Secondhand bargains, let's see your cheap treasures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking yesterday that maybe the way to break a thrift drought is to surprise the Thrift Gods and go thrift at a time when you would ordinarily not be in the store. Some times that breaks a bad drought for me. Also I really enjoyed the time when we all tried a 100% new to us thrift store at the bequest of one Raven! Yes yes, it was fun and it worked.

May the thrift gods smile down upon you again. I know when Salvos here got a new manager and started overpricing (according to me) their shoes I was downright downtrodden!

That's a good idea, lazlo! Maybe ill try to go tomorrow. I never visit on Fridays. That's the thing the salvos by me has a new manager and the prices keep going up, up, Up, UP. It's a pretty big bummer. There are things in there with stains, holes etc priced at 7.99 and better. Plus one if the ppl that work there basically said he keeps the good stuff for himself. I don't know what to do. It's troubling me. It's funny bc I went to two consignment store last week after a salvos run and the prices for things were cheaper than at salvos. It's out of control. Any advice?

Are you talking about the Salvos here where I am? I wouldn't be surprised. Plus last week this woman, out of no where started telling me how she's a re-seller and all these thing she finds, blah, blah.... I have no issue with anyone who re-sell (heck I'm even trying my hand) but don't announce it to a total stranger. After that I felt like I was on a mad mission to like "find" things. Bad vibe I tell you.

If you're ever on the upper west side there's a Salvos on West 96 and Broadway. It's small and hit or miss like we all know but I've noticed their prices are very consistant and I like the staff.

Mmm hmm I suspected as much. That sucks!

It's happened here and what I do is I yelp and put in my zip and find a new haunt. This is a very fast and easy cure. Cause thrifting is basically about luck and showing up. A new place can heal all!

I wait it out. Last time this happened at my Salvos it was 6 months before it leveled off and the new manager learned her lesson. First she had to drown in a sea of bad shoes that she'd overpriced.

The good thing about Salvos is that they change the managers. Like the Army. Literally the Salvation Army moves their managers around the state and around the USA. I know this from the two dealers I shop with at Sunday morning thrift. They told me two years is a Maximum that corp keeps a manager at any store.

It is so bad when you find out the manager is either selling to private parties (I know Goodwill here is doing that cause I have read their complaints after seeing zero jewelry at a store ... they were selling to private industry types ...) ..

I'd say find a fresh new hunting ground. Ask the other people around you at Salvos where they go. I found a few small thrifts that way. You know people who thrift are usually willing to share their shops. Ask the clerks where they go. You're so pretty and charming I bet they will few up!

You can do it! Screw that whole overpriced pit stained J. Crew place ... I see a New Store in your future Missy!
That's tellin' her Laz. I have noticed on my thrifting excursions that the GW managers are being moved around. The GW next to my job use to be my favorite until I notice that they moved in the manager from Hades. I was waiting for him to slip up and let something get pass him. He always talks about how he worked at Neimans and how expensive everything was. I don't like his pricing or the way he designs the stores. He places all of the pricey bags or "wanna bee" pricey bags behind the counter on hangers. When you go in, you have to ask to see a bag. He overprices everything! Well, I decided to look for shoes...because I was angry. That's when I found the Marc Jacob sandals for $6.99. I had them in a bag and he was trying to sell me a pair of Gucci's pumps for $30. I said, no that's okay. I will buy these...that's when I pulled out the MJ sandals. You should have seen his face....PRICELESS!!! He started stuttering, saying that I really got a good deal. Heck, I knew I got a good deal. I am, " FEARLESS THRIFTY THRIFTER", no shoe, purse or belts will hide from me. Anyway, I am sure he went in the back and threw the pricing gun at someone when I left. :lolots:

That's tellin' her Laz. I have noticed on my thrifting excursions that the GW managers are being moved around. The GW next to my job use to be my favorite until I notice that they moved in the manager from Hades. I was waiting for him to slip up and let something get pass him. He always talks about how he worked at Neimans and how expensive everything was. I don't like his pricing or the way he designs the stores. He places all of the pricey bags or "wanna bee" pricey bags behind the counter on hangers. When you go in, you have to ask to see a bag. He overprices everything! Well, I decided to look for shoes...because I was angry. That's when I found the Marc Jacob sandals for $6.99. I had them in a bag and he was trying to sell me a pair of Gucci's pumps for $30. I said, no that's okay. I will buy these...that's when I pulled out the MJ sandals. You should have seen his face....PRICELESS!!! He started stuttering, saying that I really got a good deal. Heck, I knew I got a good deal. I am, " FEARLESS THRIFTY THRIFTER", no shoe, purse or belts will hide from me. Anyway, I am sure he went in the back and threw the pricing gun at someone when I left. :lolots:

:roflmfao: Awesome. I have the funniest visual of him all po'd after you left!

