Recommendations for documentaries

Just saw this on NPR

http://wamu.org/programs/metro_connection/12/02/03/a_family_guards_an_open_secret

A Family Guards An Open Secret By: Rebecca Sheir // February 3, 2012 Transcript Order a CD Add a commentcommentsSteve LickteigSteve Lickteig (front, center) always thought he was a stranger adopted into the Lickteig family; at age 18, he found out his adopted parents were actually his grandparents. His mother was his supposed sister, Joanie (middle row, center). Steve Lickteig grew up thinking he was the adopted son of Don and Mary Jane Lickteig: farmers in Kansas who already had eight biological children. When Lickteig was 18 years old, his two best friends delivered some stunning news: he was actually the illegitimate son of his oldest sister, and everyone in his life had always known the secret. Lickteig now lives in Washington, D.C., and has made Open Secret, a documentary about his story. He speaks with Metro Connection’s Rebecca Sheir about the film, which gets to the heart of many a person's greatest fear: discovering everything you thought you knew about yourself was a lie. Following are highlights of their conversation.

Lickteig on the moment he found out who his real mother was: “My friend Vance, who’s in the film, said, ‘I know who your mother is: your sister, Joanie.’ And then my other friend Allen who was there was like, ‘yeah, I mean I’ve known since I was in like seventh grade. Vance had known since he was you know, like 8 years old.’ And Allen says I just was very still and quiet and like, introspective about it. That’s one of those moments where people say, ‘oh’ when you’re told something shocking, you sort of shut down. That’s what happened. Because there’s also a photo of me the next day at graduation with my arms around my mom and dad and I’m like, laughing and they’re smiling and they don’t know that I know.”

Lickteig on the ‘open secret’ and how everyone in the community knew: “I was born in 1969… 1987 is when I graduated high school. And this is Kansas, and not backwards by any stretch. But it was unthinkable to meddle in another family’s business. And you know my parents, my mom mostly, my dad I think knew everybody knew. But my mom really didn’t think that people knew. I think she thought she’d kept it very well-hidden.”

Lickteig on Joanie’s (his biological mother) fear of Mary Jane (Joanie’s mother): “Well the stories I remember, and I have some recollection of this even as a child myself but it wasn’t as severe, is that she was volatile. My mom had truly diagnosed mental issues. She had severe depression. I’d venture to say there were probably issues of being bipolar. And I think when Joanie found out that she was pregnant, this wasn’t going to be a mom that was going to say, ‘Joanie just come home and we’ll take care of everything. You don’t worry about it.’ So I understand that she tried to hide it for a while, and tried to figure out what she was going to do. And all of her plans were basically foiled by my mother, who stepped in and said, ‘this is what we’re going to do.’”

Lickteig on his relationship with Joanie: “At this very moment as we talk, it’s kind of nonexistent. She didn’t like the film. She didn’t feel that she was portrayed in the right light. And of course I completely and utterly disagree, and everybody who has seen it from the family and people who know her are like, you captured her perfectly. But nobody wants to see that about themselves, because Joanie is both good and bad in that film. And she says some really awful things about my mother in that film.”

Listen to the full conversation here.

[Music: "Voices Carry (Karaoke Version)" by The Karaoke Channel from Karaoke - In the Style of 'Til Tuesday - Vol. 1]

Photos: Open Secret

Open Secret Trailer

Open Secret Trailer from Steve Lickteig on Vimeo.

Another on NPR:

http://wamu.org/news/11/05/13/african_immigrant_turned_us_marine_screens_war_documentary_sunday.php

African Immigrant Turned U.S. Marine Screens War Documentary Sunday By: Courtney Collins // May 13, 2011 Add a commentcomments
Folleh Tamba was born in the United States, but was sent to live with his grandmother in Africa before he turned one year old. His parents returned to their native continent several years later, and Tamba and everyone he loved found themselves in the middle of civil war in Liberia.

"During the civil war, most of my friends were killed," Tamba says. He saw people shot on the way to refugee camps and witnessed people starve to death once they arrived.

It was a violent, hopeless time, but the arrival of U.S. Marines changed everything, he says.

"So when the Marines showed up, everything stopped," he says. "I remember the women in the street -- there's this garment that they wear -- putting it on the floor for the Marines to walk on."

Thanks to the peace the Marines restored, Tamba was able to get to the U.S. embassy and emigrate to Chicago. He was 17. After high school and college, Tamba decided to enlist.

"I want to be the guy that takes the gun and fights for something," says Tamba, who still lives in Chicago.

Several tours later, he has been awarded a Purple Heart for after being wounded in combat in Iraq, and produced and directed two documentaries about war. The second, "Line of Departure," will screen in the G.I. Film Festival Sunday evening. The festival wraps up on Sunday.

Chihuly over Venice - the glass artist making several installations for Venice Italy, it was fascinating. He travelled to Waterford, other places, and collaborated with local artists for the pieces he put in various spots in Venice eventually. Really wonderful.

Here's a website you might be interested in www.documentaryheaven.com
Have seen several that are listed. You can pick according to your interests.

I recommend Cocaine Cowboys. Saw it on History Channel. About the Cocaine trade in Miami in the late 70's to 80's. Actually had some of the old guys who are still alive telling their tales & talking about keyplayers that are dead now.

Paradise Lost, all 3 docs, but especially #2
Chernobyl Heart ( a short doc)
Dogtown and Zboys
American Hardcore
Forgiving Dr. Mengele
The Rape of Europa

Last edited:
being elmo-about kevin clash,the man behind elmo.
the king of kong-a man trying to break the highest score on king kong and the record holder trying to stop him. it's really entertaining.
every f-ing day of my life-a woman and her oldest son murdered husband/father because he abused them everyday for years.it's about their time spent leading up to their prison sentence.
jesus camp-one of the most terrifying documentaries I've seen.it's about children who attend a christian summer camp.
12th and delaware- about an abortion clinic that is across the street from a religious based crisis pregnancy center. It's a great film and terrifying to see what the real motives behind these crisis pregnancy centers are.
The bridge-people who commit suicide by jumping off the golden gate bridge in san fran.
Resurrect Dead-a man tries to find the meaning behind these tiles with messages on them that have been appearing in the us and south america for years.
This film is not yet rated-about the american movie ratings board.
Bobby Fischer against the world-about the famed chess master bobby fischer
We were here- the first years of aids and it's impact on san fran
Tabloid-miss wyoming was charged with abducting a young mormon missionary.
Joan rivers-a piece of work. about joan.
Jonestown-about jim jones and his peoples temple cult.
Religulous-one of my fav documentaries. it's bill maher talking to people about religion. it's hilarious.
Capturing the friedmans-the investigation of a father and son convicted of child molestation.Ruining their so called perfect family.
The weather underground-extreme activists during the vietnam war.
Conan obrien can't stop-about conan post tonight show. If you really like conan it could change your view of him. It changed mine but it's good.
Howard Zinn-you can't be neutral on a moving train-About the great,late author howard zinn.
Lake of fire-about abortion in the usa
The man who ate his lover-yes it's what it sounds like..
Waco:a new revelation-about the waco events
Grizzly man-about a man named tim who lived among them for years.
Crazy love-about a man had acid thrown on his girlfriends face and their relationship.

the king of kong-a man trying to break the highest score on king kong and the record holder trying to stop him. it's really entertaining.

I need to re-watch this!

The September Issue (Vogue)

The September Issue was good, and when I finished it, Netflix recommended Bill Cunningham New York, and that was fantastic! Cunningham is a really interesting, eccentric, and lively man whose has really interesting stuff to say about life and fashion.