2014 resolution - shopping from my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit I did add a ton of shoes. Some nice ballet flats and a ton of different Toms (perfect for running after the toddlers in my life). I purged my past life shoes that just need someone to wear them instead of collecting dust. That's another goal, no more Toms!

Not sure, i want something similar that will hold everything but perhaps a fun bright color like turquoise. Doesn't have to match the bag of the day, just something I really would enjoy looking at. Right now, my wallet it black leather. It's in great shape so it I can wait it out until the perfect one comes along.
I was looking for turquoise bag last year and found one by Linea Pelle. They seem to have lots of fun colors and bags hold up very well.

Sounds like you're all set! Can't wait to see those bags! When you say well well rounded, do u mean in the sense of having one of each bag in different bag styles, or well rounded for your uses and tastes? Some people like to own one of each bag style and there always seems to be a use for them at some point or another; myself, I think my well rounded collection is based more on the fact that I stick to certain styles, but have several of the same style for different places and uses (ie work versus weekend, but the same style bag, just maybe a more casual version for the weekends.)
can't wait to see it when's find it :smile:

For me well rounded is having a) color choices that work for the season [I break the seasons into Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter] and b) a style for work, weekend, and casual evening. So that winds up being three bags for each season. But I decided I'd like two weekend options with one being able to take on a work role if needed. So that's 2 more. And I have my Hermes Bolide that I bought in 2002 and waited a year for so that stays no matter what. So I'm at 9 bags.

I do believe in "if something works, go multiple." So in my current collection I do have several instances of two of the same bag--one for FW, the other for SS.

In my goal to downsize even more, I think the lowest would be 4-5. I'd shoot for three bags that would work year round so color is critical here. But I do like the idea of a truly summery bag so there's number 4. Add my Bolide and we are at 5.

I really must start shopping from my own handbag collection! I know I can't go cold turkey and just stop buying bags, but I'm cutting WAAAY back and will only allow myself to buy two bags max in 2014. For me this will require great restraint! Instead of buying, I plan to enjoy all of the great reveals on TPF :smile:

I'm still quite young in my collection so I plan on buying one bag every three or four months, but nothing outside of that. BUT that doesn't stop me from making some poor choices between now and January 1st and I have three or four bags in mind!

I'm still quite young in my collection so I plan on buying one bag every three or four months, but nothing outside of that. BUT that doesn't stop me from making some poor choices between now and January 1st and I have three or four bags in mind!

Oh I am with you. I basically told myself to attempt to hold restraint until 1/1/14 and not buy bags and shoes. I say that today after I did some online shopping yesterday night and got three pairs of flats (two tory burch and one rebecca minkoff) and a handbag (Badgely Mischka --love their leathers) for amazing prices and they all filled in some gaps. Last think I want to get is a good black leather jacket between now and then after that... Off to banned island I'll go for a few months.

Today, I went to exchange something and I wore my christmas gift from dh. I thought if I wore a brand new bag while out shopping it would keep me from all the bag sales and it did. It is a Michael Kors medium leather gilmore bag in cinnabar.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 643
Today, I went to exchange something and I wore my christmas gift from dh. I thought if I wore a brand new bag while out shopping it would keep me from all the bag sales and it did. It is a Michael Kors medium leather gilmore bag in cinnabar.
I am not really MK fan but cinnabar is such a gorgeous color! Your DH has very good taste!

Last edited:
I think I'll be joining this thread for 2014. I have always loved bags but in the last few years, I would buy some and then sell them when they didn't work out--not being as selective as I should have been! I would love how a bag looked without really thinking about its practicality for my lifestyle. I joked that I bought for my imaginary lifestyle--one where I was far more dressy and glamorous than I was in real life.:smile:

After selling several bags on eBay, I am now back to a very nice and smaller selection of bags that I use regularly. I have also switched to carrying clutches and wristlets more often now that my kids are older. I love the freedom of not being weighed down by a large tote, although I still return to those totes sometimes (tough habit to break!). What I carry most often now are my Longchamp bags, RM MAC, Proenza Schouler PS1 and clutches (like Coach Legacy or Kate Spade Gia pouch).

My goal is to just enjoy what I have and rotate those items more often and shop in my closet instead of buying something new. I live close to a very large outlet mall, so that's the biggest challenge so I won't say I won't buy any bags but my goal is to keep it to 2 next year. I originally wanted the number to be 0 but I'm not sure how practical it would be as a goal.

Looking forward to hearing others' stories!

So true!!!! Every time I get tempted by a new bag (especially with sale season) I just take out my HG bag that I just purchased and remind myself that I really don't need any other ones. 😁 Works every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.