Our beautiful Old English Sheepdog just died!

Thanks Prada. I will just keep an eye on Russell. He & Digby were around the same age & have been together day & night since puppies. I guess he is just missing him like we are. It has to be strange for him, they slept together, now he sleeps alone. Taylor is very much a newcomer to the situation & doesn't have the same bond.

I guess we all cope in different ways so nice that you can have a picture of Sam watching over you. I just cannot bear it. My Dane is dead a long time & if pictures are brought out I turn away. I don't know why I do that I guess just my coping mechanism to avoid more pain. I had to have everything of Digby's put away, it's no being cold or callous, he is in my heart & my head forever but I just have to stop crying, it's been almost 3 days now & it's just as bad & everytime I see anything belonging to him I sob my heart out. So for now I have to engage in avoidance behaviour.

Sam was such a gorgeous dog! I will look into the Rainbow Bridge page in time, thanks Prada

Last edited:
Prada, I saw your page about Sam...was he an Aussie? He was beautiful. I have pics of Boomie near his ashes. I have a little shrine made up of pics, his ashes and the sympathy cards I received. Over 2 yrs later, I look at the pics and still cry.

I'm so sorry about Russell. He does look like he lost his best friend :sad: Poor sweetheart.

I understand putting everything away. I did too, at first. Then, slowly, as time passed, I took things out. It's always hard though to look at his old things. Hugs to you, Bag Angel.

oh, Im so sorry...
Ive ended up in tears reading the posts.

Zitta, my Lhasa Apso, died in December 1997 but I still think of her, how lovely and playful she was..we found her abandoned in the street when she was a very young dog and she lived in our family for 9 years.

BagAngel, I am late to this thread but I wanted to express my sorrow over your loss and to reassure you that your other dogs will heal in time. We lost our dear Violet very suddenly last month and our other two dogs were very sad--it was almost harder to look into their confused, mournful faces than it was to see the empty space where Violet used to be. But it has been almost a month and they are doing much better. I think they are forgetting about her which I suppose is best for them. Hang in there.

Roz, have only just discovered your bad news, I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss. I know how sad Indi was the one night Harvey spent at the Vets a couple of years ago when he had heat exhaustion - it's even more heartbreaking than your own emotional pain and sadness to witness that of an animal, and I hope Russell picks up soon for all your sakes.

As for Digby, you know where he is now - romping in heaven, strong and fit and proud again, no longer weakened by age and pain, and he'll be guarding over you all from up there now and from your hearts instead of from beside your feet. Makes me smile to imagine your big Sheepie and your old Great Dane having a ball up there together, and I hope it's not long too until you can think of them both and smile again rather than cry.

Big hugs, lady. Thinking of you all. :hugs::heart:

Thanks so much everyone. I know that time will heal, at least not make it my every waking thought. I just hate getting up in the mornings & him not there wagging his tail.

I am so glad though that Digby now has legs that he can use to run & bound like he used to love doing.

Russell is eating this morning so that is good.

BagAngel - just wanted to say I've been thinking about you today. When Clydie, my cat, passed away earlier this year, his partner-in-crime, Bella, took it really badly.
Days of crying, clinging to me - it was heartbreaking losing Clyde, made worse by seeing her suffer.
All I can say is that it wil pass and become easier for you all to bear. Not something that helps at the moment, I know.....
I'm glad Russell is eating today.
Keeping you in my prayers.

bagangel- I read your post yesterday but I couldn't bring myself to comment...I had to go and run and hug and kiss my own babies. It makes me so sad how their life is so fragile and how they can be taken away so fast. But please be happy that you did have years of happiness with him and he wouldn't want you to be sad for long w/out him.

Your other babies are so cute :heart: Russell probably misses his best friend terribly....the only remedy I can think of is to spend more time with him and let him know that he still has you :smile: Please keep us updated with how the other babies (human and furkids) are coping.

Thanks so much, you are all so kind & it perks me up midst the tears to read here. I don't think the tears will ever stop. There is just such a large hole in the family, he was a big dog in every way! I feel like there is a weight on my head which will never lift! I suppose also it is the end of an era, we have always had large dogs & this will definitely be the last. No way am I going through this again!

So sorry about Clydie Clevercat, it just sucks.

Thanks everyone, not only is my heart breaking for Digby but for Russell also. He has been lying like this since 4pm it is now 1.30am. He won't eat or drink just sleeping. he wakes up when I pet him & then curls up again. I have even lifted water dish up to his mouth, he refuses & he usually drinks a lot. This is awful! When Taylor goes near him he growls & snaps so not like him, I guess he is saying "Go away you are not my pal" I hope he doesn't go downhill now :sad: He just looks so very sad, hasn't even been to the toilet!

attachment.php

Poor boy... he's mourning the loss of his friend right now - our golden (who has since passed) did it after our last great dane died, he moped for a while but returned to his old self - your boy will do the same. The puppy probably doesn't really get what has happened but his presence will help everyone (you and your family included) feel better soon.

Poor boy... he's mourning the loss of his friend right now - our golden (who has since passed) did it after our last great dane died, he moped for a while but returned to his old self - your boy will do the same. The puppy probably doesn't really get what has happened but his presence will help everyone (you and your family included) feel better soon.

Oh you had Danes also he432, such fabulous dogs, I miss mine so much but will not go through the heartbreak again.
Yes the puppy was not with those two so much. The two old men more or less dismissed him as annoying LOL!