M/L classic flap chain is glued or sewn?

burberryprncess said:
Just so you know, Chanel has always used both glue and stitching on their chain strap. My 1994, 1996, 2000, and 2009 are a few that I recall are glued. The rest are stitched. Stitched chain strap does not necessarily makes the strap hold out better because I have a stitched chain where the stitching unraveled and had to be repaired. The only problem I've encountered with glued straps is the frayed edges of the suede underside.

You said it best. Just because it is sewn does not guarantee it will not come apart. If this is something they always did, maybe it is for the best. However, uneven gluing is still not excusable. It should at least LOOK well made, if not sewn.

Sent from my Desire HD using PurseForum

So the occlusions I can draw thus far from everyones postings are:

Glueing is the norm for all M/L classic bags except patent leather that is always stitched

Jumbo classics leather regardless of type is always stitched.

Chain size (not the length) but actual size, diameter, thickness of metal for chain, etc, is the same for SLG, mini's, WOC and M/L classic flap bags AND NOT AS BIG AS THE JUMBO AND MAXI CHAINS.

Please add any conclusions drawn but that I have missed;)

So the occlusions I can draw thus far from everyones postings are:

Glueing is the norm for all M/L classic bags except patent leather that is always stitched

Jumbo classics leather regardless of type is always stitched.

Chain size (not the length) but actual size, diameter, thickness of metal for chain, etc, is the same for SLG, mini's, WOC and M/L classic flap bags AND NOT AS BIG AS THE JUMBO AND MAXI CHAINS.

Please add any conclusions drawn but that I have missed;)

Not true. I have a jumbo with glued chain strap.

Frankly, I prefer the stitched look as oppose to the glued straps. It has a more polished look to its finish. What I don't get is why the double standards for what's supposed to be Chanel's most iconic bag?? Where is the QC on this work of art?!!

Frankly, I prefer the stitched look as oppose to the glued straps. It has a more polished look to its finish. What I don't get is why the double standards for what's supposed to be Chanel's most iconic bag?? Where is the QC on this work of art?!!

You guys are really beating this issue (sewn vs. glued) to death. Chanel has always used glue on their straps....plain and simple. Rather one likes it or not, it is what it is.

Do you guys think repaired leather strap will lose more value if I decide to sell it later? I bought my first Chanel jumbo and found out it has been repaired? The leather is too short and doesn't cover 2 of the links. So bummed out... :sad:

image-2647971087.jpg

Actually glue might not be a bad idea for beige bags..When I got my beige flap, all I thought was colour transfer, which I figured could be easily dealt with by sending the bag to a professional cleaner.

Then the lady at the bag spa told me the stitches on the beige bags; those are much much more difficult to clean, and she has had some bags where they can never get them perfectly clean.

I suppose using glue, means less chance of those stitches getting discoloured and makes the bag easier to clean.