Travel NEW ORLEANS! tips - questions - advice

Mediana: Do you go on www.cruisecritic.com at all? Lots of great info on there about excursions and ports.

If you have any questions about your cruise ports, just let me know. Or about New Orleans....I don't know all the little details like the locals, but I've got all the touristy stuff down pat.

Don't forget to add Mother's Restaurant to your list of places to go in NO.

somewhere in Texas could be fun. you said SA was an option, very interesting city. i live 3 hours away in houston and i always enjoy weekend trips down to San Antonio. the riverwalk is awesome, it's below street level with tons of restaurants shops bars clubs. i suggest staying somewhere on or near the riverwalk, as its near all the action. you can take boat rides along the river as well as boat tours. within walking distance are a lot of historical texas landmarks like the alamo. from san antonio you could visit austin or houston, tons to do in each. my lovely state won't be as scorching hot in february either, it's usually in the 50s in feb.

Headed to New Orleans this weekend :yahoo: I've been before but during Essence Fest and a family reunion and I was on the go all those times, this time I just want to really experience N.O. It'll be my bf's first trip there so I'll need to comb through this thread and make sure we check out some good spots :smile:

Just went to NOLA a few weeks ago--love, love, love that city!
*Ate at "Dominica" (a Besh restaurant) and wasn't impressed.
* Had dinner at The Italian Barrel-- SO good-- beat cappuccino I've
Ever had.
* LOVE Irene's, but didn't get a chance to go there
this time.

Wear flats or tinier-heeled flip-flops, for sure.

I came back on Wednesday, had been in "Nawlins" since Saturday and had a blast.

Ate beignets at Cafe Du Monde, BBQ shrimp and fried, stuffed shrimp at Deaners, a fried shrimp Po Boy at Olde Nawlins Eatery and bananas foster at Palace cafe.

We enjoyed the street performers on Bourbon street as well as the Hurricanes!

We wandered in and out of the many night spots in the French Quarter and finally settled in an air conditioned sport with an awesome blues band. I ordered a bottle of beer for $6.75 which wasn't bad considering the live band and no cover but imagine my surprise when the waittress brought 3 bottles! For $6.75!

I'll post pics in a bit.

I'll post pics in a bit.

SAM_0409.jpg

SAM_0407.jpg

na18.jpg

na19.jpg

na12.jpg

To all you tPF ladies who love NO... how is it for travel in March/April? I don't want to go for the crowds of Mardi Gras but I don't like going to a ghost town for vacation either. :smile: Plus it's a little late to book, and I'll get more bang for my buck if I wait a month...

Where do you recommend to stay, eat, do, etc. for a very laid back couple? I definately want a hotel in the French Quarter... wouldn't mind traveling out of NO for a day either...

I'm biased but I think New Orleans is always a great time. I can't really think of a time when it's a ghost town. There are festivals all the time. If you're into music, I'd suggest going during JazzFest, which is the last weekend in April and first weekend in May. It's a great time.
http://www.nojazzfest.com/

I went to NO for Mardi Gras last year and stayed at the Crowne Plaza just on the edge of the French Quarter-great hotel, great location. Good price and the staff were lovely! Very pleased with it x