Price increase

Gotta love LVMH!

Hate to sound judgmental, but anyone who rushes to buy, to 'beat the increase', is just encouraging this nonsense.

Prices have to go up, from time to time, of course, but this (especially with the cynical forewarning, every time!) is clearly artificial and just designed to make people part with their money.

I agree that a rushed purchase is generally not a good idea, but I disagree that making a planned purchase ahead of schedule to beat the increase is a bad idea. I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't have a BV boutique near me, and the local department store selection is poor, so I can be considering a bag purchase for months. I mulled over getting a nero Veneta for six months before I finally decided to get it. I knew I wanted it, and I had the money for it, but I just wasn't in a hurry. If I were in that situation now, where I knew I'd wanted the nero Veneta for a while and knew I'd get it eventually, I'd buy to beat the increase.

This discussion makes me wonder about the opposite case--news of price decreases (during the sale). Surely there are some who are influenced by the idea of getting something at a lower price than the standard price. Sales are designed to encourage people to buy, too. I'd guess that more regretful purchases come from sale time than at price increase time, but I'm not as much an avid shopper as others, and I could be way off.

I have noticed fewer reveals and bags hitting the outlets sooner. Do love the elegant understated BV look but not at 15% more. I'm not sure that the price increase is a valid approach long term.

Anybody considering a bayswater DO IT! I have three. Darwin leather gets more beautiful with age ( like women!!)

I agree that a rushed purchase is generally not a good idea, but I disagree that making a planned purchase ahead of schedule to beat the increase is a bad idea. I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't have a BV boutique near me, and the local department store selection is poor, so I can be considering a bag purchase for months. I mulled over getting a nero Veneta for six months before I finally decided to get it. I knew I wanted it, and I had the money for it, but I just wasn't in a hurry. If I were in that situation now, where I knew I'd wanted the nero Veneta for a while and knew I'd get it eventually, I'd buy to beat the increase.

This discussion makes me wonder about the opposite case--news of price decreases (during the sale). Surely there are some who are influenced by the idea of getting something at a lower price than the standard price. Sales are designed to encourage people to buy, too. I'd guess that more regretful purchases come from sale time than at price increase time, but I'm not as much an avid shopper as others, and I could be way off.

Well, the reason it's a bad idea, is that it encourages them to do it (i.e. huge, forewarned, price hikes), more and more; which, along with destroying unsold items (which I believe LVMH also do? Although, not sure whether they do it with their BV stuff?), results in the market never being allowed to find anywhere near its true level.

It's a bit like rewarding an already naughty child, for threatening to be even naughtier soon;

'I know I have been shouting at you every day, for six months, for no good reason, mother - but you'd better buy me that icecream now, anyway, as I intend to start spitting on you, repeatedly, in half an hour's time!'! :lol:

Yes, I agree that the whole sale debacle is often pretty silly, too, because they severely overcharge, with the idea of then holding fake 60% off sales, or whatever; but there is something even more pernicious with this; 'Quick, quick, buy now at our already overinflated prices, or forever regret it!' nonsense, IMO.

Well, the reason it's a bad idea, is that it encourages them to do it (i.e. huge, preforewarned, price hikes), more and more; which, along with destroying unsold items (which I believe LVMH also do? Although, not sure whether they do it with their BV stuff?), results in the market never being allowed to find anywhere near its true level.

It's a bit like rewarding an already naughty child, for threatening to be even naughtier soon;

'I know I have been shouting at you every day, for six months, for no good reason, mother - but you'd better buy me that icecream now, anyway, as I intend to start spitting on you, repeatedly, in half an hour's time!'! :lol:

Yes, I agree that the whole sale debacle is often pretty silly, too, because they severely overcharge, with the idea of then holding fake 60% off sales, or whatever; but there is something even more pernicious with this; 'Quick, quick, buy now at our already overinflated prices, or forever regret it!' nonsense, IMO.

Well, we disagree. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not interpreting this price increase as being a scheme by BV or their test of a business model. I don't think they're necessarily trying to manipulate customers into buying quickly (although some pushy SAs might use it that way, that hasn't been my experience). I think it's just simply a price increase. It happens.

