M/L classic flap chain is glued or sewn?

ok I am really confused....because .....I have.....the following to compare:

!) a m/l from Dec 2010 (10C) in black patent SHW with stitched leather in chains

2) a rectangular mini in green patent 12P with stitched leather in chains

3) jumbo Pearly caviar with stitched leather chains in chains

4) the vegas dice bag in metallic champagne 12P (very small chain) with double layer of fine leather and glued

Hey,
Your post really made me confused too! Seems like there is inconsistency here.

My 12P pearly mini flap (rectangular) is glued but your 12P green patent has sewn in leather? Now what?? Now that gives me a reason to buy that green patent mini!

So they decide to stitch the patent because patent can only be stitched but not glued is that why? And I figure caviar and lamb can be glued pretty easily so those are glued?

Okay now regarding WHEN they changed to glue, you mentioned your 10C is M/L is stitched. Can anyone go further down and see if you have a year 2011 M/L that is stitched or glued?

Tutushopper just wrote (at another thread) and i quote:

I just checked my 2005 lambskin M/L flap and it's glued :sad: and made in France. I checked a few others, and my vintage mini is also glued and made in France. My 2006 or 2007 Patent chain bag is stitched and made in Italy. I see a pattern here.... I will check my others later and report back.

Now I am just confused! Not sure where we will go with this.

I just checked my m/l flaps...caviar and lambskin are all glued. Patent red is stitched

ForumRunner_20120427_025112.png

ForumRunner_20120427_025245.png

ForumRunner_20120427_025501.png

I only have caviar jumbos and they're all stitched. Don't have lambskin jumbos to compare with. Albeit my collection is a relatively new one (2008-2012)

I think it has to do with the type of leather...apparently even new '12 patents (of all sizes) are still stitched whereas caviar and lambskin are glued. We should narrow it down to what yr did chanel started using glue on the straps for caviar & lambskin bags...I think someone said their 08 caviar is glued. So can anyone with a caviar/lambskin flap older than 08 let us know if the straps are glued or stitched ...

At least 1 thing I am sure now. Seems like patent is always stitched. Now we just need to narrow down to when did Chanel changed the M/L in caviar/lambskin from stitched to glue.

Please post more infos regarding the year/season of your M/L if you could just so we can track this info.

I think it has to do with the type of leather...apparently even new '12 patents (of all sizes) are still stitched whereas caviar and lambskin are glued. We should narrow it down to what yr did chanel started using glue on the straps for caviar & lambskin bags...I think someone said their 08 caviar is glued. So can anyone with a caviar/lambskin flap older than 08 let us know if the straps are glued or stitched ...

My 2005 lambskin M/L flap is glued. Will check the date code on the vintage mini flap later on (cats are cozy). Will also check my others. So we know it goes back earlier than 2005, at least with the made in Paris bags. Those two flap bags I checked are both made in Paris.

hmm I am going to add my 2 cents, unfortunately I don't have multiple bags like you all do nor do I own a brand new bag I like the older ones. But I look at this way stitching although very secure can come apart the same way glue can after time, I am sure since we are talking thousand's and thousand's of dollar bags here that Chanel uses a special glue on there bags and it is probably a lot faster to glue rather then stitch up a bag, since we are also talking about the chain part of the bag if you think about it, it sort of makes more sense that they would glue it as the chain would really be the most worn part of the bag unless you use it as a clutch. It is possible that with metal as the chains are mostly made of can over time either catch a stitch or tear (if I can use that) where the glue is a smooth part that should be very hard to see, still I am surprised that the people working the Chanel store's can't answer a simple why did they switch question, seems to me that Chanel might need to retrain there employee's to provide better customer service. Either way I look at it you are still going to wind up with a beautiful bag and if you have a problem with the strap then Chanel should cover what ever the issue is

Ok double checked my seasonal coco rain lambskin is glued.My single chain classic east west caviar also glued. My woc lambskin also glued chain. My caviar GST is stitched.
So I'm beginning to think probably smaller items have glued chains? I only have 1 made in France bag, d rest r all Italy, so couldn't be specific to either country.

My 12P lavender M/L has glued chain.
The jumbo cavier is stitched chain.
I don't have my lambie with me ATM.
The WOC is a strip of leather.

Just so you know, Chanel has always used both glue and stitching on their chain strap. My 1994, 1996, 2000, and 2009 are a few that I recall are glued. The rest are stitched. Stitched chain strap does not necessarily makes the strap hold out better because I have a stitched chain where the stitching unraveled and had to be repaired. The only problem I've encountered with glued straps is the frayed edges of the suede underside.

Reactions: Kespin22
Just so you know, Chanel has always used both glue and stitching on their chain strap. My 1994, 1996, 2000, and 2009 are a few that I recall are glued. The rest are stitched. Stitched chain strap does not necessarily makes the strap hold out better because I have a stitched chain where the stitching unraveled and had to be repaired. The only problem I've encountered with glued straps is the frayed edges of the suede underside.

Very good point! My 2006 m/l caviar flap has a glued strap too.