Here are some more pics of my $1 Loubs - they need some work but then again it's just $1!!!!

View attachment 2135904
View attachment 2135905View attachment 2135906View attachment 2135907View attachment 2135908

What an awesome find with those shoes for only a dollar! You should pop over to the Louboutin sub-forum and check out the DIY threads. You might get some fun ideas to make them even more special and unique!

My St John

30F2496E-7132-4DD6-AF05-2E131D7C8A91-12861-00001376B5AACAEB.jpg

B2AF17B0-DB55-495F-9185-7C7C311B98E0-12861-00001376A6F02408.jpg

I'm a good size 6 or 8 in a dress no way this is a 12 maybe it was altered or shrank. I put it in the Washing machine (I know....) and it reeked of dry clean chemicals (gag). I aired it outside and the smell got better thank goodness

Great dress! Possibly a vintage piece? Sizing has changed from even a few years ago. I've ranged from a size 2 to size 12 depending on the brand/era over the last 5 years, but my weight and height are exactly the same as always. MOD PICS!

I'm dying to go thrifting...One week...If I am good and ban myself to my house all weekend and study and feel I did well on my exams I plan to treat myself to thrifting next Thursday when I am officially done school for the summer! I have an exam tonight, one Monday, and the last Wednesday night. Can't wait for the week to be over ugh!

Mmm hmm I suspected as much. That sucks!

It's happened here and what I do is I yelp and put in my zip and find a new haunt. This is a very fast and easy cure. Cause thrifting is basically about luck and showing up. A new place can heal all!

I wait it out. Last time this happened at my Salvos it was 6 months before it leveled off and the new manager learned her lesson. First she had to drown in a sea of bad shoes that she'd overpriced.

The good thing about Salvos is that they change the managers. Like the Army. Literally the Salvation Army moves their managers around the state and around the USA. I know this from the two dealers I shop with at Sunday morning thrift. They told me two years is a Maximum that corp keeps a manager at any store.

It is so bad when you find out the manager is either selling to private parties (I know Goodwill here is doing that cause I have read their complaints after seeing zero jewelry at a store ... they were selling to private industry types ...) ..

I'd say find a fresh new hunting ground. Ask the other people around you at Salvos where they go. I found a few small thrifts that way. You know people who thrift are usually willing to share their shops. Ask the clerks where they go. You're so pretty and charming I bet they will few up!

You can do it! Screw that whole overpriced pit stained J. Crew place ... I see a New Store in your future Missy!

That is some very useful information!! You know your stuff!!! I cannot believe how corrupt some of these people are. I think it's time to start fresh indeed. Every time I go there is the same crap for months laying on the shelves bc no one in their right mind is going to pay 7.99 for clothes that should have been made into dustrags lol this manager has been there for about a year so here's hoping his reign of terror will come to an end soon lol I miss the days of hunting and finding the goods! You are so funny and encouraging. You made my day!! :ghi5:

Are you talking about the Salvos here where I am? I wouldn't be surprised. Plus last week this woman, out of no where started telling me how she's a re-seller and all these thing she finds, blah, blah.... I have no issue with anyone who re-sell (heck I'm even trying my hand) but don't announce it to a total stranger. After that I felt like I was on a mad mission to like "find" things. Bad vibe I tell you.

If you're ever on the upper west side there's a Salvos on West 96 and Broadway. It's small and hit or miss like we all know but I've noticed their prices are very consistant and I like the staff.

YES!!! It's super overpriced. I am going there exclusively bc I have been staying with mom while she recovers from surgery (she isn't doing too hot) and its only 15 minutes away. I have overheard people talk of reselling and whatnot and it makes me go into panic thrifting mode bc I worry they will "find" something before me and I will miss out. So I totally understand the bad vibe ugh last time I was there they had a painting for 200 bucks!! It was something you could easily find at home goods for 40 smackeroos. There was another painting my fiancé and I liked in there but were unsure of. It didn't have a price so we asked the manager (the little southern guy Phil) what's the price he told us 8.99 and we thought about it and didn't get it. I went back and it was still there marked for 39.99!! The horror! I might check out the one on the UWE this weekend. I am heading to buffalo exchange to get rid of some of my unwanted things.

