Antique Peranakan Jewellery

spapeter, I thought you were a Nonya but you're a Baba :smile:
Eve, i am neither!!! just a native chinese from Borneo!!!!.

I cant get the scanned images uploaded into this forum even when i set the quality to 5 (out of 10) still too large... so here is the link...

http://picasaweb.google.com/spapeter/ChristieSingapore#5539658921429941730

The quality of the scan really does not give justice to the sparkle and fineness of the workmanship...they are so exquisite in the photos

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing spapeter. The kerosang is truly a work of art! It must have belonged to a very well-to-do Nonya. Were there any bracelets or bangles featured in the Christies catalogues?

Eve, ya that kerosang was special. i saw others just as beautiful sets with rose cut diamonds but they were only a fraction of that price. I also noticed that there were yearly sales during the 70s but too bad i managed to get only 2 copies of the fabulous catalogues.

There were bracelets on sale too so here are some samples for your viewing pleasure....the description for the pieces are in the comments just below the photos. Go back to previous post for the link to the album...cheerio

Last edited:
Thanks again spapeter for the effort! The jewellery in the auction are very much of a different quality from the ones you can find in shops now. I wish I could also get hold of the old copies of the Christies catalogues. Yearly sales in the 70s! It's no wonder these type of jewellery are so rare now. I wonder who the buyers were back then.

Yearly sales in the 70s!
Sorry Eve, i meant to type 90s!! minta maaf...sudah tua loh....

The photo album is a bit erractic . There should be some comments below each photo... If you use the enlarge button, the picture would come up quite nicely......do you have any problem viewing the photo? I need to refresh the page to see properly...sigh!!!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/spapeter/Nonya#

Last edited:
Hi There. I am new around this subforum. I hope you don't mind me dropping by to a couple of questions? I had some two years ago purchased a set of Kerosang from a little shop upstairs at Tanglin Shopping Centre. The shop was filled with antique Peranakan jewelries. So, silly me, I just assumed they were selling all old pieces. They knew I was interested in antique pieces. But somehow they failed to tell me that they were also selling more 'modern' pieces, most importantly, that the item I was looking to buy was made in the last 20 years or so. I did not ask too many questions and bought the set only to find out later that they were not at all "old". I don't mind newer pieces, but, I would not have paid what I paid for them had I known that they are recently made, although they are beautiful. I was most disappointed with their attitude. And the beautiful Kerosangs have ever since left a bit of bad taste in my mouth.

I certainly will not be going back there for more.

My questions are:

(1) do any of you know of this seller / store?
(2) can I ask someone here if there is a way, and if so where can I go to get these Kerosang valued? I think I have paid way too much for them. But what I mostly hope for with having a proper valuation on the Kerosang is so that I can provide a proper documentation of the Kerosang, when I approach jewelry stores here (I am not in Asia right now, and not a lot of people know about Kerosang around here), as I prefer to be respectable and upfront about these things

Thank you so much in advance! :flowers:

And the beautiful Kerosangs have ever since left a bit of bad taste in my mouth.

bagpunk, i love peranakan jewellery and had made a few bad decisions in my purchases. It always depend on how badly the purchaser want a particular piece. This recent encounter i had resulted me paying quite a bit. Most of my acquaintances said i am stupid but it all right. I know these are hard to come by and i dont want to miss it.

your "new" piece would be more valuable if it was made locally by old craftsman in singapore or malaysia. many new ones imported from cambodia or vietnam or china are cheaper but inferior in quality...is there a photo of your kerongsang?

:flowers:

Thanks for your reply! They are not with me at the moment. Will post as soon as I can. As soon as I had them with me at home I knew something was not right, that was when I called them up and asked if they had been "new", my precise words were, were they made in the last 20-30 years and her answer was yes. Although technically they have not done anything wrong, and they have not lied, I knew right then that something was less than honorable. All the time that I was in their shop, all we chatted about were antiques. I went through the whole transaction in good faith, completely trusting them not only to sell, but advise me on them. A big mistake. A huge difference between exceptional sellers and those who are not so much is not only honesty, which technically they can claim they have, but most importantly integrity. I hope I am the only schmuck who spend my hard earned dollars there.

I often "overpay" for things but in a way which I feel is worth the price personally to me and not to the wider "market". But this is not one of those cases. Even though as I said, these were lovely as well. They are silver with tiny pale emeralds scattered all over them.

Thanks again for your response, I will post as soon as I can which may not be until later this year! Bear with me!

Beautiful pieces spapeter!

I second Foundation Jewellers for new peranakan pieces as well. I stumbled upon them at a jewelry fair at Marina Bay Sands and purchased a pair of jade earrings from them. I will try to take a picture and post it.

I am dead meat.... got myself another kerosang from the shop...expensive but the intricate design just got me wanting to go back and have another look...ended up with it....got myself 3 bracelets too.... a bit short and two of them have missing security chains but i love them.... there are still 50 + pieces of necklaces, bracelets, brooches including a "queen size" kerosang set sitting in that shop!!!