Books & Music anyone reading "50 shades of grey" trilogy?

I flipped through the 1st book to get a feel for it and if she wrote "oh, sh-t" or called the guy hot one more time, I was gonna lose it. I couldn't read any more after that. Terrible writing. The girl says "argh" during sex on more than one occasion. Um, what?

I started reading the fanfic this is based on. It was so, so horribly written, it was beyond description! I didn't even get to the sex parts (and that doesn't bother me on principle, so I wouldn't necessarily take issue with that at all...)

I felt like a third grader wrote it. I couldn't get the voice of a preteen girl out of my head the entire time. I was trying to find out how much was 'revised' (ie: get an editor, more like a ghost writer, in there to make sure it reads like something nearing a professional level) and I was so shocked to discover that they barely touched it! I cannot imagine anything worse than reading about graphic sex and imagining a third grader sitting there writing it. That concept scares me beyond words.

K my friend said these books were awesome so I bought the first one for my kindle after reading the sample let me tell u I bought that book at 430 couldn't put it down stayed up til 1130 finishing it. Yea the writing didn't bother me cause the story just held my attention. Very few books am i like omg I can't put it down but this one was great so I will b getting 2 and 3 very excited!!

Not reading it and not planning on it. It's not the sex or the graphic nature of it. I have a bigger issue with the portrayal of gender roles in a relationship. Kinda like my issue with Twilight.

It was called "Master of The Universe". The author of "Fifty Shades" was the author of the fanfic, which was written as Edward and Bella erotica, heavy on the BDSM theme. And it's really descriptive of BDSM lingo. I had no idea!

If this theme is uncomfortable for you, then don't read it...seriously.

The author changed it to non-Vampire and Christian/Ana for the book publication. Christian is more of a stalker than Edward and although Ana is smarter than Bella, she still has a lot of idiotic moments. You will definitely enjoy plenty of eye rolling moments.

That's really interesting, I had no idea. Not sure if the backstory compels me to read it more, or less. I'm so naive, I had no idea there was Twilight erotica.

I did download the first "Shades of Grey", but it's in my "later" stash.

I started reading the fanfic this is based on. It was so, so horribly written, it was beyond description! I didn't even get to the sex parts (and that doesn't bother me on principle, so I wouldn't necessarily take issue with that at all...)

I felt like a third grader wrote it. I couldn't get the voice of a preteen girl out of my head the entire time. I was trying to find out how much was 'revised' (ie: get an editor, more like a ghost writer, in there to make sure it reads like something nearing a professional level) and I was so shocked to discover that they barely touched it! I cannot imagine anything worse than reading about graphic sex and imagining a third grader sitting there writing it. That concept scares me beyond words.

I hate to say this but...if you were imagining a third grader sitting and writing a graphic sex novel, that's really scary. (I don't think you meant it like that. After all, I've seen you on here for years!).

Anyway from what I've read, the books have been edited. I thought they were quite good for what they were. I enjoyed them.

I read a passage from the book online, and it's laughably bad. I like how people are reading it & pretending it's not erotica.

I love the Fifty Shades books, best I've read in a long time! I don't think I would have enjoyed it as Master of the Universe as I would have found the names Edward and Bella distracting and it is so different from Twilight. I read through all three in 2 days, I just could not stop. Now I'm going through the withdrawl that comes after a really good book/series. If this is an example of bad writing I'll take more please! :biggrin:

I'm looking forward to the movie!