Manager from hades haha you told him!! I would have loved to see his expression...all I can think is after you left him screeching "I'm melting...meltinggggggg." :boxing: that's the thing I love though they will charge obscene prices on crap like fake coach but will miss a balenciaga wool sweater that's brand new and put a 4.99 sticker on it. That's what I love. I always feel a sense of smug come over me and I want to say "I win" to the manager.

cashmere is not naturally soft. It is very warm and very lightweight - but it only becomes soft as the fibers break down. In ye olden days - you know, like 15 years ago - cashmere producers used very long fibers, which were hard wearing. But too many people complained that their new cashmere wasn't soft. So the started using shorter fibers - which are much more plush - and much more likely to pill
Thanks for sharing! I read about the fibers (long VS short) but I had no idea that people are actually complaining...sadness
I think the thrift angels have abandoned me too, up till the day I was due my luck was hitting heights n since I've had him :sad: no luck. Here are a few things I picked up pre-delivery :smile:

Genuine Celine green retro sunglasses :smile:
View attachment 2137271

Fendi bumbag/ fanny pack, can't wait to use it on my holidays

View attachment 2137272
Brand new Coach bag with tags!!!
View attachment 2137273

Armani jeans bag
View attachment 2137275
I die. The Celine glasses are gorgeous!
I saw this and almost DIED. OMG who would do this? Are they crazy?
I can't see is it Chanel?? Sacrilege...

Hey guys. Does anyone know if this looks like a real Chanel tassel? Thanks a bunch :smile:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365725995.436011.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365725995.436011.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 352
  • ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365726014.355468.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365726014.355468.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 349
. ..There was another painting my fiancé and I liked in there but were unsure of. It didn't have a price so we asked the manager (the little southern guy Phil) what's the price he told us 8.99 and we thought about it and didn't get it. I went back and it was still there marked for 39.99!! The horror! I might check out the one on the UWE this weekend. I am heading to buffalo exchange to get rid of some of my unwanted things.

[/QUOTE]

That's the thing about these places... You got to jump on the deal when you see it :smile:

Can not believe these were at the savers.
Like new Stuart Weitzman Bouffant shoes in my size $8
Tory wool blend cardigan $6
Coach coin purse $5

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365727917.705885.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365727917.705885.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 354
  • ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365727954.505045.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365727954.505045.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 356
  • ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365728010.311524.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365728010.311524.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 352
  • ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365728077.817720.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365728077.817720.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 355
  • ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365728123.110400.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365728123.110400.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 360
Did someone cut the tag out??

I can't see is it Chanel?? Sacrilege...

Sacrilege is the perfect word for what that is. The Consignment store had an ENTIRE rack of CHANEL (unheard of). I'm going through the rack with my jaw on the ground, and then I saw that (and it's a beautiful jacket). I held it up and yelled at my friend, "WHO DOES THAT???" :nono::noggin: The rest of the Chanel clothing had tags in tact. They also had about 8 vintage Chanel bags. My head was spinning. It's still spinning, and it wants to go back and BUY!!!

. ..There was another painting my fiancé and I liked in there but were unsure of. It didn't have a price so we asked the manager (the little southern guy Phil) what's the price he told us 8.99 and we thought about it and didn't get it. I went back and it was still there marked for 39.99!! The horror! I might check out the one on the UWE this weekend. I am heading to buffalo exchange to get rid of some of my unwanted things.

That's the thing about these places... You got to jump on the deal when you see it :smile:[/QUOTE]

I have been thrifting for about five years and I have never experienced anything like that, Ever. I have shopped the same location more than once a week for years and never experienced that either. It's ripping ppl off. Going so often you begin to notice a lot of things especially price fluctuations and unfair pricing. It sucks.

Sacrilege is the perfect word for what that is. The Consignment store had an ENTIRE rack of CHANEL (unheard of). I'm going through the rack with my jaw on the ground, and then I saw that (and it's a beautiful jacket). I held it up and yelled at my friend, "WHO DOES THAT???" :nono::noggin: The rest of the Chanel clothing had tags in tact. They also had about 8 vintage Chanel bags. My head was spinning. It's still spinning, and it wants to go back and BUY!!!

I would have no choice but to buy!!! I would lose major sleep over it lol :weird:

Status
Not open for further replies.