. In 2013, I was much more selective with my purchases and limited myself to 4 new bags (2 LV, 1 Alexander Wang which I ended up selling, and 1 Balenciaga). I bought way too many SLG's though :-s
Right now, I have my collection down to 5 bags that all get used consistently, so I'm pretty impressed with myself for that! :drinkup: In 2014, I'm hoping to not sell anything and to add 2 or 3 bags that are well thought out. I am going to be searching for a LV Leopard Speedy on the pre-loved market (only at a good price) and I'll be buying a new LV Tivoli PM for my 30th birthday (eek!). I will be very interested to see at the end of next year how I do. I'm hoping this thread will keep me accountable! Thanks for reading!

I also followed last years thread and will be participating this year. I made a vast improvement in 2013 as compared to 2012. In 2012, I was on the buying/selling cycle - mostly with RM bags. In 2013, I was much more selective with my purchases and limited myself to 4 new bags (2 LV, 1 Alexander Wang which I ended up selling, and 1 Balenciaga). I bought way too many SLG's though :-s
Right now, I have my collection down to 5 bags that all get used consistently, so I'm pretty impressed with myself for that! :drinkup: In 2014, I'm hoping to not sell anything and to add 2 or 3 bags that are well thought out. I am going to be searching for a LV Leopard Speedy on the pre-loved market (only at a good price) and I'll be buying a new LV Tivoli PM for my 30th birthday (eek!). I will be very interested to see at the end of next year how I do. I'm hoping this thread will keep me accountable! Thanks for reading!

What 5 did you end up with? I turn 30 in 2014 too and am thinking of making one special purchase next year to coincide with that.

What 5 did you end up with? I turn 30 in 2014 too and am thinking of making one special purchase next year to coincide with that.

Hi thedseer! I think you should definitely have a special purchase for your 30th - it's a milestone! :tup: I turn 30 in June so I have a while to wait yet, but I've planned on buying the Tivoli since like September, lol.

My five that I ended up with in my collection are:

RM Black Cat MAB - I have such a soft spot for this bag! :heart:
AW Black with Rosegold Rocco
LV DE Speedy 35
LV Fuchsia Graffiti Speedy
Bal 07 Black Part Time with GSH

I also added a couple of LV Mini Pochettes which I don't count as bags, but absolutely love them and use them when I don't feel like carrying around a big bag.

I am super content finally, so now I'm just looking to add some special pieces, which I am very excited about! :smile:

It's awesome that you've narrowed it down to 5 and know exactly what your next bags are. I'm the opposite, my triumph in 2013 was not buying any slgs except a pencil case (which I didn't have to begin with, and have used every day) and a business card older because i found that the one I have doesn't work well for me so will be looking at letting that one go.

How do you all store your bags? I am finding the more organized they are the more I actually use them. I still need to make tags for my dust bags, but I have trying to put them in the exact same cube each time now. That has been helping me to not forget what is where. I do count clutches, pouchettes and wristlets as a bag if I wear it completely on it's own. The pouchette that is in my petit bucket I don't count as I never wear that one separate. How do you all count your bags?

How do you all store your bags? I am finding the more organized they are the more I actually use them. I still need to make tags for my dust bags, but I have trying to put them in the exact same cube each time now. That has been helping me to not forget what is where. I do count clutches, pouchettes and wristlets as a bag if I wear it completely on it's own. The pouchette that is in my petit bucket I don't count as I never wear that one separate. How do you all count your bags?

I store them in a dust bag on the top shelf of my walk in. I also have a list written with style and color and posted at the door of my closet for reference. I'm debating taking a family shot to as for reference since I'm a visual person. (Ok ok, I can be a little OCD sometimes too. ☺️) I have 10-12 bags at the moment and only count bags. I don't count clutches, pouchettes or wristlets because I just don't use them very often. I rarely buy them either. (I think it's been a few years)

Hi thedseer! I think you should definitely have a special purchase for your 30th - it's a milestone! :tup: I turn 30 in June so I have a while to wait yet, but I've planned on buying the Tivoli since like September, lol.

