Our beautiful Old English Sheepdog just died!

Thanks Chessmont, so right no words to express the soreness of heart & the feelings of loss.
Denimshopaholic, thanks for taking the time amidst your loss to come in here. I am so sorry about your Salem, I am glad that you are getting some peace from photographs, I just can't not yet.

Thanks he432, I know he is not in pain anymore, that is my only consolation.

OMG I am so sorry. :hugs: I know what it is like to loose a pet. I went through it twice in one year 7 years ago and I don't wish that upon anyone. The fact your loss was so sudden must be difficult. Hang in there and know that he is no longer in pain and he had a very good life with you and your family.

BagAngel - I am so sorry for your and your family's loss. It is so heartbreaking to lose a furbaby especially when they just seemed fine a few days prior. I know the pain you feel right now as I felt the same way after losing Lola - one of the most painful experiences I have had to endure. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and I will light a candle for Digby so he has a safe journey to the Rainbow Bridge...

Lend Me a Pup
Author Unknown

I will lend to you for awhile
a pup, God said,
For you to love her while she lives
and to mourn for her when she is gone.
Maybe for twelve or fourteen years,
or maybe for two or three
But will you, till I call her back,
take care of her for me?

She'll bring her charms to gladden you
and (should her stay be brief)
you'll always have her memories
as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise that she will stay,
since all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught below
I want this pup to learn.

I've looked the whole world over
in search of teachers true
And from the folk that crowd life's land
I have chosen you.
Now will you give her all your love
Nor think the labor vain
Nor hate me when I come to take my pup back again.

I fancied that I heard them say
"Dear Lord Thy Will Be Done,"
For all the joys this pup will bring,
the risk of grief you'll run.
Will you shelter her with tenderness
Will you love her while you may
And for the happiness you'll know forever grateful stay.

But should I call her back
much sooner than you've planned
Please brave the bitter grief that comes
and try to understand.
If, by your love, you've managed
my wishes to achieve,
In memory of her that you've loved,
cherish every moment with your faithful bundle,
and know she loved you too.

Thanks everyone. Kookai that poem made me cry, it is so nice, thanks for posting. So sorry about Lola :sad:

Digby's lifelong pal, our Lhasa Apso is just so very sad, he needs petting all the time & then just curls up to sleep. He really is depressed. Our Yorkie puppy wants to play of course & he is just annoying him. I am keeping them apart as much as possible.

Last edited:
Here are the two dogs. Russell is 12 now. Taylor is 10 months, he is so cheeky, lol!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• dogs 001 (Small).jpg
    dogs 001 (Small).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 124
  • dogs 002 (Small).jpg
    dogs 002 (Small).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 123
Awww, they look so sweet! I hope you are doing ok. I can't imagine how tragic that must have been to have found your sweet boy like that :sad: With Boomer, it was expected, we had a time and a place and that was awful enough, but for Digby to pass so unexpectedly! I am so sorry!

None of your babies will be lonely over the Rainbow Bridge. My cat Lucky is up there and he's playing with all of them.

My thoughts and prayers (and hugs) are will all of you.

oh sweetie... :hugs: don't worry, he's up where he gets a sirloin steak everyday 3 times a day! and one day, he'll be at the golden gates to greet u... stay strong~ i'm sure he loves u very much.

Thanks everyone, not only is my heart breaking for Digby but for Russell also. He has been lying like this since 4pm it is now 1.30am. He won't eat or drink just sleeping. he wakes up when I pet him & then curls up again. I have even lifted water dish up to his mouth, he refuses & he usually drinks a lot. This is awful! When Taylor goes near him he growls & snaps so not like him, I guess he is saying "Go away you are not my pal" I hope he doesn't go downhill now :sad: He just looks so very sad, hasn't even been to the toilet!

attachment.php

Attachments

• dogs (Small).jpg
    dogs (Small).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 157
Thanks everyone, not only is my heart breaking for Digby but for Russell also. He has been lying like this since 4pm it is now 1.30am. He won't eat or drink just sleeping. he wakes up when I pet him & then curls up again. I have even lifted water dish up to his mouth, he refuses & he usually drinks a lot. This is awful! When Taylor goes near him he growls & snaps so not like him, I guess he is saying "Go away you are not my pal" I hope he doesn't go downhill now :sad: He just looks so very sad, hasn't even been to the toilet!

They are feeling your pain and your family's pain, Roz. Dogs can do that. They'll come around in time. Don't worry about it. Let them have their space. If not eating or drinking goes on for very long, you should consider a visit to the vet. He might actually have something going on that needs to be checked out.

When you mentioned not wanting to deal with a picture earlier, I thought I'd share this: When Sam died 2 1/2 years ago, I had my favorite photo of him (the one in my signature) enlarged to a 12x14 size, bought a nice frame and hung it in the living room. He was strong and healthy in that photo and it's kind of like he's watching over us.

You might also want to think about setting up a Residency page on Rainbows Bridge's website. We also did that for Sam. It was very therapeutic for both me and DH. We were destroyed when Sam died, but writing about the happy times really helped us move on.

:hugs: