Your opinions in buying jewelry instead of H

It very much depends for me its truly not easy since I love bigger more elaborate pieces thus I do buy some branded pieces because the design itself matters to me like for instance I'm waiting on an all pave white diamond panther ring from Cartier the large panther head and for that I would gladly give up croc at H but if it's not such an important specimen and you are putting together stones to create the illusion of grandeur I have to say go H or save for a large diamond again it's very personal but I do like the certification and ease of mind that comes from buying Harry Winston cartier or Graff. That said I also have jeweler that from time to time proposes beautiful things but............ Again it's all personal but theese things should not even raise a question darling. I suggest you read a little about gems from extracts of the late great Elizabeth Taylor on my love affair with jewelry hope it helps darling .birkel!!!!

whew! what a read! thanks birkel. i'm not that grand and i don't think i'd have the guts to wear what elizabeth taylor is wearing :smile: i don't attend grand galas so i think wearing them to ordinary restaurants would seem too much.

BBC,

Mikimoto pearls are always high in demand both consumers and resellers given its reputation for being the foremost in perfection. They have the capacity to source for the best pearls and technology.

However, there are other private jewellers who has the best sources of pearls as well for a lower price. Only that, they're private individualist who focus primarily within a small target market. Most importantly, is to understand on how to choose the best pearls.:smile:

I found an article, not the best, just to share:

http://www.divaasia.com/article/9944

Thank you, IFFAH. That's a good basic article.

baileylab, the set you posted is stunning. If you really like it then go for it.

Brand doesn't matter to me. I will only buy fine jewelry form big brands if there is a particular design that I really like.

Take advantage that you are in Asia you can find quality Jewerly with no brands. Everyone appreciates jewelry, not all can understand H.

Couldn't agree more :graucho: Asia is a great place for getting quality non branded jewelry. I'd only go for the big names if I wanted an iconic piece from that particular brand... mostly I source my own stones and have them custom designed and set.

x

Diamond stud earrings or pearls are my fave. The diamonds fall into the category of set it and forget it; I don't have to rely on memory to remove pearls before jumping into the pool or the shower, etc. A strand of pearls is as much a staple as a black handbag. My leaning has always been to the simple yet elegant -- nothing ostentatious. Funky is for costume, fun pieces but OTT real jewelry scares me from the mugging perspective.

This week an article caught my attention because there was a pic of house resembling an airplane hangar in shape; however both front and rear sides were glass. The bedrooms, baths were subterranean; the yard simple and expansive. Point -- the rich are being less overt these days and are hiding the extravagance.

I think it depends on what you're buying. Something like a watch, clearly, needs to be a brand to have/maintain value. But unless you're buying an iconic or specific piece of jewelry, I don't personally think it's necessary in and of itself to buy a brand name, because you are spending 50% more just for the name.

For example, if you like the Van Cleef look and design, you should buy Van Cleef. Or Judith Ripka. Or Tiffany. That is when you would buy the brand name. But if you just want a pretty set of jewelry, then just go somewhere reputable.

I have had both branded and no name jewelry - and I say "had", because my good brand name jewelry was stolen - and I find that generally, I don't really want a designer piece because I will either see it coming and going or people will know where I got it and what I spent. I like to design my own pieces and have them made (I've done that with earrings, very simple and I get exactly what I want), which makes them more "me".

You are so on it with this response BBC! And Bailey, the diamonds are gorgeous! To me, if they are singing to your soul, you must have them especially when carrying your Hermes pieces. I do not see carrying a bag exclusively. To me, the hand and arm are connected so jewelry and bag must connect. Nothing is more stunning than a Birkin, or Kelly with the ring on the finger and bracelet to accentuate the body and bag! Go for the jewlery that YOU love. I personally have brand and non-brand. My diamonds are excellent quality non-brands because I will never sell them and my "fun" jewlery is Yurman, Tiffany, Coin--because if I get tired of them, the resale is good and I never feel like I lose much money. I always say to myself that I am "renting" my Yurman ring since I can turn around and sell it for half its value. Good luck Bailey girl!

LOVE the earrings. As long as you love it, and are going to wear them sufficiently to justify the investment, go for it. It doesn't matter whether they are a known brand or not as long as you are happy with the quality and design.

I tend to spend more on classic jewelry pieces that I know will get a lot of wear, like watches and earrings. My watches are branded but I have a trusted jeweler for stuff like earrings. I love the pieces you've posted, they are gorgeous! If you like them and they will get a lot of use, I say go for it.

whew! what a read! thanks birkel. i'm not that grand and i don't think i'd have the guts to wear what elizabeth taylor is wearing :smile: i don't attend grand galas so i think wearing them to ordinary restaurants would seem too much.

Oooo no no no darling naturally I did not mean you wear what liz Taylor used I could not wear it and Im usually a bit over the top no I mean to say this???? I recently read on how liz used to educate and help her assistant on buying gem stones on their travels for am far and point is she used to say that buying the jewelry must be a passion like say my passion is H and another womans passion could be louboutin or gucci or Cartier or any other interest the idea behind the post was that you saw if it was worth spending on jewlery so darling if you love it buy it ,it will only compliment your existing and future bags, we only live once right!!!!!.

P.s sorry for the read I told you I was a little over the top,LOL just kidding .best. Birkel.

go with branded jewelry if the particular style and look is iconic to them (i.e. cartier love bracelet, vca clover motif). but in terms of jewelry or h, i find that my priority changes based on what i am infatuated with. if i fall in love with a piece of jewelry, my funds go towards that one, but if i fall in love with something h, then i fund my h. if you fall in love with both, then figure out which one will be harder to get later on and then get that first.

in the end, we only have one neck, two arms, and just a whole lotta stuff....if you pass on one thing, i'm sure there will be something else that will come later on that will catch your fancy.

I would definitely go with jewelry. At this point in my life, however, I am fortunate enough to have been blessed with the good stuff. No need for anything else. I think that a previous poster said to jump in a pool with pearls. If they are cultured pearls, I'd be really careful. Diamonds are safe in anything, but pearls, are very delicate. I like only simple pieces. A diamond or two here, two or three there, lol. I've never gone in for name brand jewelry. My grandparents taught me the value of diamonds, pearls, fine craftsmanship, etc. I'm fussy about what I wear. I'd rather spend $10,000 on a very excellent diamond than a handbag if given the choice now. I go for watches, of course, with good names, but nothing over the top. Less is more. A beautiful strand of perfect pearls. A diamond as good as you can afford and great diamond stud earrings. Then the bag. Priorities, ladies!
But be careful with pearls, please. I'm quite certain that chlorine from swimming pools can hurt them.