The One(ish) A Month Club

Ok ladies, I would appreciate some opinions. I am looking currently at a couple of knitwear pieces, both fairly conservative:

1. Saint Laurent black cashmere sweater:

http://www.matchesfashion.com/product/154894

2. Erdem navy boatneck and lace-sleeve sweater:

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/332049

Does anyone have a really strong preference? Black cashmere has such a magnetic pull and it's so nicely finished. OTOH the the Erdem piece is so pretty :girlsigh:

I personally prefer the first one more, but get the one you love.

Ok ladies, I would appreciate some opinions. I am looking currently at a couple of knitwear pieces, both fairly conservative:

Does anyone have a really strong preference? Black cashmere has such a magnetic pull and it's so nicely finished. OTOH the the Erdem piece is so pretty :girlsigh:

If you live in a warmer climate go for the one you really love! You'll get more use out of it :smile:

I need to join this. I'm bad at impulse buying because I will see something I love in the catalog or on a fashion blogger and its in my bag and on its way to me before I can even think about it. Then I get it and realize WTF was I thinking, that's SO not me..

Let's face it... I'm pretty boring when it comes to clothes. I like my plain cardigans, jeans & flats. When I'm really feeling frisky on the weekends I may break out a dress & tights. I'll spend major bucks on bags, but I'm a penny pincher when it comes to clothes.

So just last night I've gone through and purged my closet and am working on listing it all on Poshmark.

So my one practical piece for the month of January was a Navy & white striped knit top from J. Crew Factory. And I'm very happy with it. I will definitely get the use out of it.

http://factory.jcrew.com/womens-clothing/knits_tees/long_sleeve_tees/PRDOVR~50894/50894.jsp

I need to join this. I'm bad at impulse buying because I will see something I love in the catalog or on a fashion blogger and its in my bag and on its way to me before I can even think about it. Then I get it and realize WTF was I thinking, that's SO not me..

Let's face it... I'm pretty boring when it comes to clothes. I like my plain cardigans, jeans & flats. When I'm really feeling frisky on the weekends I may break out a dress & tights. I'll spend major bucks on bags, but I'm a penny pincher when it comes to clothes.

So just last night I've gone through and purged my closet and am working on listing it all on Poshmark.

So my one practical piece for the month of January was a Navy & white striped knit top from J. Crew Factory. And I'm very happy with it. I will definitely get the use out of it.

http://factory.jcrew.com/womens-clothing/knits_tees/long_sleeve_tees/PRDOVR~50894/50894.jsp

Congrats on joining!! :drinkup:

I NEED to purge my closet - it's such an inspiration that others are just getting in and doing it! :tup:

This weekend, I promise...:biggrin: :P

Congrats on joining!! :drinkup:

I NEED to purge my closet - it's such an inspiration that others are just getting in and doing it! :tup:

This weekend, I promise...:biggrin: :P

Thank you! I'm a hoarder so it's hard for me to do. I remember reading somewhere a good technique... Start out the season with all of your hangers facing the same way. After you wear something turn its hanger the opposite way. In 3 or 6 mos. evaluate the clothes that has hangers still facing the original direction.

My goals for 2013 is to try to stick to more basic pieces that I can mix & match into different combos, rather than something that I wear with the same combo every single time.

I love both, but I do think the sleeves on the Saint Laurent look a little too long for 3/4 sleeves and a little too short for full sleeved. I might worry about how the Edrem would wear but it is so pretty & still work appropriate which can be hard to find.

I bought these two items today at Intermix. A silk top from Joie that is very simple but the color is amazing with my eyes, really makes them pop, plus the silk is washable! And this jacket by Drew which feels like a sweatshirt but has great structure. I think it will be a great layering piece for when I take my daughter to the playground so I can be casual without being frumpy. :P

I also got some Lululemon yoga pants, which I'm not counting towards my purchases, but which are amazing and make me look at least 5-10 lbs thinner. :cool:

Attachments

• drew jacket.jpg
    drew jacket.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 539
  • joie silk top.jpg
    joie silk top.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 543
Oooohh, I SO need to join in on this thread! I mean, I have sort of been adding to my wardrobe after this philosophy for a while now anyway, but I think it'll be good for me to really look at it as a challenge. :biggrin: Especially considering I'm still just a little student (last year at University, though - YEY!:cool:) who just spent loads of money on a new MacBook and a new camera and booking a two-week trip to the States/Las Vegas for summer. Haha! :P

So all in all - I should definitely be saving my money right now, especially with that upcoming trip, and I'd say this is a good way of doing it. :smile: Even though I might have a liiiiiiittle trouble limiting myself to just one item per month. :giggles:

Though I was pretty well-behaved all through sale-season, and only got four much-needed items in January, and one item thus far in February.

For January I got:
A pair of black-and-rust Rag&Bone ombre jeans,
A white knit sweater in alpaca wool from Acne,

A black silk button-down shirt from Norwegian brand FWSS
And a pair of basic, black everyday boots.

For February I got these ankle skinny jeans from Current/Elliott, at like 70% off. Haven't taken any pictures with them yet, but I loooove them to bits. Such good jeans! So no fancy statement items, but really good quality wardrobe-staples, and all with major discounts. *proud* And you can just click the links to see how it all looks on. :smile:

Now to stay nice and shopping-free for the rest of February.

I bought these two items today at Intermix. A silk top from Joie that is very simple but the color is amazing with my eyes, really makes them pop, plus the silk is washable! And this jacket by Drew which feels like a sweatshirt but has great structure. I think it will be a great layering piece for when I take my daughter to the playground so I can be casual without being frumpy. :P

I also got some Lululemon yoga pants, which I'm not counting towards my purchases, but which are amazing and make me look at least 5-10 lbs thinner. :cool:
I really LIKE the Drew jacket! A LOT!

Workout clothes don't count.

PlaceboGiraffe welcome!

OP,
I love this idea! (And that you've customized it for your life!)
I think I've been unconsciously doing the one/month too. ( or attempting it.)
I moved back from EU last year and realized I loved having a smaller wardrobe. It is just so much easier for me. When we moved back into our house I had to go through all the clothes I had stored. I purged all the ill-fitting stuff I somehow was unable to part with before....and really after 2 years away, my taste had changed. I feel like I'm in a rebuilding phase, but I also feel like for anything I bring in, something has to go out! Season, by season.
I love it when I'm reaching for something to wear! Space in the closest is such a luxury, but it's difficult when I have the urge to shop!

I love both, but I do think the sleeves on the Saint Laurent look a little too long for 3/4 sleeves and a little too short for full sleeved. I might worry about how the Edrem would wear but it is so pretty & still work appropriate which can be hard to find.

:tup:

I pulled the trigger on it this afternoon :biggrin: Thank everyone for their input :ty:

So February is standing at:

1. Dolce et Gabbana skirt
2. Erdem navy lace sleeve sweater

I may still get the black cashmere knit but would be happy to wait until March (hoping of course it doesn't sell out in my size :sweatdrop:)

I have been bad on my LA trip. I have picked up an Equipment blouse and an Etoile IM jacket. Still want Chanel espadrilles.

Attachments

• image-2767741713.jpg
    image-2767741713.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 402
Last edited: