guy with face tattoo's accusing me of sending him an empty box

insurance is useless. it only covers:
(a) item lost - tracking number has to show "arrived at so and so facility" and that is the last update on the tracking number. than they will search the facility and if they can't find it, than they will refund. (b) if someone from the post office steals item out of box - impossible to prove. even if seller said he put item in box and buyer said empty box, they would just say either seller or buyer is lying. so if he does get a police report saying he got an empty box, I can't file a claim w/ post office for insurance (even if i got it) because post office would say, no, you mailed an empty box. (c) damaged - box has to show signs of damage (this box doesn't), and usually these are notated by the post office before delivery. ex. side of box ripped and something could of fallen out. or something struck the box and put a hole in it and damaged something, etc. if box doesn't show damage and the item is damaged, than post office denies the claim and will say you didn't pack properly.

post office could of took the hat and re-taped but as i stated before tampering with US mail is a felony. Prison time, $250k fine, etc. Pretty much if you wanted to steal this hat and worked at the post office, you wouldn't steal it from the mail. Same thing with if you wanted to rob someone, you wouldn't rob a cop. Judges are NOT nice when people shoot cops (seen as good guys helping ppl, etc.) and you will get a bigger sentence if you shoot a cop. And again, no insurance = so noone knew it was a $500 hat. Maybe 1 out of 100,000 actually know don c hats and know it's worth $500, etc. Trust me, this outcome is already dismissed.

I really hope he attempts to get a police report, because they will take a deep look at it. Find it odd that that every inch of this box is taped and layers of it. Find the label peeled off and re-attached. Find 15 oz on the shipping weight. They will even consider small things like how the bottom of the box is cut and not the top. Usually with boxes with top or bottom openings, most people cut the top because they assume it's facing up.

It might be helpful to go back and read through some of the other posts in this thread. I know that this may be a stressful situation, but a lot of members have provided some different options for how to proceed with this (as well as questions that will help us give you better advice). Without you trying some of these out / giving us more info, there are not a lot of other ways that we have to help.

insurance is useless. it only covers:
(a) item lost - tracking number has to show "arrived at so and so facility" and that is the last update on the tracking number. than they will search the facility and if they can't find it, than they will refund. (b) if someone from the post office steals item out of box - impossible to prove. even if seller said he put item in box and buyer said empty box, they would just say either seller or buyer is lying. so if he does get a police report saying he got an empty box, I can't file a claim w/ post office for insurance (even if i got it) because post office would say, no, you mailed an empty box. (c) damaged - box has to show signs of damage (this box doesn't), and usually these are notated by the post office before delivery. ex. side of box ripped and something could of fallen out. or something struck the box and put a hole in it and damaged something, etc. if box doesn't show damage and the item is damaged, than post office denies the claim and will say you didn't pack properly.

post office could of took the hat and re-taped but as i stated before tampering with US mail is a felony. Prison time, $250k fine, etc. Pretty much if you wanted to steal this hat and worked at the post office, you wouldn't steal it from the mail. Same thing with if you wanted to rob someone, you wouldn't rob a cop. Judges are NOT nice when people shoot cops (seen as good guys helping ppl, etc.) and you will get a bigger sentence if you shoot a cop. And again, no insurance = so noone knew it was a $500 hat. Maybe 1 out of 100,000 actually know don c hats and know it's worth $500, etc. Trust me, this outcome is already dismissed.

I really hope he attempts to get a police report, because they will take a deep look at it. Find it odd that that every inch of this box is taped and layers of it. Find the label peeled off and re-attached. Find 15 oz on the shipping weight. They will even consider small things like how the bottom of the box is cut and not the top. Usually with boxes with top or bottom openings, most people cut the top because they assume it's facing up.

I agree 100%. It is not easy to get fired by the post office. Tampering with someone's mail or shooting someone at the job are pretty much the only things that will get you fired, never mind the charges that may be filed against you. I am not saying that there is not a postal worker in history that has not done it, but you will have to be pretty desperate to do it. And how would you pick the box to steal from? Just randomly?
I would send an email that was suggested before and actually, file a report with USPS and then send the email with the case number, so he knows you mean business.

