Recommendations for documentaries

being elmo-about kevin clash,the man behind elmo.
the king of kong-a man trying to break the highest score on king kong and the record holder trying to stop him. it's really entertaining.
every f-ing day of my life-a woman and her oldest son murdered husband/father because he abused them everyday for years.it's about their time spent leading up to their prison sentence.
jesus camp-one of the most terrifying documentaries I've seen.it's about children who attend a christian summer camp.
12th and delaware- about an abortion clinic that is across the street from a religious based crisis pregnancy center. It's a great film and terrifying to see what the real motives behind these crisis pregnancy centers are.
The bridge-people who commit suicide by jumping off the golden gate bridge in san fran.
Resurrect Dead-a man tries to find the meaning behind these tiles with messages on them that have been appearing in the us and south america for years.
This film is not yet rated-about the american movie ratings board.
Bobby Fischer against the world-about the famed chess master bobby fischer
We were here- the first years of aids and it's impact on san fran
Tabloid-miss wyoming was charged with abducting a young mormon missionary.
Joan rivers-a piece of work. about joan.
Jonestown-about jim jones and his peoples temple cult.
Religulous-one of my fav documentaries. it's bill maher talking to people about religion. it's hilarious.
Capturing the friedmans-the investigation of a father and son convicted of child molestation.Ruining their so called perfect family.
The weather underground-extreme activists during the vietnam war.
Conan obrien can't stop-about conan post tonight show. If you really like conan it could change your view of him. It changed mine but it's good.
Howard Zinn-you can't be neutral on a moving train-About the great,late author howard zinn.
Lake of fire-about abortion in the usa
The man who ate his lover-yes it's what it sounds like..
Waco:a new revelation-about the waco events
Grizzly man-about a man named tim who lived among them for years.
Crazy love-about a man had acid thrown on his girlfriends face and their relationship.
good.

- Paradise Lost 1, 2 & 3: the story of the West Memphis 3 & the child murders at Robin Hood Hills

- Ganja Queen: the story of Australian Schapelle Corby convicted of drug smuggling into Indonesia, she maintains her innocence that the drugs were planted in her surf board bag by baggage handlers who plant drugs in passenger bags to ship between airports

- George Harrison "Living in a Material World": Martin Scorsese documentary about George Harrison

- There is Something Wrong with Aunt Diane: the story of Diane Schuler who left a campgrounds in upstate New York where she was vacationing with her family and set off towards home on Long Island. With her were five young children. Four hours later, she drove the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway for nearly two miles – eventually crashing into an oncoming SUV, killing herself and seven others. One of the worst motor-vehicle accidents in New York State history, she was found to be drunk but he family denies that and maintains she had a medical issue.

- Chasing Madoff: the story of how one investigator spend 10 yrs trying to expose Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme

12th and delaware- about an abortion clinic that is across the street from a religious based crisis pregnancy center. It's a great film and terrifying to see what the real motives behind these crisis pregnancy centers are.
The bridge-people who commit suicide by jumping off the golden gate bridge in san fran.

"The Bridge" is one of my favorite documentaries.

I just watched "12th & Delaware," because of this thread and I was so frustrated and angered within the first 13 minutes. I didn't think I would make it through the entire film, but I did. It was very powerful. Thanks for the recommendation.

This is a great thread.

Last edited:
Oh I also watched Capturing the Friedmans, and Paradise Lost 1 & 2 I think. Enjoyed them all!

Totally going to look up some of the ones that have been suggested. Great thread!

- Paradise Lost 1, 2 & 3: the story of the West Memphis 3 & the child murders at Robin Hood Hills

- Ganja Queen: the story of Australian Schapelle Corby convicted of drug smuggling into Indonesia, she maintains her innocence that the drugs were planted in her surf board bag by baggage handlers who plant drugs in passenger bags to ship between airports

- George Harrison "Living in a Material World": Martin Scorsese documentary about George Harrison

- There is Something Wrong with Aunt Diane: the story of Diane Schuler who left a campgrounds in upstate New York where she was vacationing with her family and set off towards home on Long Island. With her were five young children. Four hours later, she drove the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway for nearly two miles – eventually crashing into an oncoming SUV, killing herself and seven others. One of the worst motor-vehicle accidents in New York State history, she was found to be drunk but he family denies that and maintains she had a medical issue.

- Chasing Madoff: the story of how one investigator spend 10 yrs trying to expose Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme

i didn't know they had a doc about the woman on the taconic yet. wow. i still remember the day that happened.

tory_c and i have very similar lists. i would also add "paris is burning" and the rosie o'donnell doc about her gay cruise (i forget the name of it. it was on hbo some years ago.)

been dying to see chasing madoff and can't seem to find it either on demand or on netflix.

i also like watching docs about best of competitions like 'word games' (i think it's called) about people who play scrabble. there's also one i loved about a grocery bagging competition.

and then there are the morgan suprlock movies: the greatest movie ever sold is really interesting as is manscape.

i started watching a doc about dogs and the celebs who love them on netflix the other day. totally sweet.

(i really hope i have all these names right. i'm totally blanking on everything right now)

but piece of work and being elmo are just facinating.

FYI, some docs are available for free in full length on youtube if anyone is interested. :smile:

The Great Happiness Space: Tale of an Osaka Love Thief - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICdOm6nwUo *two thumbs up* Incredibly interesting!

Red Without Blue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL7X8TiGg3U *thumbs down from me* - I enjoy docs that address lgbt issues, but this one was very slow paced, dull, and contained too much self-loathing. jmho. There is a video in the sidebar that gives an update on Clare. She's married now.

Paris is Burning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS0_NUqPgw4 *two thumbs up* - Chronicles the African American and Latino ballroom culture of the 80's in New York.

Last edited:
i didn't know they had a doc about the woman on the taconic yet. wow. i still remember the day that happened.

tory_c and i have very similar lists. i would also add "paris is burning" and the rosie o'donnell doc about her gay cruise (i forget the name of it. it was on hbo some years ago.)

been dying to see chasing madoff and can't seem to find it either on demand or on netflix.

i also like watching docs about best of competitions like 'word games' (i think it's called) about people who play scrabble. there's also one i loved about a grocery bagging competition.

and then there are the morgan suprlock movies: the greatest movie ever sold is really interesting as is manscape.

i started watching a doc about dogs and the celebs who love them on netflix the other day. totally sweet.

(i really hope i have all these names right. i'm totally blanking on everything right now)

hahaha, I so want to see this!

FYI, some docs are available for free in full length on youtube if anyone is interested. :smile:

The Great Happiness Space: Tale of an Osaka Love Thief - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KICdOm6nwUo *two thumbs up* Incredibly interesting!

Red Without Blue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL7X8TiGg3U *thumbs down from me* - I enjoy docs that address lgbt issues, but this one was very slow paced, dull, and contained too much self-loathing. jmho. There is a video in the sidebar that gives an update on Clare. She's married now.

Paris is Burning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS0_NUqPgw4 *two thumbs up* - Chronicles the African American and Latino ballroom culture of the 80's in New York.

Thanks for the links!

Ohh, I saw this one. It was sooo cute & endearing.