Travel Japan!

I love watching NHK World ( Japanese TV chanel)

It's in english and has lots of useful information. I watched two very good programs last week one was called 'Meet and Speak' - Welcome to Japan and the other one was called 'Tokyo eye'- How much?.... This one was very good showed all the building's in Toyko with a viewing decks and given price's for each ( and said which one's were free even better!) restaurants and clothes prices etc. Well worth watching!

Osaka was my favorite by far. Tokyo was great, but I felt I enjoyed Osaka much more.

FOOD: No matter what you do, you MUST have Osaka style okonomiyaki before you leave! You won't have to search far and wide to find it, but once outside Osaka, good luck! It's japanese pancakes that are decadent! Also, ask around and get yourself the real deal tonkotsu ramen - hand-made, no crappy packaged ramen noodles. Make sure you find a "Mochi Cream" store, it's like the Godiva of mochi, and is ice cream based.

Visit HEP 5 to ride one of the many ferris wheels (but this one is located on top of a shopping mall!) for the BEST view of Osaka you will ever see.

f3d709cc.jpg

(tonkotsu ramen, fresh with homemmade ramen)
24ce4ef6.png

THE most fantastic place in Kyoto by far (for me, anyway!) Was Uji City! It's home to the Byodo-in Temple (I believe that's on the japanese penny) and it has a whole village of green tea. All the rarest and tastiest green tea to drink, as well as green tea mochi and other pastries.

54760f08.png

50edb51e.png

Adventureland in Wakayama is fantastic, too! It's the most interactive zoo I've ever been to. You can just about touch all the animals. http://www.giantpandazoo.com/panda/panda-zoos/adventure-world-shirahama

my best shot of the trip! :smile:
56c27848.png

Check out the Golden Pavillion. Kinkaku-ji, in Kyoto. It's made of 24k gold. Watch out for HUGE spiders in LOW webs there though. *shudders*

53aca3b8.jpg

Nara is BEAUTIFUL! All the deer in Nara are super friendly and the scenery is great. Nara is home to Todaiji which you absolutely MUST visit. It's one of the oldest temples in Japan. It's gigantic and so majestic.

my fiance feeding a deer in Nara:
600b205e.png

It goes without saying that you have to see Fushimi-Inari in Taisha!

32b12f1a.png

If you go to Kobe, you definitely have to visit their Chinatown!

aedc1214.png

Last edited:
Thank-you!!

Oh you are going to have a blast! And i have the GREATEST spot for you in Tokyo to visit for food - but mainly for the really neat atmosphere. It's fashioned to look like an old shop in the 1950s or so. It has all old decor and old movie posters. It's called Yurakucho and it's in Yakitori alley. We really enjoyed it!

I LOVE your photos! I will be in Tokyo for just a few days in July. can't wait!

Hello All, I am leaving for Japan next week and was wondering what mode of transportation to take when going to Tokyo Disneyland? I will take my 2 kids with me. Is Tokyo Disneyland easy to navigate around? Thanks!

Hi!

I'm going to Japan next week. I'm Canadian, and right now, 1 CAD = ~100 yen.

The mini iPad here is 330$ plus taxes (379$), but in Japan, it's 28800 yen including taxes (about 280$CAD). (almost 100$ cheaper!)

Following this logic, I did some price comparisons. It seems that it would be worthwhile to shop in Japan. For example, the same LV bag in Japan in cheaper than here in Canada.
However, it's not always the case. I checked Bottega Veneta and Gucci, and both are more expensive in Japan even of the low currency rate.

My question for you guys is: which brands are worth buying in Japan right now (apart from LV)? What are the other luxury brands that would be cheaper in Japan right now because of the currency conversion rate???

Also, I'm a guy. Any local Japanese brands you guys would recommend (ex: Comme des garcons, Hare, Takeo Kikuchi, etc...)

Thank you!!! :biggrin:

Hi there,

I was in Japan last week, for a few days. Osaka, Okayama, Imabari. The JYen exchange rate is quite advantageous, but again it depends on what we're talking about.

Unfortunately I cannot recall specific examples such as those you are referring to - Jap designer brands, Bottega V or Gucci. I do a lot of shopping every time I go to Japan, but this is usually watches, accessories, electronics and some (occasionally) clothing. I have shirts and suits tailor made in either South Korea, Hong Kong or Shanghai so unless it is something very specific then I do my shopping duty free before I fly off my country of residence. This includes bags, shoes or other leather goods.

I do buy a lot of cosmetics, perfumes, etc. and in Osaka (Kansai International Airport - KIX) I have purchased a number of items. Last week I got the lovely Shiso face moisturizer from The Body Shop; this is 'Made in Japan' and I think only available there as yet. There are also Serge Lutens perfumes at KIX but do not remember the prices as I bought one last December.

The accessories available at boutiques are pretty to very good. I got some fantastic Ferragamo cufflinks at their duty free boutique in Narita airport six months back, the Japanese have exquisite taste and only want the best. Therefore there is a lot to find around if you have time for shopping. Regarding bags I believe that it is much better to buy them in places like Hong Kong, but would have to check that one and get back to you.

