My new bag stinks :(

What about LMB- Odor Out Bag Candies?

http://www.lovinmybags.com/bagcandies.html

From what I've read here, and from what one of my friends said after using them, I wouldn't recommend them to the OP. They leave the bag smelling "sickeningly sweet" and are just perfume-y.

I've heard good things about Cedar Magic. I have also had luck hanging my smelly bag OUTSIDE in the sun and open air. It worked wonders for one of my leather bags (ebay purchase as well). Maybe this will help until your Cedar Magic arrives. I wouldn't risk spraying vodka on one of my leather bags... is this bag leather?

Quit spraying it with stuff. If the cedar magic doesn't work, then send it back.. For 3 grand I am sure you can find another one. It isn't like you only paid $500 for it.

I'm not certain if it's mildew/mold or if it's just a strong stale smell. It's very clean, it's just the smell... and it's Mahina leather and gris (white/grey) so I'd be afraid to put vodka on it. I haven't sprayed the leather at all. I don't plan to.

All I have done is place it in a perfumed bathroom for 10 minutes, then sprayed the inner lining with febreeze twice - made no difference, though it does have a light febreeze smell.

I bought odour eating powder that contains baking soda and an antibacterial powder... left it in the suitcase overnight and it's probably 30% better, so I'll give it another couple of days in there. I really just need to get this cedar magic, sounds like I might have more luck with that.

Thanks everyone for your advice :smile:

Just discovered the seller bought this bag herself under a month ago.... no doubt sold it because of the odour :/

Funny that she went into detail about how it was stored in her closet and well ventilated, couldn't possibly smell of tobacco bec. they don't smoke etc etc.. no mention that she had it only a month herself! :sad:

Last time I buy a designer bag on ebay!

^that is SNAD

who gives a hoot about you placing it in a perfumes room for ten minutes? say your room "naturally" smells like that (hell, abercrombie sprays their room all the time--) and sprayed it with frebreeze?

the seller a) lied
and b) left you to deal with the smell--

definitely send it back..

Just discovered the seller bought this bag herself under a month ago.... no doubt sold it because of the odour :/

Funny that she went into detail about how it was stored in her closet and well ventilated, couldn't possibly smell of tobacco bec. they don't smoke etc etc.. no mention that she had it only a month herself! :sad:

Last time I buy a designer bag on ebay!

OMG I am so sorry this is happening to you! I almost bought that same bag too! :nuts: I would have in a second if it was the L.

Anyway, since it is such a rare bag, I would do whatever you can to get the smell out, if not, send it back.

Did the seller admit to buying it recently or you figured it out? If you sent it back to her, couldnt she still file a SNAD from whomever she bought it from?
PS Where was it original purchased?

OP: I have tried two things that work for ANY smell. 1) whole roasted coffee beans. Put these beans in your bag, zip it up, put bag in a large plastic bag, store for a couple of days. The smell will be gone. You'll have a smell of coffee beans but that won't last and it's not covering up the musty smell.

The other thing if you have access to it: expose the bag to some ozone. I have a friend who runs a business "staging" condos. He uses ozone to clean out condos/apartments and in heavy situations like a fire or flood where there's mildew and mold - a couple hours of ozone and not only is the smell gone but every spore is gone too. Good luck.

I went through their feedback and saw they bought this same bag under a month ago, same receipts etc...

I'd asked questions prior to this transaction and was told they had simply stored it since new, and it looks like it did when it was brand new....they had all original receipts etc and were selling because she has a black one already.

so I've just emailed the link to when they purchased and asked how could they insist that the odour didn't exist due to their well ventilated closet when they had only had it a month? and that I would like to send this back for a refund...

I specifically asked if the bag had any odours! :sad:

and this was the reply:

"I received your email about returning the LV Mahina. I must
inform you that my return policy is only "guaranteed to
authenticity" and nothing else. The bag was new as described
and I did not have any issue with smells. I purchased the bag for
my wife, however she wanted a lighter color, hence the reason
for reselling it. She bought the white and black, therefore did
not want to keep the "Gris" color. I am extremely sorry, however
I will not accept a return of the bag. You asked many questions
and I answer each and every one before shipping the bag to you.
Thank you for your understanding."

The bag still smells musty, this is so unfair.... I don't know, I'm thinking I should perhaps just open a dispute and return it, one will show up on a consignment site eventually.

OMG I am so sorry this is happening to you! I almost bought that same bag too! :nuts: I would have in a second if it was the L.

Anyway, since it is such a rare bag, I would do whatever you can to get the smell out, if not, send it back.

Did the seller admit to buying it recently or you figured it out? If you sent it back to her, couldnt she still file a SNAD from whomever she bought it from?
PS Where was it original purchased?

Hi itsonly4me :smile: I thought you had the Mahina XL gris already? I thought it was you that had a modelling pic up a while back?

No they didn't admit to buying it, just replied that it's authentic and sorry they don't accept returns, they just sold it because she had a black and white - which contradicts another email before the purchase saying she would never use a totally white bag?? ...and the bizarre thing is that they both left each other positive feedback from that transaction?

The seller went into detail about how she has allergies against mold and grass etc etc and how her bags would never smell in her closet - no mention that she had had it a month? They did however resell it for a $200 profit.

It was purchased from Saks, she told me about how the SA told her the gris xl were so popular when she bought it, yet she didnt' even purchase it herself anyway?!

Unless she figured leaving neg would show on her feedback and she had better chance of reselling for a profit... I don't really understand that. It's not a smell you could miss, my husband took a step back after he smelt it, it has managed to stink out our room from sitting on a chair for an hour.

I stopped buying on ebay for quite a while, unless I knew the seller, and took a risk on this one... never again!

Last edited:
OP: I have tried two things that work for ANY smell. 1) whole roasted coffee beans. Put these beans in your bag, zip it up, put bag in a large plastic bag, store for a couple of days. The smell will be gone. You'll have a smell of coffee beans but that won't last and it's not covering up the musty smell.

The other thing if you have access to it: expose the bag to some ozone. I have a friend who runs a business "staging" condos. He uses ozone to clean out condos/apartments and in heavy situations like a fire or flood where there's mildew and mold - a couple hours of ozone and not only is the smell gone but every spore is gone too. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice, what is ozone? I've never heard of it, is it toxic, would it dry out the leather?