It might be helpful to go back and read through some of the other posts in this thread. I know that this may be a stressful situation, but a lot of members have provided some different options for how to proceed with this (as well as questions that will help us give you better advice). Without you trying some of these out / giving us more info, there are not a lot of other ways that we have to help.

OP- I agree with this. I know that this is a tough situation, but you need to stay clear of the frustration and other emotions for now and just go through the process. It does actually work sometimes :smile:

just got FCUKED over. 100% valid scam. no way to protect yourself as a seller. This post deserves a sticky.

So, all this talk about, I mailed out a 15 oz box, and they can weigh the empty box and it doesn't weigh 15 oz, etc.
Or the fact I called the post office yesterday and they said the buyer never picked up a box with their white tape (she even said, trust me, that's something we would remember handing out) and they have camera's on top of the counters, etc.
Guess what? none of that matters!

Called ebay and started blabbing my evidence and the guy stops me and says:
it's an incident, they didn't look into it, he just stated he got an empty box to the police and that's what the incident report says, that he stated he got an empty box, that's all we asked for.

My response:
So you are saying, if i go into a police station and say I am Jesus Christ, so they write a incident report stating I walked into the station on such and such date and stated I was Jesus Christ, than ebay would believe I am Jesus??

The guy paused for two minutes realizing how fcuked up the policy is, and he responded:
i didn't make the policy, it's our policy and your buyer did what we required. there is no way to appeal it.

Ok, I get it ebay sides with buyers. Like last month a guy said I sent him jeans with a broken zipper. Ebay doesn't know if I sent it to him like it, the mail damaged it, or the buyer received it and damaged it. They asked him to return it for a full refund. There was nothing wrong with the zipper - the guy didn't want to pay re-stocking fees so made a b/s claim. But even if the buyer damages the zipper, you get the item back and are only out a bit of money to fix the zipper.

But with my case, there was actually ways to prove this guy was a fraud (unlike the he says/she says with the broken zipper).
And what's the point of requiring an incident report if the police admits they didn't investigate anything.

And the guy left me a negative and just booted me from top sellers status, which is going to hurt my sales.

Sorry you had to go through this.

I think eBay's policy is in place to assume the best of people (often assumes too much). But, most good, honest people wouldn't go through with filing a police report if they were lying about something. It's just plain wrong and I think eBay hopes to call people's bluff by adding that step. Sounds like your buyer may just have really been a bonafide scammer.

Perhaps you could also file a police report? Depending on the value of the item, if it is worth it, file a police report that it was lost in the mail and you're at a significant loss. $500 may or may not be worth it to you, though. Maybe you can seek reimbursement through other channels?

This is unfortunately the price we all pay to play on eBay. Next time, always have insurance and SC with shipments of this value.

just got FCUKED over. 100% valid scam. no way to protect yourself as a seller. This post deserves a sticky.

So, all this talk about, I mailed out a 15 oz box, and they can weigh the empty box and it doesn't weigh 15 oz, etc.
Or the fact I called the post office yesterday and they said the buyer never picked up a box with their white tape (she even said, trust me, that's something we would remember handing out) and they have camera's on top of the counters, etc.
Guess what? none of that matters!

Called ebay and started blabbing my evidence and the guy stops me and says:
it's an incident, they didn't look into it, he just stated he got an empty box to the police and that's what the incident report says, that he stated he got an empty box, that's all we asked for.

My response:
So you are saying, if i go into a police station and say I am Jesus Christ, so they write a incident report stating I walked into the station on such and such date and stated I was Jesus Christ, than ebay would believe I am Jesus??

The guy paused for two minutes realizing how fcuked up the policy is, and he responded:
i didn't make the policy, it's our policy and your buyer did what we required. there is no way to appeal it.

Ok, I get it ebay sides with buyers. Like last month a guy said I sent him jeans with a broken zipper. Ebay doesn't know if I sent it to him like it, the mail damaged it, or the buyer received it and damaged it. They asked him to return it for a full refund. There was nothing wrong with the zipper - the guy didn't want to pay re-stocking fees so made a b/s claim. But even if the buyer damages the zipper, you get the item back and are only out a bit of money to fix the zipper.

But with my case, there was actually ways to prove this guy was a fraud (unlike the he says/she says with the broken zipper).
And what's the point of requiring an incident report if the police admits they didn't investigate anything.

And the guy left me a negative and just booted me from top sellers status, which is going to hurt my sales.

First of all, I'm very sorry that this is happening. What your buyer is doing is wrong.

However, I'm not sure what the purpose of your thread is at this point. Multiple people on this forum (who have A LOT of combined experience with eBay and PayPal) have given you suggestions on how to proceed so that you have at least some likelihood of fighting the scammer, and you haven't responded to any of it.

You also won't disclose the eBay ID of your buyer, and since at this point you've said he's scammed you out of $500, I'm not sure why.

First of all, I'm very sorry that this is happening. What your buyer is doing is wrong.

However, I'm not sure what the purpose of your thread is at this point. Multiple people on this forum (who have A LOT of combined experience with eBay and PayPal) have given you suggestions on how to proceed so that you have at least some likelihood of fighting the scammer, and you haven't responded to any of it.

You also won't disclose the eBay ID of your buyer, and since at this point you've said he's scammed you out of $500, I'm not sure why.

VERY well said.... :tup: :yes:

Without going back to read the whole thread, I think I recall asking whether there was signature confirmation on the package but I don't recall your stating whether you purchased it.

If you didn't have s.c., I am not sure whether your buyer is a seasoned scammer. For an item where the total payment is $250 or more, s.c. is required. If you didn't have s.c., an experienced scammer would have simply claimed non-receipt and would have had an easy slam-dunk victory.

Based on the assumption that there was no s.c., my opinion is that the buyer isn't a scammer and did receive an empty box. (I am NOT saying you shipped it that way; just saying that that's what was delivered.)

If there was s.c., the above doesn't apply.

There was signature confirmation.

Also just looked at his feedback and say a bad feedback he left on a $2300 LV jacket "wish I could of got this item". I contacted that seller and they wrote an essay of his scam, the scam he bought me.

What the fcuk is eBay doing?
He sells fake LV and they leave him on his site.
He uses this incident reports (no proof required) for a jacket for $2300 6 months ago
Papers his feedback with buying this cheap stuff ($5 phone skins, trash bags, etc) so eBay thinks he is a "good" guy.
Pull scam on $475 hat with me.

Funny how the only expensive things ends up being empty boxes.

Seems like they never ban for scamming. I bought Balmain jeans a year ago, had to get authenticity docs to get a refund (which I did) and got a full refund. Two days later, the seller relists (yes RE-LISTS), the same pair of jeans I proved was counterfeit and got a full refund for proving they were counterfeit.

Seriously 2 out of his last 30 transactions are "empty" boxes. Oh and the only two expensive transactions. Seriously lightening doesn't strike twice

rlsflava2012

enjoy

Dear sweet Jesus...

Why on Earth would an individual who had just been defrauded of $500 contact the seller (via Ebay mail? Personal e-mail? He never states which) and say "Buyer: bro yesterday i picked up a box from the post office.please text me {his number here}.

I'm sorry...I really am...but seriously? Why would a supposedly duped buyer elect to have a personal text sent to him, as opposed to having it all on record for Ebay to see? And the number one question the op asks is: "(1) how does the police report work?".

And for what it's worth, it's a bit rich to diss someone for having face tattoos when your Ebay ID is i_sell_drugs.

Dear sweet Jesus...

Why on Earth would an individual who had just been defrauded of $500 contact the seller (via Ebay mail? Personal e-mail? He never states which) and say "Buyer: bro yesterday i picked up a box from the post office.please text me {his number here}.

I'm sorry...I really am...but seriously? Why would a supposedly duped buyer elect to have a personal text sent to him, as opposed to having it all on record for Ebay to see? And the number one question the op asks is: "(1) how does the police report work?".

And for what it's worth, it's a bit rich to diss someone for having face tattoos when your Ebay ID is i_sell_drugs.
Right...I understand it's a joke...still, it does illustrate a salient point.

With regards to the latter part of the post, how did the seller contact you initially? Was it through your personal e-mail or through Ebay? Why do you suppose he wanted you to text him at his personal number? It's interesting because he accuses you of harassing him via text...

Dear sweet Jesus...

:wtf::panic::wondering:wondering :lol: