Young and in Love.....With Hermes!!!

Thanks for this thread, CobaltBlu!

Wasn't as lucky to have carried or even liked H when I was in high school or college, but being 21 (well, have been for a few years now ;)), I guess I fit right under the age limit :P

So let me begin this thread with a long one. I am -25 and I have a year left of my second BA. So my life consists mostly of school, travel, friends,work and dating boys. Sometimes they don't seem like men at all. (Imature and stupid. You know how it is. :P ) The normal stuff of someone who doesn't have anybody else to worry about. I don’t have any big commitments like children or a significant other. My parents don't even know much about H and they don't enable me. I spend my money the way I like it and it is mine. I don't use their money for Hermès and would never do that. I love it that because it makes me feel so independent and gives me a sense of accomplishment.They have thought me well and I mostly use my money for real estate and travels. So really think about what is important in life and for you. Hermès is a passion. Something that enriches my life, but ISN'T my entire life if you understand what I mean?

I get my support about Hermès here and from my friends. As a newbie you should catch up on the history. Don't just go for the Birkin because it is so famous but go for it because you love it. Is it really the perfect bag for you? Check out the Picotin or Jypsiere. Or even the Kelly. I use my bag on the public transport all the time. Think well and hard what bag you should get. I understand completely that is hard because as young person patience isn't always ones virtue. Don’t get it just because VB (Victoria Beckham) looks good with one and has more Birkins than you can count. It should be perfect for you. And if it isn’t you won’t be comfortable and you need that to pull of the entire look. It is like everything else. You should wear it, not the bag wearing you.

So for months I spent hours and hours reading about the different leathers and lurking in this forum. I decides after a long while what was right for me and the place I live in. This is the bag I ended up with. I have a quarky style and the Kelly is perfect for me because I know I will use the bag my whole life. The best advice someone gave me (another young tpf-member) was that you shouldn’t buy anything if you don’t LOVE it. You need to LOV, LOVE the item you are buying because it is a lot of money. And also you need to take care of it good because it is in the name of Hemès to care for the things you buy and love.
Me and my 35 Black Togo Kelly. My HG. (Holy Grail).

15.jpg

This is my reveal for Miss Kelly. http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/a-love-story-an-h-reveal-609928.html

What a lovely story, thenurse, and fantastic advice you gave! Though I would also like to add: check out the Lindy! I think it's one of those H bags that is stylish yet classic, and fits in perfectly with a young, casual lifestyle.

Okay, so I'm a little bit two old for this thread, in my 30s now, but to thenurse and ariluvya, you're making me want a kelly so much. You both have great style. I'll be checking this thread often!

The Lindy is also a lovely bag. I saw the bag many times in London. It is lovely and look at this picture from the runway. It also doubles as a shoulder bag.

pinklindy.jpg

Grace Kelly, the most stylish person to have lived according to me at least was a very interesting woman.You should read more about her if you haven't and try to see the exhibit that is in London for the moment. Hermès named the bag after her and as a style icon she made the bag so famous and popular that they later named the bag after her. I also recommend her movies. Especially Rear Window! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Kelly

grace-kelly-rear-window.jpg

There is also another bag that is maybe more suitable for young people. It is a hobo that is amazing and the prices are lower than the Birkin or even the Kelly. Is is the So Kelly and was released just a few years ago. It is gorgeous and has the same hardware as the regular Kelly. It holds a lot and fits perfect over your shoulder.

00100m1.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread, CobaltBlu!

I am 19, just started university/college, and am saving up for tuition mostly, but there is an H fund in my savings accounts somewhere... =) I have a small H collection which I look forward to sharing with you sometime soon!

Thank you for sharing your stories thenurse , ariluya, mattking2000

my story........

It all started with me doing some “research” on the Kelly bag……(when I was procrastinating over my postgraduate studies)

And then Hermes……….

And then I found this forum!

…and I love TPF – there is so much knowledge and passion, and most encouraging of all, members are so friendly and so willing to share their knowledge.

My first item was a scarf (and it is still my favourite! It’s the one with the tassel pattern, starting with P……) purchased when I was still on my stipend...and now finally working normally, my most recent purchase was a Kelly 28 :biggrin:.

Great thread! :heart: :heart: :heart:

And did I say I love this forum?!? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Guess it's my turn to share my story!

I've just recently completed high school, and will be going for college really, really soon. I was born into a family that is able to support me well. During my early years (12~14), I was really into Prada, Gucci and Vuitton items. My first bag was a Prada nylon backpack. But as I grew older, I begin to venture into the world of BV, Balenciaga and H for bags.

In my circle of friends and where I studied and lived, it is not unusual for kids and pre-teens to have designer things. It's kinda like a norm. Everyone in my school has branded school bags. Our uniforms were also either tailor made or ordered from stores (e.g. Ralph Lauren, etc.). Contrary to what others may think, no one in my school ever brags or shows off. People may say that we're spoiled or that we're brats, but that is untrue. We know that we're lucky to have a family that can support us and in return, we get good grades in hopes of becoming someone that makes our parents & grandparents proud of us. I absolutely hate it when people judge others without knowing that person.

I guess I have to say that the reason why I like H is because of my taste. Ever since I was young, I've always liked clean-cut suits, preppy clothes and dandy ensembles. Even my mom calls me an old man :lol: And I was lucky enough to find a group of friends (that I consider to be my brothers) that shares the same style, taste and likings for fashion-related things. I'm also lucky that my girlfriend likes and appreciates H as much as I do :smile:

So whenever either one of us decides to get something, we'll all go together. Usually when choosing to buy something, I will think about how it matches my outfits, how many outfits I can wear it with and it's size. As for accessories, sometimes I just can't control myself :P I'll buy it first and think later. Not exactly a good habit, but I share it with my 'brothers' so it's fine.

For example;

I can wear a black Birkin 40 with a formal ensemble :

attachment.php

Or a casual ensemble :

picture.php

And I could pair both of those outfits with this pair of shoes :

attachment.php

People that I admire for their fashion sense and style would be :

Baptiste Giabiconi, Charles Guislain and Choi Seung-hyun (aka T.O.P).

T.O.P would be my fashion icon because of his courage and ability to pull of certain looks and accessories :

picture.php

I admire how he is able to pull of the Chanel ring and necklace, as well as a Judith Lieber Pig clutch in his music video 'Turn It Up'.

Clothing wise, I've always liked Dior Homme (Heidi Slimane era), D&G, Balmain, All Saints, Dsquared, Canali, Brioni, Brooks Brothers, Lanvin, Y-3 and Z Zegna.

For all leather bags, I never think that there's an age limit attached to the bag. It all depends on styling. If you're 15 but know how to dress, then you can pair it with a picotin or even a lindy. Also, one must be mature enough to be able to pull of the full H look, or any look that matters. Look at Charles Guislain; he manages to pull of Rick Owens, Comme des Garçons and Pierre Hardy shoes perfectly.

I hope that more people would actually start their H collection young, because then they can grow with the brand and learn to appreciate it more. Also, I was taught to dress based on taste and style, not by following somebody else. Always take the current trend and interpret it into your own. Another big :nono: is to never buy something just because it's expensive.

I hope that more teens and young adults will come here and share their H stories and items as well!

Thank you CobaltBlu for starting this thread!!

Last edited:
Thank you CobaltBlu for starting this thread. I think it's a great idea to have a place dedicated to those weird alien young people so they can chat. Just kidding ;)
Question for ya: Could you please identify the color of this SO Kelly? alezan? etrusque? and is it togo? TIA

Yay! I'm considered young in this thread!! Just graduated from USC undergrad last year and just got my 1st birkin(UHG color and size) last month.

thenurse, ariluvya, thank you for sharing your inspiring and insightful experiences and words!! I wish I could pass on some wisdom. Perhaps I'll tell my story some other time, ^_^.

Thanks for starting this thread, CobaltBlu!

I am 19, just started university/college, and am saving up for tuition mostly, but there is an H fund in my savings accounts somewhere... =) I have a small H collection which I look forward to sharing with you sometime soon!

And I can't wait to have you share it with us! :yahoo:

Guess it's my turn to share my story!

I've just recently completed high school, and will be going for college really, really soon. I was born into a family that is able to support me well. During my early years (12~14), I was really into Prada, Gucci and Vuitton items. My first bag was a Prada nylon backpack. But as I grew older, I begin to venture into the world of BV, Balenciaga and H for bags.

In my circle of friends and where I studied and lived, it is not unusual for kids and pre-teens to have designer things. It's kinda like a norm. Everyone in my school has branded school bags. Our uniforms were also either tailor made or ordered from stores (e.g. Ralph Lauren, etc.). Contrary to what others may think, no one in my school ever brags or shows off. People may say that we're spoiled or that we're brats, but that is untrue. We know that we're lucky to have a family that can support us and in return, we get good grades in hopes of becoming someone that makes our parents & grandparents proud of us. I absolutely hate it when people judge others without knowing that person.

I guess I have to say that the reason why I like H is because of my taste. Ever since I was young, I've always liked clean-cut suits, preppy clothes and dandy ensembles. Even my mom calls me an old man :lol: And I was lucky enough to find a group of friends (that I consider to be my brothers) that shares the same style, taste and likings for fashion-related things. I'm also lucky that my girlfriend likes and appreciates H as much as I do :smile:

So whenever either one of us decides to get something, we'll all go together. Usually when choosing to buy something, I will think about how it matches my outfits, how many outfits I can wear it with and it's size. As for accessories, sometimes I just can't control myself :P I'll buy it first and think later. Not exactly a good habit, but I share it with my 'brothers' so it's fine.

For example;

I can wear a black Birkin 40 with a formal ensemble :

Or a casual ensemble :

And I could pair both of those outfits with this pair of shoes :

People that I admire for their fashion sense and style would be :

Baptiste Giabiconi, Charles Guislain and Choi Seung-hyun (aka T.O.P).

T.O.P would be my fashion icon because of his courage and ability to pull of certain looks and accessories :

I admire how he is able to pull of the Chanel ring and necklace, as well as a Judith Lieber Pig clutch in his music video 'Turn It Up'.

Clothing wise, I've always liked Dior Homme (Heidi Slimane era), D&G, Balmain, All Saints, Dsquared, Canali, Brioni, Brooks Brothers, Lanvin, Y-3 and Z Zegna.

For all leather bags, I never think that there's an age limit attached to the bag. It all depends on styling. If you're 15 but know how to dress, then you can pair it with a picotin or even a lindy. Also, one must be mature enough to be able to pull of the full H look, or any look that matters. Look at Charles Guislain; he manages to pull of Rick Owens, Comme des Garçons and Pierre Hardy shoes perfectly.

I hope that more people would actually start their H collection young, because then they can grow with the brand and learn to appreciate it more. Also, I was taught to dress based on taste and style, not by following somebody else. Always take the current trend and interpret it into your own. Another big :nono: is to never buy something just because it's expensive.

I hope that more teens and young adults will come here and share their H stories and items as well!

Thank you CobaltBlu for starting this thread!!

Balenciaga-boy, you look absolutely fantastic! :ps:

Your girlfriend is lucky to have an SO who appreciates H and all things luxury ;)

This thread is for me too then!! I'll post some about my start with Hermes and items tomorrow :smile:.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

CobaltBlu, thanks for starting this thread! Perfect for all the newbies like me.. I'm 20 and doing my masters at university now and am hunting for my first kelly! I have been a bag lover for as long as I can remember and believe in saving for and investing in well made, timeless classics that I can treasure for many years to come. No impulse buys for me :P Hope to learn plenty from all the lovely people here :smile:

Love all the stories so far and can't wait to read more of what everyone else has to share!