My five that I ended up with in my collection are:

RM Black Cat MAB - I have such a soft spot for this bag! :heart:
AW Black with Rosegold Rocco
LV DE Speedy 35
LV Fuchsia Graffiti Speedy
Bal 07 Black Part Time with GSH

I also added a couple of LV Mini Pochettes which I don't count as bags, but absolutely love them and use them when I don't feel like carrying around a big bag.

I am super content finally, so now I'm just looking to add some special pieces, which I am very excited about! :smile:

great choices! love the 5 you ended up with. i wonder if my distressed sunshine mam is your former one. i'm thinking of a speedy b for my 30th, but not sure.

i'm in for next year! i started out participating last year, but stepped back from the thread when i started spending less time on TPF to help curb impulse spending. it worked, and i haven't purchased any bags in 5 months - yay. luckily, i don't really have the itch for anything else right now.

i sold some bags, and have been going back and forth about selling others. i have one final bag that i know i'm going to sell (it even "sold" on ebay, but the buyer didn't pay), and then i'm going to take a break and not worry about selling for a while. i'm going to pay attention to what i use and then i will decide what else needs to go. i'm thinking i'll sell 3-6 more bags. i'd love to be around 10 by the end of 2014.

i'm not on a ban now, and i don't plan to be on a ban next year, but i want to make careful choices and stop the impulse purchases that i had trouble with in the first part of 2013 and the years prior. i'm planning to track my slush spending again, since that worked well last year. tentatively, i'm thinking i'll purchase one new bag, one new wallet, and a second le pliage. i've had my eye on the coach borough, but i'm not sure the style will work for me. i've also thought about a speedy b. i turn 30 this year, so i may time my bag purchase with my birthday.

as for rotating, i'm not sure what i'll do yet. i typically have been using my tanner or le pliage for work and something(s) else for weekends (assuming i don't have to go into work on weekends). i only have 1 full sized wallet and 1 small wallet (really a card case), so that's easy.

I love this thread and followed it all last year. I don't know if I should join though, because I know it's pointless to say I won't buy "x" amount of bags this year. I have no delusions about my obsessions lol! I do try to rotate and use all of my bags at some point through the year though, so I guess I qualify for that. I really don't see me whittling down my collection right now either. But I'll be watching all of you from the sidelines and cheering you on.....especially you strong-willed ladies that are trying to limit what you buy! Congrats and best of luck.

I store them in a dust bag on the top shelf of my walk in. I also have a list written with style and color and posted at the door of my closet for reference. I'm debating taking a family shot to as for reference since I'm a visual person. (Ok ok, I can be a little OCD sometimes too. ☺️) I have 10-12 bags at the moment and only count bags. I don't count clutches, pouchettes or wristlets because I just don't use them very often. I rarely buy them either. (I think it's been a few years)

Sounds like a great way to keep organized.

I love this thread and followed it all last year. I don't know if I should join though, because I know it's pointless to say I won't buy "x" amount of bags this year. I have no delusions about my obsessions lol! I do try to rotate and use all of my bags at some point through the year though, so I guess I qualify for that. I really don't see me whittling down my collection right now either. But I'll be watching all of you from the sidelines and cheering you on.....especially you strong-willed ladies that are trying to limit what you buy! Congrats and best of luck.

For me it is more about getting use out of what I already have, not so much about limiting as making more thought out purchases. Welcome to the thread!

I bought these open stackable shelves from Costco, I believe a Coach fan posted about them on TPF. I have this dead space right behind the master bedroom door and the shelf fits perfectly there. My bags sit upright in their dust bags except for really large flat bags which I lay flat on the bottom shelf. I have about 12 purses of various shapes and they fit nicely. I bought a few more sets to hold shoes and they work well for that too!

Status
Not open for further replies.