By the way, BV is not LVMH, and they don't destroy their old stock. They don't have "fake 60% off sales," either. Very little goes on sale lately, and it's usually 30%. Most things actually sell at full price and never go on sale at the boutiques (different story at other retailers).

prices go up everywhere
have you seen the price of a gallon of milk lately
I live is SNJ where gas prices have not hit $4 yet
gas here is $3.71 A gallon of milk is now $3.89
Nobody is complaining about the cost of milk going up???? of course it is not 20%
don't you want you SA to get a raise LOL
they won't but........
everything goes up nothing comes down

Well, we disagree. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not interpreting this price increase as being a scheme by BV or their test of a business model. I don't think they're necessarily trying to manipulate customers into buying quickly (although some pushy SAs might use it that way, that hasn't been my experience). I think it's just simply a price increase. It happens.

By the way, BV is not LVMH, and they don't destroy their old stock. They don't have "fake 60% off sales," either. Very little goes on sale lately, and it's usually 30%. Most things actually sell at full price and never go on sale at the boutiques (different story at other retailers).

Um, BV is owned by LVMH (and has been for some time). So, yes, it is LVMH, now (to all intents and purposes).

I was talking generally about fake 60% off sales - I assumed you were referring to other design houses, as well, in respect to sales, not just BV?

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

It is Bernhard Arnault's/LVMH's business model, to do this steep price increase thing - he appears to introduce this model to every brand he takes over, to one extent or another.

I think BV is owned by the Gucci Group which is owned by PPR...

Oh, is it?

God, where did I read that, then?!

OK, well scrap what I've been saying then, obviously! :lol:

I shouldn't believe everything I read, clearly! :rolleyes:

Having said that, I think other groups may be looking, more and more, towards LVMH for their business model; as they've been so successful? Which I still find a rather worrying trend.

Um, BV is owned by LVMH (and has been for some time). So, yes, it is LVMH, now (to all intents and purposes).

I was talking generally about fake 60% off sales - I assumed you were referring to other design houses, as well, in respect to sales, not just BV?

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

It is Bernhard Arnault's/LVMH's business model, to do this steep price increase thing - he appears to introduce this model to every brand he takes over, to one extent or another.

Actually, BV is owned by the Gucci Group, which is in turn owned by PRP.
Now, this price increase could be a matter of corporate maneuvering - Robert Polet (The Ice Cream Man Commeth) is stepping down as CEO and is going to be replaced by F-H Pinault. I would be very interested to see if the other GG companies are planning a hike. I don't see any rumors on the board, however.

In 1999, there was a dramatic bidding war, with LVMH attempting to acquire GG. PRP swooped in and was their white knight. Of course, the white knight wasn't content to just let things lie - five years later (2004), PRP enforced their own vision and management, and Ford and DeSole were out.

Other PRP companies include Balenciaga, Boucheron, YSL, Sergio Rossi, Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen.

I'm done for now, too.

Ah, well, I never said I was consistent (even from day to day it seems) :whistle:

I'm getting the following for Mother's Day. Been thinking of replacing my current zip coin purse and have been eyeing the perlier since it came out a while back. Free ship, too! Thanks, "B"!! :biggrin:

http://www.bottegaveneta.com/defaul...ts":{"263896VQQ571":{"size":"U","color":"1000

Blueiris - I totally agree. Most of the purchases I regret were made during "sales" lol!

Actually, BV is owned by the Gucci Group, which is in turn owned by PRP.
Now, this price increase could be a matter of corporate maneuvering - Robert Polet (The Ice Cream Man Commeth) is stepping down as CEO and is going to be replaced by F-H Pinault. I would be very interested to see if the other GG companies are planning a hike. I don't see any rumors on the board, however.

In 1999, there was a dramatic bidding war, with LVMH attempting to acquire GG. PRP swooped in and was their white knight. Of course, the white knight wasn't content to just let things lie - five years later (2004), PRP enforced their own vision and management, and Ford and DeSole were out.

Other PRP companies include Balenciaga, Boucheron, YSL, Sergio Rossi, Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen.

Yes, I now know - I've been suitably corrected for my schoolboy error!

I actually have a feeling I do know where I read that, as well and no one corrected the poster (as far as I saw?), so I just assumed (with ass being the operative syllable, naturally!) they must be correct! :nogood: :shame: :lol:

All very interesting.

So, a White Knight with a hidden agenda, then? Don't they all have, though?!

i have regretted both sale and beat the price increase spending. so now i just try to procede normally. i wonder what the cabat has gone up to? does anyone know. also the campana? was thinking of that also. i think the risk bv takes by raising prices is that they are fast approaching hermes prices. not that those that like bv will want h anyway but if they are almost the same price point then who knows. a lot of the recent cabats have been in hermes territory price wise. special orders can only be exotics- i can only speak for myself but i have been wandering back to the orange side lately.

Last edited: