You wont stress over your Louis Vuitton Bags after this :*

It should be pointed out that vachetta leather is very different from other kinds of leather, which are finished. Most conditioners have a warning not to use on unfinished or vachetta leather. On regular treated leathers, most conditioners are safe to use and actually improve the leather, as it loses moisture over time that needs to be replenished.

I got my advice on how to treat vachetta from a website like this: https://www.lollipuff.com/blog/223/how-to-refurbish-a-louis-vuitton-bag#comment-start=end I've used it several times. For cleaning, I use white vinegar rather than water. Vinegar has a ph that is closer to the ph of leather so it is less harsh than water. Water can cause water spotting. Vinegar can help minimize water spotting. I'll dip the magic eraser in vinegar rather than water.

You don't need to condition your vachetta but if you want to, Cadillac conditioner won't change the color or damage the leather. It will provide a layer of protection against stains.
I'm sorry but that definitely should not be pointed out. Adding leather cleaner or conditioner to your bag does nothing except for attract dirt it completely ruins your vachetta leather overtime. vachetta leather is calfskin leather it is untreated it is meant to be that way. Louis Vuitton website says it over and over again only to clean your leather with water! do not add any saddle soap, leather conditioner leather cleaners, or anything to your bag at any time and they should be avoided at all costs. So take your advice from whoever you want but my bags are absolutely gorgeous and I wouldn't clean or treat them any other way. Also when it comes to vinegar that is a substance and let's go back to what Louis Vuitton says all substances should be avoided at all costs the only thing that you should use is a damp cloth with water.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD1123 and Namwan-
I'm sorry but that definitely should not be pointed out. Adding leather cleaner to your bag does nothing except for attract dirt it completely ruins your bag overtime bacchetta leather is calfskin leather it is untreated it is meant to be that way Louis Vuitton website says it over and over again only to clean your bag with water do not add any saddle soap leather conditioner leather cleaners are anything to your bag at any time they should be avoided at all costs. So take your advice from whoever you want but my bags are absolutely gorgeous and I wouldn't clean or treat them any other way
It's vachetta. I said vachetta is not the same as other leathers. Oils from your hands will stain it. If you use any product other than what is recommended Louis Vuitton, you've voided any warranty, if there is any.

I buy mostly leather bags from other companies, and I've found that with those bags, conditioning helps maintain the leather as well as protect from stains and color transfer. Ask any leather worker and they will have a favorite leather conditioner. I've found vintage bags that weren't conditioned regularly and the leather has deteriorated to a point they couldn't be saved. My oldest bag was made in the early 1960s and the leather is still supple from regular conditioning.

Good luck with your bags.

For non-vachetta (all the coated leather like in DE and canvas), have any of y'all seen any adverse side effects from using baby wipes (like Huggies Natural sensitive no-alcohol...I only have DE pieces and wipe down once per month)? Should we still condition DE's leather? If so, best one to use?

vachetta leather that Louis Vuitton uses is crafted from cowhide leather and calf leather . And yes I have stated in multiple videos that if I had a leather belt or a leather saddle it is different than the Louis Vuitton vachetta untreated leather and yes in those cases I would use a leather conditioner and cleaner :smile:

It's vachetta. I said vachetta is not the same as other leathers. Oils from your hands will stain it. If you use any product other than what is recommended Louis Vuitton, you've voided any warranty, if there is any.

I buy mostly leather bags from other companies, and I've found that with those bags, conditioning helps maintain the leather as well as protect from stains and color transfer. Ask any leather worker and they will have a favorite leather conditioner. I've found vintage bags that weren't conditioned regularly and the leather has deteriorated to a point they couldn't be saved. My oldest bag was made in the early 1960s and the leather is still supple from regular conditioning.

also yes other companies use different leather and I would definitely do what they say to do. But this post was in regards to Louis Vuitton leather and that was it

For non-vachetta (all the coated leather like in DE and canvas), have any of y'all seen any adverse side effects from using baby wipes (like Huggies Natural sensitive no-alcohol...I only have DE pieces and wipe down once per month)? Should we still condition DE's leather? If so, best one to use?
I wouldn't recommend baby wipes for anything why would you use that when you can just use a soft damp cloth. Also if we are talking about the same thing that is coated leather you don't need to condition it. At least I wouldn't. ;)

I would be afraid to use baby wipes. I don't know where that started. I think you are safer using something that is specifically designed for leather. They make wipes with leather cleaner or conditioner. Why not use those?

I would be afraid to use baby wipes. I don't know where that started. I think you are safer using something that is specifically designed for leather. They make wipes with leather cleaner or conditioner. Why not use those?

I have been telling people this on this forum and on instagram! In the care booklet, it specifically states not to use anything else other than a damp cloth...I don't know where the baby wipes/magic eraser ideas came from either. People who have been collecting for 5/10/15 years apparently have done this and encourage/advise others to follow pursuit and I just joined the LV world like 7 months ago and I'm usually correcting these "louis vuitton experts" that apparently know more about the bags than the designers themselves; but unfortunately I found that my advices just fall on deaf ears and it's only taken with a grain of salt so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thank you for saying this!!! I cannot agree more! LV issued the booklet for a reason and that is in other words the "bible" for the customer. Unfortunately many think they are smarter and their rules are better than the other...then they cry that their bag got damaged...then they run to the store and exchange the bag, because they have a very good relationship with SA (spent a lot of money) and then somebody purchases already damaged bag...and the only thing which is truly necesarry to do is to follow the rules given by LV...it is that simple.

Last edited:

Hi sorry if I sounded harsh but their are so many people that treat their bags wrong :sad: Here is my original video where I do talk about other types of leather that I would condition. However with the VL I just use the oils from my hands and arms to condition them naturally. Hope you like it :smile: