Travel Japan!

crowded yes, crazy, not really. it's a very behaved orderly crowded. and in my experience during most of the day it's fine, it just gets crowded during rush hour times.

I agree. The most remarkable thing I noted about being amongst so many people on the streets is how quiet it is. No honking horns and people speak softly. It's really quite amazing compared with other major world cities in Asia, Europe, the US, etc.

I so want to travel with my fiance to Tokyo, however we don't really have the time or money to right now. It is a definite hope for the future though... I have been fasinated with Japan even from a young age... so to me it'll be a dream come true. :heart:

I know Tokyo is safe, but are the streets and such too crazy and crowded?

crowded yes, crazy, not really. it's a very behaved orderly crowded. and in my experience during most of the day it's fine, it just gets crowded during rush hour times.

It's very crowded, but as mundodabolsa says, it's behaved and orderly crowded.

I had a great time in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Nara, and I would love to return anytime!

Hi

I'm going to Japan in a couple of months...are the used designer handbags cheap at places like Brandoff?

Thank you :smile:

TP

Designer handbags are much more expensive in Japan compared to Europe...
Including second hand and 'vintage' bags.
My impression is (regarding Brandoff) you may get a bag from them ''cheaper'' buying it from them on eb*y than buying at the store.
I was mostly comparing the Chanel prices when I was there though...

My impression is (regarding Brandoff) you may get a bag from them ''cheaper'' buying it from them on eb*y than buying at the store.

I appreciate they're expensive new...same as Bangkok :smile:

I think simply because they have so much used LV it's a lot cheaper :woohoo:

TP

Just read about Japanese "super fakes" :confused1:

Do they really exist?

TP

It's very crowded, but as mundodabolsa says, it's behaved and orderly crowded.

I had a great time in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and Nara, and I would love to return anytime!

Hi vanilje, I am glad you had a great time in Japan! :biggrin: I got back from Osaka and Kyoto in December and I also loved it! Did you end up spending more time in the Tokyo area or the Osaka/Kyoto/Nara area? I also want to go back to Japan. I've visited a few countries but Japan is the only country that when I come home I keep buying books about it to learn more about it.

Hi

I'm going to Japan in a couple of months...are the used designer handbags cheap at places like Brandoff?

Thank you :smile:

TP

I hate to burst your bubble, but designer goods are NOT cheap in Japan (they often get the newest lines first for a reason...). Even brand makeup have significant markup (I checked the back of the Chanel blush a Japanese cousin of mine gave me, and it retails for almost $80 in Japan :huh: [in US, the same one would retail for $58]).

They do have fantastic quality Japanese brands though, so your trip might be a good time to discover new brands =)

I hate to burst your bubble, but designer goods are NOT cheap in Japan (they often get the newest lines first for a reason...). Even brand makeup have significant markup (I checked the back of the Chanel blush a Japanese cousin of mine gave me, and it retails for almost $80 in Japan :huh: [in US, the same one would retail for $58]).

They do have fantastic quality Japanese brands though, so your trip might be a good time to discover new brands =)

New luxury goods are expensive in the whole of Asia because of massive import duties...

A Mulberry Bayswater handbag which is £650 in the UK is £950 in Bangkok....don't even start on BMW's, Mini's and Mercedes :amazed:

However, because of a large supply USED bags seem to be cheaper in Tokyo...

I'll tell you for sure in a few months time ;)

TP

im also going to japan late march and was wondering if any of you had bought tour packages. if so, what did your package include and how much did you get it for? from researching online, looks like it costs almost the same as my airfare. will be there for 6 days and want to explore japan as much as i can. what did you guys buy there specifically during your trip? any beauty product, clothes etc that you recommend me getting not sold here in u.s.?

im also going to japan late march and was wondering if any of you had bought tour packages. if so, what did your package include and how much did you get it for? from researching online, looks like it costs almost the same as my airfare. will be there for 6 days and want to explore japan as much as i can. what did you guys buy there specifically during your trip? any beauty product, clothes etc that you recommend me getting not sold here in u.s.?
I go Japan alot but always do things independantly so can't comment on tour packages sorry.
I live in the UK and the things I tend to buy are things Hello Kitty merchandise as thats where HK is from and you can get lots of Japanese exclusive items. The 100 yen shop is fantastic is like a £1 shop ($1.50)!! I get my false eye lashes from there, Nail items, hello kitty things, home items, pet items, stationary etc. You name it they sell it and the 100 yen shops are all over Japan.
Avoid all known brands and designers as it will cost SO much more than the USA/UK. H&M for example if a pair of jeans in US is $40 in Japan would cost $90.
If you want fashions or costume jewellry go for Japanese brands lots of these shops
in Harajuku it's not very cheapest ( although nothing is in Japan) but very unique, great for gifts and that one one else will have at home.

check www.yokoso-japan.jp for tour packages.

6 days is not a lot of time to visit all of japan but i think the best places to visit would be tokyo, mt. fuji, and kyoto.

there are lots of cute clothing retailers in japan, some popular ones being cecil mcbee, ingni, comme ca, beams, muji, uniqlo, etc.

muji is a cool lifestyle store that carry inexpensive clothes and housewares.

I've been living in Japan for a little over two months now, and although I still think that brand goods/clothes, etc. are significantly more expensive than Canada, I have found a good used clothing chain store that offers some pretty good deals. It's called: Book Off Super Bazaar (not to be confused with the normal "Book Off" chain. Super Bazaar has used books AND clothes in addition to brand bags & houseware).

I usually go to the one in Sakae (in Nagoya) and it is HUGE. The non-Japanese used goods aren't that great of a deal (they had used H&M clothes for ~Y1200-2000), but the Japanese brands like Cecile McBee were about half their normal price (in good condition too).

They organize the brand name clothing by brand so it's really easy to find a certain brand (unfortunately though, it also eliminates the chance of finding a "steal" in a high-end brand). About half of the clothing section is dedicated to the lesser known brands (the brands are all mixed together in this section). They have "200 yen" corners too where they have marked down clothing.

I'd be wary of trying to buy brand name bags from here though if you don't know your reals from fakes. I've seen a few fake Balenciaga bags the last few times I went there (it's pretty easy to tell they're fake though because the leather is stiff & feels off...plus, the price is cheap [~Y3000]). They did have an authentic Rebecca Minkoff Morning After bag for ~Y12000, so you can sometimes find a good deal

I'm heading to Tokyo in June and staying with a friend, but there will be days when I'll be alone in Tokyo and when I'm in Hiroshima, so good tips all round! I like the idea of taking a photograph of the station; thanks!