On the issue of Apple products, I got myself a mini iPad last December - sorry to say I cannot remember how much I paid for it. I got it at the Yodobashi (Akihabara location) store in Tokyo. The iPhone 5 in Japan cannot be sold as standalone device, it is only sold with a mobile telephony contract. For Apple, the best place to get them in Asia is definitely Hong Kong, the prices there are by far the cheapest.

One more thing about Japan: over the years, since 2006 that I've been in the area, I have bought various things there. These range from clothes (e.g. RL underware, RL handerchiefs) to luggage (Nike carry-on golf set) and from watches to electronics. I can ascertain you that their products are top-notch regarding quality. The RL goods I bought were all 'Made in Japan' and their electronics are from the very best batches from any production line, i.e. the Canon dSLR body or lens you will buy in Hong Kong is not the same as those you will buy in Japan. The Japanese have wristwatch models only released in Japan and this is applied in almost every part of the retail industry.

Last weekend I took a 3-day short business trip to Southern Japan.

The time interval there was quite short, nevertheless I took the opportunity to take just a few pictures; as a result I can make a very short 'trip report' for the forum here.

I flew in to Fukuoka International Airport, a relatively small hub which nonetheless offers a number of interesting international direct connections (e.g. to Singapore).

First day was spent in Fukuoka, next morning took the train to Nagasaki. The train ride is approximately 2 hours long. Very briefly, Fukuoka is famous for its canals and underground Tenjin City. Nagasaki is a very beautiful place with warm-hearted people and small houses built on the sides of all nearby hills.

IMG_0328_zpsca5c5595.jpg

fuk_zpsc941a2dd.jpg

IMG_0335_zpsfc81af0c.jpg

Fukuoka by night.

IMG_0428_zps82e0e5ea.jpg

IMG_0371_zpsa58c7a1a.jpg

IMG_0370_zps70a17984.jpg

IMG_0369_zpsda72e89b.jpg

IMG_0354_zps352dda8f.jpg

Nagasaki:

IMG_0418_zpsc9f4b6be.jpg

photo_zpsdfa279b8.jpg

IMG_0412_zpsa9c9b40b.jpg

Long exposure night view from the Best Western Premier, Nagasaki.

IMG_0396_zps41bb485d.jpg

IMG_0391_zps67fa9fad.jpg

IMG_0392_zpsaa3f9f96.jpg

Both cities offer plenty of good shopping experiences. The Japanese are well known for their attention to quality, detail and style. Generally speaking, it is very common that most goods offered in the Japanese retail market are either exclusively imported for the country or have gone thorough quality control so that the end user (i.e. the consumer) will be more than happy with the purchase.

Japan is always fascinating for me to visit. It's a country with endless possibilities for shopping, good cuisine, sightseeing and for experiencing a completely different culture.

Thanks for reading.

Hi everyone!

So as some of you may know, my husband and I live in South Korea with his family. My mum is coming to visit me soon and because Korea is so close to Japan, we decided we should go! Only problem is, I have never been to Japan, so I could really use some suggestions on where to stay, and what to do while we're there.

We will only be going to Tokyo because we won't stay more than a week. I know Tokyo is very big, and all of my friends keep saying I have to visit Ginza, Shibuya, and Harajuku, but I just don't know what those places have to offer. Does anybody have any recommendations of a hotel where we should stay in Tokyo or something we should do?

Thank you for your time! :P

Hi everyone!

So as some of you may know, my husband and I live in South Korea with his family. My mum is coming to visit me soon and because Korea is so close to Japan, we decided we should go! Only problem is, I have never been to Japan, so I could really use some suggestions on where to stay, and what to do while we're there.

We will only be going to Tokyo because we won't stay more than a week. I know Tokyo is very big, and all of my friends keep saying I have to visit Ginza, Shibuya, and Harajuku, but I just don't know what those places have to offer. Does anybody have any recommendations of a hotel where we should stay in Tokyo or something we should do?

Thank you for your time! :P

What kind of shopping do you want to do? Ginza is full of department stores and designer boutiques. Harajuku is more of a younger shopping area with a lot of cheaper clothes on Take****a Dori. Shibuya is a mix of both.
I go once a year to Tokyo and stay in Shinjuku at the Sunroute hotel. It's across the street from the train station so it's easy to get places.
I would recommend you stay at a city on the Yamanote train line because it would make it easier to travel to most of the popular places in Tokyo. The line is a circle that goes to Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Ikebukuro, Ueno and more.

Places I recommend:
Asakusa: Sensoji Temple
Ueno: Ueno Zoo and Ameyokocho
Odaiba: Divercity (Giant Gundam statue)
Tokyo Station: Ramen alley, Antique flea market across the street only on the first Sunday of the month

Shopping is pretty much everywhere so it really depends what you are looking for.
Makes me think of where I want to go lol
I'll be there in a week!